Screw ins allowed?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Louisvillereferee, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    So pretty straight forward are screw ins allowed in high school and club soccer? I can't seem to find any soft ground cleats that aren't metal or aluminum so are these allowed in field of play? What do you look for on a cleat check pregame?

2. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    There's no rule against it.

3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not an answer to your question, but you have the Barcelona badge next to Real Madrid's name in your avatar!

PH

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Anything safe is allowed, unsafe is not, screw on or not. If they are sharp don't allow them regardless of if they are fixed or changeable.

cmonref repped this.
  5. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    There should only be a Real Madrid and I don't see a Barcelona badge on it.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    FIFA just says proper footwear shall be worn. Proper most likely includes safe to opponents.

the NCAA rule is:

“4.4 Shoes
    Shoes shall be worn by all participants in a game. Shoes with soles containing aluminum, leather, rubber, nylon or plastic cleats, studs or bars, whether molded as part of the sole or detachable, are allowed as long as the referee does not consider them dangerous.
    4.5 Articles
    4.5.1 A player shall not wear anything that is dangerous to any player.”

Excerpt From: National Collegiate Athletic Association. “2016-17 Soccer Rules.”

Below those levels, things get fuzzy. You need to ask the league.

When this was asked in 2007, this was posted:

(NFHS?)
    "06-07 rulebook: 3.1.k:
    shoes must be worn by all participants in a game. shoes with soles containing metal (...) leather, rubber, nylon, or plastic cleats, studs, or bars, whether molded as part of the sole or detachable, are allowed as long as the referee does not consider then dangerous or they have been altered in any way creating sharp edges thus rendering them unsafe."

( clumsy use of 'or' ?)

I read Massachusetts disallows any metal on cleats, even the tips.
    http://asktheref.com/Soccer Rules/Question/22676/
    Some states only allow "soft" cleats presumably plastic, and some entities disallow cleat patterns with a central forward cleat as too dangerous. I don't know of any commercially made shoe made for soccer with a central forward cleat.
    Check with your league. Some lacrosse shoes, which look a lot like soccer shoes, do have the single forward cleat as part of the pattern.
    Some high school leagues do allow some shoes with central forward cleats but disallow blade-type hard molded cleats ( examples shoes were sold as football shoes)

http://www.teamsideline.com/Org/Con...=HcJRiFH0QsMQgerMefMdMEm1ItAhBLjkZyvZoGfQLC4=

Finally, some high school or youth rules disallow any cleats longer than 1/2".

If you get shoes with screw studs, have soft screw-ins available if the ref or league decides metal tips are dangerous. There are plenty of soft safety screw-ins made ($4-$10 a set on Amazon. Precision is one brand ). Just be careful they aren't the larger ones for football. And all the big companies list safety studs in their offerings. Google safety studs soccer.

A referee should be checking the cleats are in good repair (Nothing sharp or dangerous) and that the screw-ins aren't so worn that screw studs are exposed, even if they are allowed.
    I have seen players told to replace cleats at pregame checks before NCAA matches.

dadman repped this.
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Here is a screen shot:
    BigSocScrShot.png

8. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    That's weird, I don't see it that way.

9. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Looks OK to me too, RM text and badge.

10. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't see it the way pierre does either. that's strange. Maybe your computer has a Barcelona virus....lol

11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Wow. I haven't seen a pre-game cleat inspection in 20 years. We used to be all concerned about whether players were wearing baseball shoes but I never saw anyone wearing them.

The last year that NFHS specified the maximum length of the studs, we were warned that there was one model of soccer shoe from a major Oregon based brand (that doesn't tell you who, because there are more than one), which was too long for high school. Late in the season, I was sent to assess a referee on a varsity boys' game. The referee saw, before the game, that one of the home team's players had that model of shoe, so he tells the coach that the kid can't wear them. The coach blows up. After more discussion with the referee, he appeals to me. I tried to pretend that he was talking to someone behind me in the stands. That didn't work after I realized that, at that point, I was the only one in the stands! I confirmed the referee's information and the kid pulled out a different pair that he had anyway. The coach's reaction was probably generated by the fact that the coach's day job was being a salesman for a different shoe brand. He could have been selling against the other brand all year with warnings to retailers he was calling on about how those guys made shoes that were illegal, etc. :) A former NASL player, this (now former) coach is a locally legendary "interesting" coach.

12. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I was mentoring new refs Monday this week, they were working ulittle matches for our rec league. First grade boy's game, sure enough, one kid is wearing baseball cleats. Not metal but they had the toe cleat. The toe cleat was so worn down and smooth that it wasn't going to be an issue, so we let the kid play but I had a brief discussion with the kid's mom so they didn't show up to a future game in new baseball cleats.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    When I started back in the dark ages, at least the league I reffed in was obsessed with toe cleats. Players wearing football/baseball cleats with a toe cleat were required to change them or remove the toe cleat -- saw a few sawed off with a pocket knife or box cutter.

Recently, the official AYSO basic training sides have included a slide making clear that "no toe cleat" is a myth.

I haven't seen an illegal cleat since I returned to reffing. And I don't think there is anything inherently illegal about a toe cleat on a modern youth baseball shoe. (Obviously true baseball spikes a are a different story.) Nonetheless, I remain amazed at how many of my cohorts are adamant that every player lift their foot off the ground and show the toe.

Where I woudl be concerned about a toe cleat would be football screw in cleats that have a long, hard toe cleat -- but I've never seen anyone try to wear them in a soccer game. (Indeed, since I resumed reffing with AYSO a decade or so ago, I haven't see a single player wearing screw ins -- not really a necessary investment on Southern California fields between the lack of rain and the fact that fields get closed pretty quickly (to protect the fields) when it does rain.)

usaref repped this.
  14. errolv2

errolv2 Member

Barcelona
    Italy
    Apr 26, 2017
    I have no idea what a baseball cleat looks like. It has been years since I looked at the players' cleates.

15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_0400.JPG

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    what @fairplayforlife posted are baseball spikes -- which will never be allowed. When people refer to baseball cleats, they typically mean the molded cleats designed for youth (and casual adult) baseball. They often have a cleat at the toe, and often have more cleats around the edges of the sole. While they aren't a great choice for soccer, I'm not telling a kid he can't wear them. With the molded material, I just don't see them appreciably more dangerous than "real" soccer cleats.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  18. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. I was posting my the extreme version of what could be possible with baseball shoes. I would hope no referee would see those and allow them.

19. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I also don't check for ocelots hidden in their shorts... well... because in 10 years no one has tried to smuggle one in to a match. That's the same frequency as the attempts to wear baseball cleats. :sneaky:

RefGil and Law5 repped this.
  20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll concede the likelihood of people trying this now is not high. However when I first started playing and reffing soccer equipment was not as readily available and I did see these occasionally. In rural areas these still might be a possibility.

21. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. But then I started in the late 70s when soccer was new to this area. I also remember wearing baseball cleats as a kid. I still have a scar on my upper calf from someone sliding into me at second base almost 60 years ago.

roby repped this.
  22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I apologize...I didn't really mean to...but you were blocking the base w/o the ball! :oops:

23. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Next thing you know, he'll be telling us it was Ty Cobb who slid into him! :)

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I believe IASocFan said he had a scar not a leg transplant! :eek:

IASocFan and Law5 repped this.