News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embedded:

sitruc, D C B 2 3 and Winoman repped this.
  2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
  3. Numero1latino

Numero1latino New Member

DC United
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    STH noobie here. So what is the idea behind the back to back home games? Is that due to the stadium not being ready on time, therefore, the first half of the games will be away and the remainder at home?

sitruc repped this.
  4. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    That big bar in the middle of the East stand...that open to all fans?

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Said the pigeon

Winoman and D C B 2 3 repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #6706 Q*bert Jones III, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Yes, exactly. There have been rumors that the stadium might not be ready until August. Even if we assume those untrue, we're still looking at July. If you try and compress all the home games into that space you're looking at something like 17 games in a row at home in, say, 12 weeks. And that's assuming the rest of the league is totally okay with DC scheduling it's first 17 games on the road. Plus there may be a World Cup break, just for laughs.

To me, even with the dangerous assumption that the stadium will be ready in mid-July, it seems nearly impossible.

And of course, if they play the entire first half of the season on the road, by the time of their home opener they'll be virtually eliminated from the playoffs.

Unless I'm reading it all wrong, 2018 is going to be frightening.

sitruc, Winoman and dcchelseafc repped this.
  7. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Yep, that IS pretty cool.
    Add roofs over the Ends and safe standing seats for the SGs in the North End and I could go back to feeling all Christmassy giddy about AF.

Just for kicks, scroll back up to Page 1 of this thread and relive how excited we all *used to* feel.

dcchelseafc, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  8. Terpitude

Terpitude Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Just based on its location, I think so. I must say, it looks pretty cool. It almost overcomes my aversion to being in direct sun.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    No. That is for the Club Seat folks. Drinks and food there are part of the $3K price for a single seat.

10. Terpitude

Terpitude Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think so. That appears to be on the top level where commoners seats are. The premium patio is on the level below.

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I looked at the seat selector and they are having a lot of trouble unloading those things. I wonder what the strategy is there? Partial plans, single game sales? Not sure how they can dump that inventory at a lower price without pissing off the existing season ticket holders. I suspect they'll back-door that inventory on stub-hub at much lower prices during the season.

12. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How could you possibly make this assessment by looking at the seat selector? You realize, right, that all current STMs haven't had their window to pick yet, let alone non STMs who want to buy season tickets? In my group that I stand with, many are adding seats to the number they currently purchase, and our windows haven't come up yet.

13. Terpitude

Terpitude Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    They've sold more than half of them (and nearly all of the most expensive ones) 8 months before opening. I'm pretty impressed with the progress. Even the Caps don't sell out their club level. DCU will do like the Caps do and sell these seats in promotions for single games at a discount off face value, but probably more per game than the STH pay.
    To be fair, the club level seats have been available for sale for anyone since August. I still think they're doing pretty well, though.

14. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, crap. I neglected to read the quoted post in Eastern Bear's post and didn't see he was referring only to club seats. Sorry!

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    As a reminder, DC United will not be a first-year team next season. The team has been playing in DC at RFK Memorial Stadium since 1996.

shawn12011, Winoman and usadcu repped this.
  16. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The street to the north of the stadium appears to have reopened? Only saying this because there’s a good old fashioned traffic jam going on in the stadium cam

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It has been open for months. It backs up everyday at rush hour and not as bad after some baseball games as do all of the roads around the stadium as people inevitably look for another way out (there is none).

18. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have sworn it was fenced off.
    Back to your regular scheduled programming.

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

Winoman repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang - so no expansion draft?

sitruc, Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they'll be a first-year team. The team that played in RFK ended when its tenure in RFK ended. This is a new team that has some of the same people, but will be different in every way that matters.

22. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe you're right, but those seats are pricey and DC United has never had much seating in the pricey category. That means the team is selling new products to new customers. If you saw my sales chart a few pages back you'll see that's the hardest sale to make. Perhaps they are making good progress. I don't have any frame of reference except the other categories of seats -- which are all doing better.

The thing is, many people here are disappointed with the team, and almost reluctantly still buying tickets - because we're almost all old customers. How that translates to newbies buying even more expensive tickets the first time for a team that sucks is a difficult math equation for me to digest.

23. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    They still have 2 suites for sale last time I saw and from what people saw only the midfield premium was sold, not much of anything as you move out. So Terpitude don't know what your saying.

I also heard tonight that there may be some home matches (3-4) early in the year....again from 2 sources neither who work for the club but have connections. If this is true goes back to Where? I'm more anxious for this schedule more than the stadium hahaha.

Winoman, sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Section 127 is almost full. Something like 30 seats left. 126 and 128 appear to be moving fairly well too especially along the aisles closest to midfield.

Tons of field and club seats still available.

Once things move on to the next seating category early next week it will be interesting to see how those cheaper areas do.

25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are things looking on the East side? Since I've already bought my seats, I can't look at the seat viewer with ticket inventory anymore.