Scotland NT Thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Sep 6, 2013.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no arguments. I was just responding in general after seeing all the negativity on twitter.

frasermc repped this.
  2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scotland Squad for Ireland Match

Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Burnley), Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders: Callum Patterson (Hearts), Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), Scott Brown (Celtic), Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Lewis Macleod (Rangers), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday), Steven Naismith (Everton), Johnny Russell (Derby County)

Other than our GK's the defence still gives me the heebie jeebies but we have goals in this squad with Anya, Maloney, Fletcher and Naismith in the squad.

It'll be tight but it certainly wont finish 0-0.

I'd be more than happy with any sort of victory so I'm going for a 2-1 to us.

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Eat that Aiden.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Help me out here. What did McGeady do that was so egregious?

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great goal. Great 3pts.

The difference in this squad since WGS has taken charge is incredible. I genuinely feel we have a chance against most teams we face now. I particularly like the fact that a lot of opposition teams believe if they sit in and try to hit us on the counter they'll be onto a winner. Maybe a couple of years ago but not now. This is a team that has the ability and confidence to take control of games, create chances and ultimately score goals.

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm sure you know the situation very well. "Egregious" is your word and, of course, the decision was entirely his to make. If anyone honestly expected Scotland fans not give him dogs abuse and get it right up the guy after winning then I'm not sure they understand football very well.

Players get stick for returning to old club sides, never mind when they come to play against their home country after choosing to represent another one.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

I don't. All I know is that he plays for Ireland and not Scotland.

Do you support your foreign born players like Maloney, Martin et al?

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Obviously. Why wouldn't I?

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So you are a hypocrite. Got it.

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yeah, a hypocritical football fan who supports players who play for his team and doesn't support players who don't. You might just be on to something here.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's only a friendly... :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I hope we whip them.

No idea on what the team will be. Hopefully Robertson gets another chance on the left. He was one of our standouts on Friday night. Would like to see Naismith involved but not sure WGS will start him. I'd imagine he is looking at giving some players a little rest (as he has mentioned in reports). It would seem that both Darren Fletcher and James Morrison will be starting. Anya/Robertson down the left would give us plenty of impetus on that side of the field.

I'd imagine Martin will start up top due to Fletcher's injury so I'm wondering if he will also give Johnny Russell a start as well.

Needless to say, I hope we whip them.

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    This is awfully dumb.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Here's me thinking that an explanation would have been helpful. Thanks guys.

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well that didn't go too well. I get what Gordon is saying about the team lacking mental sharpness and I totally agree that England played very well. Unfortunately, it was abundantly clear last night again that our back four is our achilles heel. They struggle against fast attackers and just aren't good enough to bring the ball out from the back. England's high press had us flapping all night long in our own half of the pitch. We then needed to resort to the longer ball which, on the evidence of last night, proved Chris Martin isn't international class. Admittedly it is probably far too soon to form any sort of judgement on the player but he looked way out of his depth as a target man. Ok, so he isn't very mobile which I am prepared to overlook if he can hold the ball up but he can't do that either - therefore making him almost redundant.

We would maybe have faired better with either May or Russell on from the start and trying to play balls down the channels between CB and fullback for them to run onto.

Nevertheless the important match over the weekend was on Friday night. Still, it would have been nice to beat England...

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Squad for N.Ireland friendly and EURO qualifier against Gibraltar -

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Bolton Wanderers), Scott Brown (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth), Johnny Russell (Derby County)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers).

Wouldn't this double header have been a good opportunity to blood some fresh faces into the international scene?

Other than Ritchie at Bournemouth I can't see any other new name. Paton (Dundee Utd) would have been another if he didn't have to pull out of the squad.

I'm assuming WGS didn't want a backlash if he picked either of Armstrong or Mackay-Steven even though both have moved up a level (European level) and performed admirably. Arguably far more so than the unfortunate (with injuries) James Forrest, who has made the squad.

I'm slightly surprised, and a little disappointed, if that were the case.

16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No George Boyd?

frasermc repped this.
  17. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Very good shout. Case proven.

18. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well if he's good enough for Paul Merson... :D

He was signing his praises on Soccer Saturday and wondering why he was not in the Scotland squad.

frasermc repped this.
  19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I like him. Couldn't give a monkeys (as I'm sure is the same with most of us) if he plays for an unfashionable club in the Premiership. I reckon he'd be more than capable of justifying a place in the squad, given the chance of course.

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure if you dig a bit in this thread you'll find that I was flabbergasted when Boyd was first called in, but he's proven to be a solid worker-bee type (with a decent amount of skill) and certainly would be of use to Scotland. I'm surprised he's been ignored.

EDIT: I can also tell you that Maloney has been pretty bad thus far with Chicago and looks to be carrying a good 15 pounds over his playing weight.

21. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Boyd's teammate, Scott Arfield, is probably due a shout as well.

22. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Not a great performance by any means but a very important point in Dublin tonight. I thought there were similarities to the game in Glasgow. A lot of rough and tumble, Ireland were very dangerous at set pieces. Brady's delivery from corners is terrifying. I thought we looked a little more comfortable than the Irish in possession and playing in tighter spaces but there were too many silly missplaced passes from us. All in all though, I'd have taken a point before hand and it's job done as far as Scotland are concerned.

Ireland now need 3 more points than us from the remaining 4 games to prevent us getting at least a play-off spot. Which barring a disaster in Georgia for us, will be a huge ask for them.

Assuming we beat Georgia and Gibraltar, then Ireland would need to beat either Germany or Poland to overtake us. And, considering they're away to the Poles, I think that's unlikely.

Obviously our next game in Georgia has banana skin written all over it but, assuming we come through that unscathed then the game against Poland in Glasgow becomes huge. Win it, and we'll likely qualify.

frasermc repped this.
  23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Would agree with all of that. Just like to add that in recent times under different managers I would be extremely concerned regards the next fixture but under the stewardship of GS I reckon we will see a committed, professional and efficient performance to come away with the 3 points that are a must.

24. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yep, I think we look so much more calm and confident under Strachan and I've no doubt that's mostly down to the manager.

We've come from behind to draw level in Dortmund, Warsaw and Dublin, meaning we've taken 2 pretty priceless points away from home. I've no doubt we would have crumbled in all three games before Strachan. We seem to have picked up that mentality that good teams have of not letting anything phase us and just getting on with it.

I'm confident we'll keep the head in Georgia and Gibraltar. And i think that alone will be good enough for 3rd (although would probably count us out of the running for best 3rd place team).

25. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scotland from ---

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders: Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Scott Brown (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), Matt Ritchie (AFC Bournemouth)

Forwards: Johnny Russell (Derby County), Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven Naismith (Everton)

Obviously this is another big game and whilst it is by no means a sure thing (look at results last night for evidence of that) it is a game that we need to be winning if we want to qualify from this group.

Scott Brown, Russell Martin and Akechi Anya have all been passed fit to play which is good news. Pity about Stuart Armstrong as he has really impressed me lately but he was never going to make it.

The defence still gives me the fear at times but I'd settle for Whittaker and Robertson in the full back positions and someone to partner Martin at CB. I'd have any three from Fletcher, Brown, McArthur and Morrison in the middle of the pitch (probably Morrison missing out) and have Naismith and Anya out wide up front with Griffiths starting.

This is a squad and a management team that is more than capable of winning this game. Here's hoping they do the job.