Post-match: Scotland vs USA

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, May 26, 2012.

1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not really that clear-cut IMO. Absolutely NO doubt that Jozy is more polished, OTOH I have never seen him flat-out scrap for the ball like Boyd was - that was a refreshing change. Also, some have pointed out that Boyd was showing pretty tactically sound off the ball movement, something which Jozy still struggles with.
    In any case they seem to be very different players, so I doubt most decisions Klinsmann has to make between them will be based on pure quality, rather I expect it will be more tactical - that is, assuming Boyd starts getting more first-team action.

2. diagoro

diagoro Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only seen Jozy have one great game (Slovenia?) where he was taking on defenders and making things happen. For the most part, all I can recall is him receiving the ball with his back to goal and falling a lot. I don't doubt his quality for club, but I think he's been a failure with the MNT. His goal rate (13 in 46 games) seems extremely low for a lone striker.

3. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy cow...I just..but he.....don't you think.....wow.

Amazing.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Wish I could say "I stopped reading here"...but unfortunately it was at the end of your post, so I had to read the entire thing.

Mr Martin repped this.
  5. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There's this thing, it's called a "lay-off pass"...it's the big tactical innovation all the kids are talking about these days.

6. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen steady improvement in Jozy's play. This year, for AZ, he scored 15 goals in 34 matches. A breakout year, in my opinion. I know player comparisons are close to worthless, but nevertheless, I'll make one. Didier Dogba, a player that highlights the current definition of a lone striker, scored 20 in 45 matches in his breakout year in Ligue 1. He was two years older than Altidore is now. Have a little patience.

7. diagoro

diagoro Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.....sorry to miff Jozy fans........but really, if you're happy with his production for the MNT......

And playing with his back to goal/lay-off passes is fine. Perhaps it doesn't work in this system, and is more suited for one like Spain's (where they have the technical ability and complimentary players). For the US, we've always relied more on basic hustle and effort to create chances than amazing touch....though thankfully Donovan and Dempsey have shown that there's some hope (and even Adu to some degree).

8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    SO... whoever hustles most gets the start?

You wanna talk productivity, let's maybe let Boyd get a shot on goal in his 90 minutes before we hand the spot to him.

9. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like you don't even watch the team

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jozy is 22, with 13 goals in 46 international games.

That is VERY good. By comparison, Karim Benzema has 13 goals in 43 international games for France. And he's 24. And considered one of the best strikers in the world, in particular when playing as a "lone in-the-box" striker.

13 international goals at 22 is VERY good. At this rate, by the time he retires, Jozy is going to be approaching 40. That's about what is projected for Benzema, Kun Aguero, Pato, and Wayne Rooney.

Donovan has spoiled some of you rotten. You think in order to be a "good" NT player, you must have 20 goals and 20 assists before turning 23.

11. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Haha. Exactly. Our strength isn't to just give the central striker the ball and let him do what he needs to. We have a lot of goals coming from midfielders and also from defenders on set pieces. For Jozy to have as many goals as he does within our system is pretty great.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've never felt that Altidore mailed in performances for the red white and blue but I'm sure that he could use some competition to get that fire moving. He's been our one starter at the striker spot for the last four years even though he's barely played at his clubs until recently. The development of Agudelo and Boyd couldn't happen soon enough for me.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps where you are it is that way, but it is not that way around the entire country. In general, it is more available to many people's regular cable packages than FSC is.

14. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think some people fail to realize that jozy is only a little over a year older than boyd. jozy also has a lot of potential. just because he been playing for the first team for awhile doesn't mean he doesn't have a bright future.

#1 Feilhaber and Adu repped this.
  15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yep. This is a player that played in the top two leagues in the world *before* he went to school in the Netherlands. His peak is still to come.

MadRHatter repped this.
  16. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...let's look at the numbers, shall we?

Donovan...139 caps, 49 goals, or one goal every 2.8 appearances...

Dempsey...83 caps, 25 goals...one goal every 3.3 appearances...

Altidore...46 caps, 13 goals...one goal every 3.5 appearances...

You're seriously quibbling over the fact that it takes Jozy 0.7 of a match longer to score than Landon.

63 minutes???

Really???

Mr Martin and #1 Feilhaber and Adu repped this.
  17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Wait, NBCSports is only on special packages? NBCSports is still in my extended basic cable package that it was when the channel was called Versus. DirecTV has it in Choice Extra, the most common package. What provider do you have?

18. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Curious what provider you have that doesnt get NBCSports

19. diagoro

diagoro Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy's job is to score.....he only plays forward (and usually as the solo striker). Dempsey and Donovan normally facilitate, and play D. Showing the stats together, perhaps I should be surprised his goal rate is a high as it is. Most of the games I've seen, he hasn't been able to do much. Doesn't anyone else think "that's our best option" when he shows up in the lineup??

20. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I'm pretty sure I don't get it. I have Dish Network. I haven't checked though since I usually watch sports at bars.

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anyone else surprised with how Castillo just keeps looking bad but keeps on getting chances?

After watching him practice last night, I get it now. He looks AWESOME in practice.....

22. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it on Dish (channel 159)

23. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he was alright in the last two friendlies he was in, an we can't really judge him on his 20 minute cameo on Saturday

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I mean don't get me wrong.... he has potential based on his games in TJ, but he just freezes out there when he's gotten minutes. Makes me think that he could be for the NT level at least, a player that only looks good practicing, but can't bring the same performance when putting on the US shirt.

I hope he turns out to be better than that... but so far that's my feel.

25. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I just have the basic package, and I remember not having it when I tried to DVR a game once. I'll have to check when I get a chance though.