Scotland vs. USA (Nov 12)

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by markdickson, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Berhalter isn't an A team guy. He's one of the cluster of centerbacks Arena has to choose to pair with Gooch, but he's certainly no lock to be a starter.

2. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

Did not get to watch the game this afternoon.

I'm not sure that we have the same regards to anthems as a lot of other countries, I don't think it was meant as any serious disrespect other than booing the opposition.

1-1 honours even, good luck in the world cup, it's the place to be, wish it was us.

3. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

JEEZ Man! Where were you every time the U.S. has played an Away Game????

4. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I sincerely hope that the Scotland Supporters do not believe that this was our A-Team out there today. We were missing about 19 players from our regular team for this match due to injury or Club Commitment (mainly MLS).

5. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We know... We've been reminded often enough...Not our A-Team either. But, we should have won in the end. And of the 19 players - well, only 11 can play.

6. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Beasley's a tidy enough player but the lack of end product must be a bit worrying for the US fans. Still, I suppose that's what happens when it's not a full strength team on the park.

Nah, it wasn't Scotland's best XI, but it was closer to being so than the US's was to its, if that makes sense.

7. dc 1sided

dc 1sided New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Virginia
    For some reason I thought Scotland would play long ball and it was cool to see them play it on the ground. Good stuff, mostly.
    McFadden was a nightmare for us.
    It was even, US looked more dangerous (except for McFadden), Scotland more polished and organized.
    I was entertained, moreso second half than first.
    Scotland plays tough, it was a good test.
    Good luck, Scotland!

8. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I didn't actually hear any booing of the USA anthem. Maybe a little bit, no-where near as much as the Italy one. It's not so much a disrespect thing as an intimidation thing. Although I can fully understand ill-feeling towards America at the moment but that discusion is for another day.

We had a shite first 20 minutes, we just didn't start playing. USA got a touch of luck with the penalty as Weir was lying injured as they attacked the space he should have been covering. I thought we were the better team for most of the match without being anywhere near our best. Still have no idea why Neil McCann was playing, it was like we had 10 men with him on.

Both sides were weakend, especially USA but I think at least Scotland can learn from it that McCann should never start in front of McFadden and Fletcher shouldn't be played so far forward.

I thought Weir had a very bad game, everyone else was ok apart from Hartley who was outstanding IMO.

9. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beasely should finish better than he did be he drew the penalty for our goal

10. GOD.

GOD. BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 14, 2005
    Everywhere
    GOD did regret that He is omniscient for this was one that He could have done without seeing! A disgrace! Funnier still that the B+ team of a bunch of skirt wearing pansies beat the mighty Americans.

GOD doth often regret the creation of man! :(

11. LesO'lafatselik

LesO'lafatselik New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    You're certainly not omniscient: the game was a draw. I think you meant omnipresent.

12. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no problem with the booing. It's part of soccer, really. Sadly, I know I'll have to deal with a lot worse than that when I go to Germany next summer.

I guess it goes to show that perceptions vary greatly depending on your preconceptions because I thought the US looked the better side (albeit slightly). US domintated the first 20 minutes, Scotland dominated the second 25. Second half was very disjointed because of all the substitutions, but other than McFadden, Scotland didn't scare me too much in the second (but McFadden did look very dangerous). All in all, a draw was a fair result.

Things I learned about the US team...Spector should get more of a look at LB, Olsen did quite well when he came on (which was a shock), and Brian Ching should never be capped again (which wasn't a shock). I also thought Rolfe did pretty well considering. I'll be interested to see how many players get a second look for Norway in January. I don't think you'll see Gaven there after today...

Good luck to you in prepartation for Euro 2008. Always more fun to see an international tournament with the Scots there.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I was meeting someone in Edinburgh, so only saw bits of the match in the bar. What the hell was Smith doing though? Did we play 3-5-2 with McCann as a withdrawn forward? Regardless, the only reason the US looked more dangerous was because McCann completely killed our entire system. O'Connor was left on his own upfront and we were unable to support him. Despite our injuries we still had far better options that should have been used. Poor show, as it was a game we should be winning. The players seemed jaded as well, which clearly didn't help matters much. I blame Ferguson.

EDIT: What is this 'experimental 3-4-2-1 formation' the BBC match report is talking about? :mad: :rolleyes:

14. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The formation was this:

______________Gordon

_______Pressley__Weir__Webster
    Dailly________________________Alexander
    __________Hartley___Quashie
    ____Fletcher______________McCann
    _____________O'Conner

15. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    What has been clear recently that our top midfielder is not Ferguson, nor is it Quashie or Fletcher who both looked average yesterday. Our top man in midfield is without a doubt Paul Hartley. I don't know what Walter is going to do when all his midfielders are fit but surely Hartley must be the first name in midfield now.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It depends on how we want to play. Given that formation, I would rather have Hartley and McFadden as the two furthest forward midfielders, with Fletcher dictating the play from the middle and Quashie putting in a defensive shift. I feel Fletcher is the best overall midfielder because there is more to his game. One thing is for certain though, keep Ferguson off the pitch.

17. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Player ratings:

Gordon 7 - Made a great great save from a free kick and did everything he needed to.

Weir 5 - Lost a few headers, looked slow.

Pressley 5 - See Weir.

Webster 7 - Solid performance.

Alexander 6 - Decent shift, good cross for the goal.

Dailly 6 - Played well but made a couple of mistakes, gave away the penalty.

Hartley 8 - Man of the Match, showed a great range of passing, very mature midfield performance.

Quashie 6 - He's a class player but he gave the ball away far too often.

Fletcher 6 - Some good moments, some bad, stuck too far forward, should've been more in midfield.

McCann 4 - One good cross, did absolutly nothing apart from that.

O'Conner 6 - Didn't have a chance, worked hard in a thankless task

subs:

G. Caldwell 6 - Needs more experience but he was promising in parts.

S. Caldwell 6 - Similar to Gary.

McFadden 7 - Lit of the game with some exciting run, should've started.

Maloney 6 - didn't have much time, had a couple of good touches.

Brown 6 - Finished his offside goal well, didn't look overawed.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both sides got what they wanted out of this game.

I hope some of the MLS players got an idea of the level of the consistent physical pressure that is expected in European leagues.

Beasley was the only player who didn't look like he was being pushed around.Olsen (who played with Forest and is a bit of a nutter anyhow) was the only one who pushed back.

Thanks for the game,seriously.

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Was this about intimidation or a comment on American foreign policy?

Smith is definitely the man to manage Scotland back to where they belong. Berti who? A bad memory, no doubt.

Ferguson would have improved the Scots in the same way Reyna and/or Donovan would have improved the US. "Balanced play" one could say.

I didn't see at the time, and still haven't, anyone for Scotland being down when Beasley was molested for the PK. If it wasn't a friendly that card should have been red. So used to that happening to DeMarcus, I wonder how many years of that abuse his body can take.

Didn't notice anything that should have called back Scotland's goal myself, though I've heard some rumblings.

Gordon's save on that free kick was deceptively brilliant.

That late offsides call... Oi vey! Just a hair. Just. Phew.

Very positive result that I'd guess made both managers pleased. Draw for an away tie at Scotland? :D

20. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I'm sure no-one has a problem here with Italian or Belarusian foriegn policy (in that most probably don't know their foriegn policy) and their anthem got booed so I wouldn't think it was anything to do with that. It's not something which is liked by most fans here and I don't actually know who is doing it. Is there ill-feeling amongst many here about American foriegn policy? Sure, but there also is in America itself so I don't think that says alot.

Dailly probably would've been sent off in a competitive match but I'm not certainly Beasley would've scored, he had pushed himself quite wide and he's probably glad he got the push in the back. Weir was definately down when the penalty was awarded, I doubt there would've been a penalty if he wasn't down but he was down and there was a penalty so it's all ifs and buts.

This was definately a good excercise for sides. Alot can be taken from yesterday's game.

21. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Decent match all things considered. The last on (1998) was one of the most boring matches I've ever seen. I though we played well first and last 20, the rest was all Scotland.

McFadden was really on for SCO. Obviously we presented the DeMarcus Beasley Show featuring the US National Team.

From the tv I heard a few whistles during "the Star Spangled Banner", but it was much milder than I would've expected given current circumstances. If any fellow Yanks have ever watched a SCO v. ENG game you'd know what it sounds like when the Scots boo down the national song. Comparitively we got a "we're not fond of your team" treatment and no more.

I'd heard on the Beeb that the weather was shite all over Scotland Friday night, the pitch seemed a bit greasy at times, what was the temp at kick off?

Hopefully it's not 50 years before we play in Scotland again, I need to get my fill of Deuchars.

23. maryhill_fleet

maryhill_fleet New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Glasgow, SCOTLAND
    Hey guys! well, having been at the game, (and a tad drunk at that) i was horrified to hear some of the scottish crowd booing the american anthem! so much so i shouted out loud that those who did were horrible you know whats, and that this was a friendly and not to mention america is steeped in scottish history among others.
    as for the game, america having an understrength team, were very impressive, so good luck guys in the world cup! i shall be shouting for ya. scotland started off slow, but most of you have to admit we did really well, and really should have won the game!! that late strike from brown should have counted i think. i may be wrong cos of the position of my seat, but i'll look at it again. that and all the other chances we failed to take. casey keller was correct in todays papers saying if scotland just found the killer touch and took all the chances we miss, we would be up there with the best.
    come on all you americans that said scotland was a walkover...... admit we're not that at all!!!

24. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    As a fellow Celt I would say that your team has improved dramatically in recent months. The win against Slovenia was impressive and you played well against the number 7 team in the world yesterday (albeit they had a B squad). Good luck in the next Euros!! I think you'll do well!

25. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full credit due, Scotland did well. I agree, I think both sides got what they wanted out of the match.

I expect all you Scots to be rooting on your own Steve Nicol, head coach of my beloved New England Revolution, today in the MLS Cup final against the evil Californians.

Don't start rooting for the MetroStars next season though. Even if Mo Johnston's their coach.