News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I actually looked into that. The wind direction at Reagan Airport is almost always North/South so if you're directly under the roof, windblown rain won't be an issue at the edges most of the time (unless you sit in the corners). My seats are also right on the edge of the roof line, but just under.

sitruc repped this.
  2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well chin up the games are almost always more exciting in the late second half, not to imply the first 60 minutes aren't any great shakes. Let me know what the cost per minute BIS (butt in seat) works out to be. I'd happily buy you all the Anchor Steam you can drink (limit 1 case) if I'm impressed (and we cross paths). YMMV

3. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Whoops, I meant I noticed the Last rows were dry.

4. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now advertising on Metrorail. (Just a poster and not a wrapping of the actual train car). DCUposterMetro.jpg Short of checking the website, I wonder if people know where Audi Field is located.

sitruc repped this.
  5. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    #10055 D C B 2 3, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Paid a visit this morning.

Cement plant is coming down. That is going to improve the overall feel of the area even if it is just a vacant lot.

Lot's of people walking/biking around. I like it.

The World Cup viewing area needs better signage, we saw one woman go all the way down to the animal preservation building then turn back thinking she was n the wrong place, she then passed us again behind the scoreboard looking tired and angry.

Many internal lights on and I swear I thought I heard the PA being tested.

Pepco is painting the cinder block walls surrounding their space.

Are those drink machines staying outside of the concession stands?

sitruc and DCUSKINS repped this.
  6. T-Bo

T-Bo Member

Feb 7, 2007
    It looks like they are laying out the lines on the field right now. When I can see lines on the field, it will seem like it is an actual stadium for soccer to me.

I can't wait to see my first game in the stadium. First seeing "my" team in its own home will be a special moment for me, as I've been watching the local team in renting digs since watching the Diplomats play at - I think - Woodson High School, in Fairfax.

I really do think this new stadium is a beautiful thing.

Peace.

T

7. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I’m sitting in the World Cup beer garden right now after walking around Audi field. I don’t know what the haters and complainers are looking at, cause Audi field is glorious. I love the design. The wood, the brick, the glass. It’s stunning. Can’t wait to get inside.

BTW, to the concern about still pouring concrete, they aren’t. That road is paved with curbs. It was only the raised pedestrian part that had concrete.

8. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    The field is looking good. I wish the cameras are on the west side.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  9. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I saw Pele play at Woodson. As we get closer to opening check out the Are You Experienced (no I didn't see Hendrix at Woodson) thread to trade on-site visit and game day stories.

D C B 2 3 repped this.
  10. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like on the south side the LED boards are going from end line to end line.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Eventually I might post photos from this weekend. The site is still busy today.

You probably did hear the PA @D C B 2 3. I didn't think painting those PEPCO walls would be a multiple day job.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I’m really curious about the LED board behind the south goal. Any updates on that?

13. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Field lines are going down and now we get a real sense of field width and how close to the action fans will be.

Winoman, D C B 2 3 and John L repped this.
  14. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    There is a large amount of scaffolding being constructed on top of the building leading up to the back on that LED space. What that means, I have no idea.

Winoman repped this.
  15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the goals aren't in yet, but it looks like there's a lot of room behind both goals. Is the the field 120 yards long?

16. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's been mentioned about 100 times on this thread alone ... pitch is
    115 x 75(yards).

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why 115? Looks like plenty of room for 120

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think the question was about the potential LED video screens behind the goal beneath the main seating and not what is normally shown as an audi ad at the top of the venue (although that may also be video boards).

19. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    I see field-level panels are powered up on the North end. Or at least 1-2 panels.

That is going to be something I will need to get used to watching United at home.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 115 is quite common, with 120 being the maximum allowable. To me, width is more important than length.

fatbastard and rickinva repped this.
  21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A stadium site I visited listed RFK as only 110 yards long, the same as Portland and NYFC playing in Yankee Stadium. Toronto; Columbus; Houston and San Jose were shown as 115 yards, while Vancouver and Dallas are 117 and Seattle is 116. Yes, I could see going another 5 yards in length if the site allowed it, but I'm OK with 115 x 75.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  22. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yup, I misread. Thanks for the comment. The top sign I'm talking about looks to be static from the rendering I guess.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It was always shown and described as regular audi signage, but I've been told it could be video boards for the score. I have no idea at this point.

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think subs need room to warm up. Doesn't appear to be much of that on the sidelines.

Falc and ejs1111 repped this.
  25. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, five less yards to screw up the finish and sky the ball into the stands.

Adler repped this.