News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe it started as Audio field but is now heading down to VW field territory.

james

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    We will have hit rock bottom if it becomes either SEAT or Skoda Field.

Winoman repped this.
  3. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    They do make a sick SEAT rally car...

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The best parts on my Audi were stamped VW, no kidding
    YUGO United! Has a real ring of truthiness, don't it?

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  5. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA

I drove a Seat Leon across Spain after the rental agent said it was way nicer than a VW Golf. It was not. Of course it was also my first time driving a manual (after only a 2 hr lesson). I made my fiancee cry on multiple occasions with my driving "ability". I'm pretty sure it almost caught on fire after I struggled up a hill. Good trip. Luckily she agreed to marry me before we left Barcelona.

DecadeOfDCU26, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    greatscott repped this.
  7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FWIW, there was some kind of old flythrough rendering of the venue on display in RFK. I assume it's the same thing that has been shown at those Union Market preview events.

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    key up celluloid heroes, it's an LA thing and something that would never cross our FO's itty bitty imaginations

asitis repped this.
  10. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Uh-huh.
    Just to be fair, if our FO had done something like that, we'd be hammering them for the stupidity of having us sign something that will never see the light of day again.
    Take lots of pics now, LmfAoFC fans, that's the last you'll ever see of the fricking thing.

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me,
    It's not so much the thing LAFC did, but the fact their HQ is using the stadium construction for what it is... marketing gold.

Winoman, sitruc and NicktheGreek repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    usadcu, big spaniel, QuietSide and 4 others repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    #4338 NicktheGreek, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Betcha a nickel they will have a nicely presented replica or photo in a prominent spot, near the busts of Cobi Jones, Cienfuegos, Landon, and that Brit with all the tats. It's LA,

14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that is the team that is not from LA - That is Carson.

This team has no players or a coach so they need to milk the stadium for all it is worth.

james

15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...d-lands-120m-from-two-banksto-cover-some.html

D.C. United has a mortgage.

The Major League Soccer team has landed $120 million, via two forms of financing, to pay for its share of Audi Field, the $300 million, 19,000-seat stadium now under construction at Buzzard Point in Southwest D.C.

Audi signed a multiyear naming rights deal for D.C. United's new stadium.

According to trust and loan documents filed with the D.C. Recorder of Deeds, D.C. United has obtained a $95 million loan from Goldman Sachs and another $25 million in financing from EagleBank. The latter is through the District's PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) program, which offers financing in exchange for energy saving building improvements. The PACE loan is repaid though special property tax assessments over a 20-year period and the amount financed does not count as company debt.

D.C. United declined to comment on the financing.

The soccer club and the District agreed in 2015 to share the stadium costs — D.C. would pay up to $150 million to acquire and prepare the land while the team would pay roughly the same for vertical construction.

D.C. United, which is leasing the land from D.C. for $1 per year, agreed to privately finance its piece, though it will receive property tax abatements and exemptions totaling at least $40 million over several decades. Audi signed on as the stadium sponsor in February.

That a major Wall Street institution like Goldman Sachs is willing to lay out so much for an MLS stadium is a mark of how far the league has come in its 21-year existence, our sister publication Sports Business Journal recently pointed out. In earlier years, soccer-specific stadium financing was structured more like a personal loan, with the ownership group backing the deal if team revenue was not sufficient to cover the loan. Newer loans are more like those in the NFL, NHL or MLB, with lenders willing to risk that their investment will be backed by revenues.

Goldman Sachs, meanwhile, has emerged as a sports facility power player, financing deals such as the new Yankee Stadium in New York, Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California, and British soccer club Tottenham Hotspur’s new $900 million home in London, among others. In MLS circles, the bank lent L.A. Football Club $145 million for its new Los Angeles home.

D.C. United qualified for the PACE financing because of its environmentally friendly stadium features, including its aim for LEED Gold certification, LED lighting, stormwater conservation and solar panel installation, said Kenley Farmer, associate director ‎of D.C.'s Department of Energy & Environment. DOEE has arranged for about a dozen PACE loans since 2013, she said.

Site work has been underway at Buzzard Point for more than a year, with construction kicking off after the D.C. Zoning Commission approved the stadium design in February. Want to see progress? Check out the site cam that takes a new picture every 30 minutes. Turner Construction is the general contractor.

The team has set an ambitious timeline for construction as it hopes to leave aging RFK Stadium for Audi Field during the 2018 season. When it opens, Audi Field is expected to lead the transformation of Buzzard Point, which remains a gritty industrial neighborhood The stadium is expected to generate about $1 billion in economic activity and create 1,000 construction and permanent jobs, while developers have lined up to build new residential projects around it

Eastern Bear, Hedbal, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  16. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect the ownership to finance the stadium. It's unusual for anybody to pay for major construction projects in cash. It's good that they seem to have gotten good financial terms where the stadium revenues are the collateral rather than ownership having to put up collateral out of personal assets like for the SSS's built in the 2000's.

17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Last night down by the cheesesteak stand, some reps had a drawing of what appeared to be a seating chart for the new stadium. I asked if it was the real seating chart (since my rep has said actual seat reservations won't occur until October for STH). I was told it was a "draft" but that the "real" seating chart would be released "soon." (Reported for accuracy of conversation but not the truth of the matter related by the rep.)

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Eben

Eben Member

Sep 16, 1999
    Fairfax, VA
    Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  20. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I was told last night that in 2-3 weeks I would be contacted to talk about next year. But I am on the field so maybe that's why. I hope they have some sort of final or nearly final seating plan by the time they expect me to give them any money or a commitment.

That stadiumdb article reads very oddly. Was it written in some other language and translated or something?

21. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    so they financed $120 million of the up to $150 million they said they would.

Now you know where they have been cutting corners, looks like trying to make the stadium $30 million less......

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  22. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    OK, but paving the Audi entryway with bricks engraved with the names of long-term supporters would be even cooler. That way, we can show newbie-friends our name "in stone".
    LAFC fans will only be able to point to the center circle and say "my name's on a chunk of cement buried 10 feet over *there*". Not as impressive.

Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At my job we're not building stadiums so I'm not sure what is a "standard" structure for this sort of real estate project, but we're generally around 30% equity/70% mortgage for our deals. They're only at 20% equity. Point is it's quite possible IMO that it's not cutting corners (sorry to disrupt the narrative) but just normal deal structure where it wouldn't make sense to take on the additional interest on $30M

Cavan9, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Oops, but it's LA not the first time everyone gets mentioned in the credits regardless of the depth of involvement.

25. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    well wouldn't the 150 million the city gave them count as that......