Scots Free(dom) Referendum

Discussion in 'Elections' started by uclacarlos, Sep 18, 2014.

1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Voting has already started, experts expect upwards of 95% turn-out rate, which is frickin' unbelievable. That in and of itself is a victory.

I'm fascinated by this vote as it could lead to a re-configuration of many, many countries, as so many nations were merely brought into existence to consolidate political power with no regard for any commonalities. In other words, the important "commonalities" were the vested interests of monarchs and power brokers. The idea of large nation state was "sold" on fabricated ideas of culture, religion, language, heritage, etc., but the idea of founding a nation based exclusively on common culture or ethnicity comes from Romanticism in the early 19th century. Monarchs and power brokers recognized the power of this and immediately sought to fortify universal language at the expense of regional languages and dialects.

Skip forward almost 2 centuries and in a globalized era, the regional sticks out like a sore thumb. On a practical scale, when you have politicians and business clamoring to join larger groups (like the European Union), the peripheral groups speak up and demand to be heard. "Spain is now part of Europe" brings about "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. 21% of us don't even speak Spanish as a first language. Let's re-define Spain"... Ditto in the UK, France, Italy, Germany, etc.

Anywho...

I predict "No" wins by 1.5-2%.

So it's frickin' amazing

American Brummie repped this.
  2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There will be no exit polling done. At all. Nobody is paying for one to be done. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    And here I thought my google skills are weak because I couldn't find any. Thank you for that piece of information

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No problem, mate.

"It's shiite being Scottish!"

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just heard on msnbc that they're expecting 80% turn-out...

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That being said, my guess is that Scotland stays in the Union, but my hope is that it leaves.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Unbelievable is the right word...
    [​IMG]
    This often happens in liberal precincts.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you know about "liberal" in most other countries?

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Relax bubblehead, it was a joke. But who denies the Scots are a bunch of leftists?

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No up by 1,441 with about 400K votes in, 8 of 32 counts in...

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Scots said No, 55-45%. Up until a couple of months ago, independence never polled above 35%, from what I heard on NPR yesterday.

84.5% turn out

MSNBC's website stole my thread title ("Not Scot Free"). Those bastards!!!

12. COYS

COYS Member

Jul 29, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope Andy Murray is absolutely pelted with strawberries by the crowd at Winbledon next year.

Alex Salmond should think himself lucky that he isn't hung, drawn and quartered!

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    On NPR this morning they were saying that this would waken the sleeping giant that is English nationalism. Cameron had to offer the Scots a LOT in order to sweeten the "No" vote.

That combined with the gut check of 45% of Scots rejecting the union means that there will be a backlash.

I sincerely hope that all parties focus on actively healing wounds, actively looking within to see how they can make a more perfect union instead of lashing out. If not, then that 45% Yes will grow about as quickly as it did from 35%.

American Brummie repped this.