News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    WTF? Is that supposed to be funny?

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got into a semi-heated discussion over Mosby's status as hero vs traitor one day at my favorite LoCo brewery - over one of the few "pepper beers" I have ever enjoyed - a Mosby's Ghost :) That beer made a good chili too.
    He's (more accurately his name) still quite popular in the area, especially around Middleburg.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  3. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about "the Loudon County Spies," "the Loudon County Bloodhounds," or "the Loudon County Red Foxes?" It's almost too bad that "the LC Grey Ghost," can never happen -- it would be too much fun. Actually, Mosby, himself, not only became a loyal Republican but also served as U.S. Grant's Virginia campaign manager in 1868. Later, he served U.S. Grant as a troubleshooter in Western territories, served as a diplomat under Rutherford Hayes, and served as a Justice Department lawyer under Theodore Roosevelt.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Loudoun Hounds is still copyrighted/owned by the fools who still think they can bring a minor-league baseball team to Loudoun - that organization ended up taking down the once-soon-to-be Virginia Cavalry FC a few years back as collateral damage - their President would have been Mark Simpson if they had survived.

Winoman repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Winoman repped this.
  6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a very nice run down housing project named after him in Richmond.

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized I was confusing Leesburg with Winchester. It's Winchester which has an annual Apple Harvest Festival. Leesburg has squat, as far as I know. Considering that the town is named for a Confederate general you could, depending on your views, name the team the Rebels or the Traitors, or the Lost Cause.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Not hard to do.

Winoman repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Close but no Gettysburg --from Wiki "Leesburg was renamed to honor the influential Thomas Lee and not, as is popular belief, his son Francis Lightfoot Lee who lived in Loudoun and brought up the bill to establish Leesburg, nor as is sometimes thought, Robert E. Lee (his great-grandnephew).[7] When the post office was established in Leesburg in 1803 the branch was named "Leesburgh"; the 'h' persisted until 1894.[5]" Off point there was a popular trend to drop the "h" from city names ending in burgh. They tried with Pittsburgh and folks up thataway like their history to stand as written so the "h" returned.

Winchester =Patsy Cline, Leesburg =Arthur Godfrey

dadman, fatbastard, Eastern Bear and 2 others repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Jeeze and to think once you had to be crazy to get into St E's. How things have changed.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Grey Ghosts and The Band's The Night they Drove old Dixie Down as the opening song would certainly draw some national attention to the franchise.

tallguy repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not necessarily as much as you may think when you go over there.

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Not quite sure I'll wander over there unless being the subject of a silver alert is in my future, so I'll do as I usually do and take your word for it

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was mostly referring to the campus itself. Of course part of it is Coast Guard and DHS and DC agencies now. It's strange seeing so many of the older buildings remain and used in new ways. Most of the the campuses are still fenced off due to their usage. Some of the larger buildings on the main campus are obviously abandoned and somewhat razed, but still standing. They look perfect for a horror movie.

Winoman repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Begs the question are the fences there to keep the bad guys out or the good guys in. Same for the Suitland Federal Center.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed from Goff's report today on DCU's push for a USL team in Leesburg that "Loudon" must be in the team's name. Consequently, my name choice for this new club is the "Loudon Hounds." Not only does it honor foxhunting ("The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable," said Oscar Wilde). but steeplechasing and other horse and hound activities the area is known for. And better yet, you get the double "ou" sound in "Loudon" and "Hounds." After a goal, fans will be encouraged to howl.

Winoman repped this.
  17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Loudoun.
    Just for spelling reasons alone, Loudoun shouldn't be in the name. :)

dadman and sitruc repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so ashamed at botching the spelling of the county's name. You can tell I spend very little time in said county.

19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't be. The only reason I got it right is because the last time Loudoun was getting a team our resident Loudounite informed me that Loudon was a racetrack in NH.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not bad to quote yourself if it's to re-answer a comment, right ;)

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I resemble that remark - that is my go-to retort :D

22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm betting that kits get made with the team name spelled wrong on them. They will be the only US lower-level team that has demand for their used equipment sale. :)

Winoman repped this.
  23. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    If so, then Loudon United is the obvious choice. (sure as hell can't call it Loundon City, now can they? Cough cough)

Once upon a time, the use of "United" would have immediately indicated a connection to DC United.
    Now? They better confirm that there are no "Loudon" placenames anywhere near Atlanta or the Twin Cities . . .

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Loudoun should just give up and rename itself.

I suppose it's worth mentioning in this thread that the Spirit may play a single game at Audi this year and multiple games in the future.

25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Preemptively THE Loudoun Hounds or the Huckleberries as they will be known to their opponents