News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Terpitude

Terpitude Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I've done a rough count of the club level seats sold and more than half are sold. I'm saying that selling 90% of your suites and more than half of all club seats 8 months before the venue is even complete seems to me to be a pretty good place at this point. I don't think it's the disaster that some people think it is. They will probably not sell out of the club seats to STH for years. The Caps always have club level available and sell them for single games.

2. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Man, my Dec 4 window feels like an eternity now. I have my go-to list but also a bad feeling that I will begin scratching seats off over the next two weeks.

On the positive side, I do see single seaters opening up and that's what I am going for.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dcchelseafc repped this.
  4. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Ha, yeah right lol. My guess is most of stuff gone, or this is a bone there throwing us....I could be wrong and they realized they pissed us off enough.

shawn12011 repped this.
  5. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Except this FO has thrown in EVERYTHING to completely sellout those sections. Remember just a little over a month the plan was nothing but STH in EVERY seat. They then backed off that and put a cap on 12,500 STH seats available (which is 3k more than they have now) to try to push the fact there is limited quantity. I am sure that will change soon when they can't even sell 12k ST. The reason they wanted to just sell premium first for so long was they expected it to completely sell out by the time the rest of the seats went on sale. We, both supporters and non supporters told them no way in hell, we know the market better than them, but alas they didnt listen and they dropped the price of the outer club level seats.

I would love nothing more than a wait list for STH, but with the mistakes made in the last couple of years, it will take a new FO for that to happen I believe.

Eastern Bear and sitruc repped this.
  6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well if I had to settle a score with someone who pissed me off, getting them to stand in line to buy game used jockstraps at 2x cost is certainly a satisfying way of getting revenge.Maybe they are playing you not the opposite.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Based on photos and the webcams, it was reopened the week of July 24. The camera was down for a few days that week. The additional two-way streets have made it a bit more difficult in that area.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The team will still be training at RFK until they build a practice facility somewhere.

9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See those of us from the old school equipment sale (my best spot I ever got in line was #5) already have everything we want or need. So if the prices are jacked up or choices are not there we leave without spending a dollar. I must have 40-50 jerseys. 30-40 pairs of shorts. A winter jacket. 10-15 other jackets and warmups. There is nothing I have to have. Hell even the Gelnovatch jersey us old schoolers remember has a home (MM).

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Do you have a Marion Barry get out of jail worn warm up suit? There's the jewel in the crown of United collectibles

shawn12011 repped this.
  11. Numero1latino

Numero1latino New Member

DC United
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Crap that would suck big time. I was already second guessing renewing this year and now this. The wife aint happy thats for sure. My seat selection was today too :( Anyone sees this as a positive?

12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't believe anyone would. Gamedays are my favorite thing to do of all the things, and even I'm sure I'll get burnt out and/or have to miss a few games if they are every single weekend.

One positive is if they are playing good soccer and not eliminated by September, it will be a great run-in to the playoffs with almost every game at home.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Actually the Gelnovatch jersey is kinda cool. I thought of the yr 1 end of season VHS with Arena sitting in the locker room in front of a Gelnovatch jersey. recounting the season past. I wondered at the time if there was some sort of inside joke there since they were old buddies. I meant to ask him but never thought of it until you mentioned it, Sadly I can't remember if I took my meds this AM but this 22 yr old shit is clear as a bell.
    BTW there's a DC United ticket kiosk on the lower level of Tysons Corner Mall. You can get an eyebrow weave and your cell phone repaired while you check out some seats. But more up your alley they had some scarves that said SUPPORTER. I wasn't in the market for any of the services so I just chugged on by and didn't bother to ask.

14. Numero1latino

Numero1latino New Member

DC United
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    I am in the same boat as you. We love going to the games but if it was every weekend it would feel more as a requirement than a special event.

15. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Do you have a pic of this scarf?
    Supporter? damn DCU trying to put us all under one umbrella....booo you DCU

16. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sometimes i pull out my pink mesh Bonny Convey third jersey from the equipment sale. I think it was $50? Seemed expensive at the time but I was also in high school. I kind of miss those days of the sale.
    I’d get guys who lived in the district to go and get whatever they could find in a size medium. It didn’t always work out that well. For example: Convey Jersey

Sometimes it did work out tho, also For example: Convey Jersey

17. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    I will buy that jersey from you. Its one of 2 I do not have. The VT auction jersey and the awful pinkish Boca match jersey. (still hottest match EVER!!!!)

sitruc repped this.
  18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My best equipment sale pulls are a game worn Hamid goalkeeper jersey, and a Boskovic one that was buried in the "ex player" bin after he left. Who knew Boskovic would wear XL jerseys?

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  19. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I used to go to all the equipment sales, meet the team events, etc., but I haven't been to any in a while as it's a 3 hour (one way) trip for me. I'm excited about Audi Field; I've picked my seat and bought my ticket, but I am dreading the anticipated home game schedule. I've only missed one home game (including Open Cup and CONCACAF games) since 2006 when I was out of the country. That was the Crew game they scheduled at FedEx. I refuse to go there again. I think my streak may get broken next year.

Not trying to top your Convey jersey, which is very cool, but I've got a signed Ben Olsen pink mesh jersey. I got it at a one of the Meet the Team Events that was held at Dave and Busters. I was in line at the cash register, getting ready to pay for some stuff I was getting for a friend, when they put it on the table right next to me. I picked it up as fast as I could. After paying for it, I took it inside and had Ben sign it. A few years ago a guy offered me $500 for it and I turned him down.o_O I think it's gone down in value now.

asitis

greatscott, Winoman and dcchelseafc repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Do I have a picture? Noooo, I'm not one of those folks who walk through the mall taking pictures. You're kidding right?

Winoman and dcchelseafc repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Why did I want to make a Gadsen, Alabama joke?

22. OldTownFan

OldTownFan Member

D.C. United
    United States
    Nov 17, 2017
    #6747 OldTownFan, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    For what it is worth, the sales rep told me that they are happy with the pace of the club seat sales, expect them to be sold out or close to sold out prior to the start of the season, and would NOT sell club seats for single games. Of course, point 3 is only going to hold if point 2 actually happens.

One other note: I don't think they have made, for whatever reason, a concerted effort to sell club seats to existing STH. I am a 20-year STH in the mezzanine (albeit the non-club mezzanine), so you would expect that they would have been all over me to buy club seats in the new stadium, but I ended up pretty much doing it on my own. Maybe they have some research that says that there are club seat purchasers and non-club seat purchasers, but I never did it because I simply couldn't see the value in RFK. Of course, I might end up feeling that way at Audi too, but I did take the leap.

fatbastard, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Glad you made the leap. They were all over me. I certainly was tempted, but the wife and I are retiring next year and 4 Club Seats was a bridge way too far. As it is, I just got 4 seats near midfield for slightly less than the price of one Club Seat. Course I’ll have to figure out my own food and drink, but I’m pretty resourceful that way — just check my waistline.

ElApacheTevez, sitruc, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    As a career sales guy, I also subscribe to the adage that sales are always going better than expected. At least when I’m talking to customers. It’s literally chapter 1 of every sales book.

sitruc, jason1551 and Winoman repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My crown jewel of the equipment sale is a Cat in the Hat Onalfo jersey, which I wore to the final RFK match.

usadcu, fatbastard, jason1551 and 7 others repped this.