Scottish Cup

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by TOareaFan, Apr 15, 2012.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bit of a thrilling semi final this morning.

Hearts win 2-1!

Even as a Celtic man, I can see real value to the Scottish game in having their first all-Edinburgh final in 116 years.

Should be a fun day when "Edinburgh comes to Glasgow "

2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Scottish FA Cup

The other old-firm having a day out will be worth watching.

3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Really looking forward to it.....will be nice to see Hampden full(ish) for a cup final not involving a Glasgow club.....it is, after all, a National Stadium!

Also,very good for the Scottish game to have the three domestic trophies in cabinets in 3 separate cities!

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh

Aye, great result and really looking forward to the cup final. Edinburgh should be buzzing. Great to see that whinging bastard Lennon raging at full time! Hands up = 'unnatural position' = penalty = get it right up ye.

5. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Also, there's no such competition as "The Scottish FA Cup". Been fixed.

6. Queeg

Queeg Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I can't seem to remember seeing these two famous old clubs facing each other in a cup final , have the Edinburgh clubs ever met in a national final before?

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure if they have ever been in a league cup final but in this cup...not since 1896.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Hibs' curse makes the curse of the billy goat look short. Happy to be in the final, but resigned already to a 5-0 drubbing.

Kot Matroskin repped this.
  9. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Not sure which way it's going to go, but either way I think it will be close. I'm hoping for Hearts to take their 8th Cup, but Hibs are due you have to say, and I think they'll squeeze out a hard-fought 1-0 win.

My only question is where to find it on TV around here. I'm hoping I don't have to watch a choppy internet stream.

10. chillum

chillum Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Glasgow
    Salt and Sauce final tomorrow!

Hope it's a good game and great occasion!

All the best to the Hibees and the Jam tarts!

11. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  12. Queeg

Queeg Member

Jan 17, 2012

It was a very one sided affair from what I gather but even the most fervent Hearts supporter must have been surprised at the final scoreline.

Hard luck on Hibernian but congratulations to the Heart Of Midlothian on a well deserved and memorable victory.

13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was one of those matches where one side (Hearts) were clearly better but with the late Hibs goal in the first half the result was in doubt.

First key moment of the second half was gonna decide it. That first key moment was a Hearts penalty which was undeserved (foul took place 2 yards outside the box but player fell in box) combined with a second yellow to the Hibs player (deserved).

Could 10 man Hibs have hung on and made a match of it at 2-1? We'll never know......but at 3-1 it was beyond them.

The really good news is that these two clubs put over 50k into Hampden. They are/were big clubs and what this shows is if you can provide "hope of success" some of the former big clubs of Scotland can be again.....reform the game for the good of all!

14. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Have you thought of getting work as an octopus? Brazil 2014 is just around the corner!

McPake is a baller, and he was was personally responsible for a two goal swing in Hibs favor. He scored a goal, and then made an amazing kick save of a sure Hearts goal. Even if he gets a foot on it, at that range nine times out of ten that is a deflection but still into the net. You have to respect a player like that.

The penalty should not have been called, but the shirt pull and (maybe) heel clip would have been the second yellow and a sending off anyway, and that was really when the door closed on Hibs chances.

Happy for Ian and Rudi; sad they won't be back.

YankHibee repped this.
  15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I picked a good week to go on vacation. Still, a final in a year like what this one has been for Hibs is nice. One decade soon we'll get this.