Scottish Americans who confess to being both Celtic and Rangers fans Unite!

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS, Sep 16, 2015.

1. AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS

Sep 10, 2015
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    I know I am not the only one. I am the grandchild of a Scottish war baby and not old enough to remember the troubles. Did not know anything about the troubles before I got into European Soccer. I rooted for the Scottish teams of curse and the Rangers were my favorite for the deep political and sectarian reason of blue being my favorite color but still like Celtic. My Grandma told me my great grandpa (or it might have been uncle) was a Ranger Supporter so that was probably part of the reason to. There was no way to get Scottish games on TV without being a early streaming adapter a few years ago so I only watch the European games.

Who’s with me? I know I am not the only one who was a soccer fan long before they knew the first thing about European politics. And yes I said fans not supporters.

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played with Rangers on FIFA back in the day because of Claudio Reyna - so I followed Rangers. My gigantic tattoo of the Virgin Mary makes wearing a Rangers jersey a bit awkward. So, I dropped out. Love Scotland, and follow the Scottish teams as much as I can, but I don't get involved. Not my "fight", so to speak. Don't wanna be involved.

3. AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS

Sep 10, 2015
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    #3 AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

Ok you win Rangers Jersey and Marry Tattoo cant top that. I come in a respectable second few years ago on I was decked out in Saint Patrick's Day Gear rotting for the Rangers.
    Your right its not our problem. Irish politics should not be something Scotsman or Americans should have to be involved in. Not our fight at all.

This is just me but in America I know not just a few people who grew up Catholic still call themselves Catholic but come to my Protestant Church on Sunday and no one things anything of it.

4. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I know a few 'catholics' who support Rangers and 'protestants' who support Celtic. This stuff never really registered as a problem to me until I went to University. It's always seemed like a bigger deal to people not from Glasgow to me.

FreeRanger repped this.
  5. AtlantaUnited=MLSCHAMPS

Sep 10, 2015
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    In America being Catholic does not mean much about your political beliefs or Protestant for that matter.

6. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't think religion plays a big part in modern society in Scotland. Being an arsehole or not does!

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland, no. Northern Ireland, yes. And if I'm not mistaken, the Old Firm is just as important in Belfast as it is in Glasgow.

FreeRanger repped this.
  8. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've been to Belfast once. It was great fun!

In terms of the bad stuff I've only heard stories.

9. FreeRanger

FreeRanger Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same as my family tells me. Mostly a mix of 50% Rangers, 25% Kilmarnock, and 25% Morton supporters. The sectarian stuff matters to the old men and to people who left Glasgow, at times because of those things which is why those families may hold onto them more.