Scorpions News Thread

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by Hands, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SA needs a sell out for this game. To show that we are serious about MLS.

http://sascorpions.com/team-news/it...esent-fc-dallas-vs-scorpions-match-on-march-1

"Currently, the Scorpions return six well-performing veterans, Tomasz Zahorski, Stephen DeRoux, Greg Janicki, Javier Saaverda Jeremy Vuolo, and Sainey Touray along with an influx of exciting young talent. The 2014 line-up will further be reinforced by the recent additions of former MLS Toronto FC team captain and Canadian National Team defender, Adrian Cann, and with the signing of 2012 Best XI midfielder, Walter Restrepo, who had a career best season in 2012 with six goals and eight assists." from link

Would love to know when they plan on announcing this influx of talent. with training camp opening next monday!

3. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's 7 on the roster as of now... Need at least 4 more in three and a half weeks for the Dallas game.

4. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, we have 11 on the roster. It will be 12 after they announce the signing today.

5. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still pretty sad to see that only Saavedra and Janicki remain from the original squad of 2012. I haven't hear any word from Hannigan, so I'm guessing these two are the only ones left.

7. Daekor

Daekor Member

Dec 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's sad. It's part of the business. Other teams are willing to spend the money to grab our players and most players don't want long contracts in the lower divisions. Marcina is going with a younger squad than previously we've had which is not bad. I haven't seen anything particularly bad about the management of the Scorpions since they started the organization. Yeah, they tried the whole Eastern Europe import project last year (which was worth a try) and it failed and they've gone a different direction this year.

I think the Scorpions will have a successful season this year. Their player targets are those that are proven in the league and I'm sure they are still waiting to poach talent from MLS once they trim their rosters. I like the new direction the club has taken since Marcina has taken over and I'm intrigued to see what he can do this season.

Cyclonis repped this.
  8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is pretty cool playing an in state NASL team as your final tuneup game. Pretty cool for the scorpians to host an MLS team. It would be good for soccer if more teams were to do this. Another thing would be for the MLS team to vist their USL Pro affiate as one of their last pre season matchups.

NASL then playing a USL Pro team in their region as one of the last Pre season games.

I am sure there will be politics involved that would keep this from happening actoss the board but some teams will see the benefit like FC Dallas and SA

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #59 cflsteve, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    It looks like going after young star players from the smaller central American counties is a good way to go. Not enough space for the Internationals on MLS rosters and players from these contries would love to come play their club ball in the US/Canada.
    FC Edmonton just signed a young top player from Trinadad-T

In contrast the Cosmos are signing bigger name older EURO players.

I can see some NASL teams having a pipeline from certain Central American and Caribean countries

JMO

10. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good start to the season if they just managed a tie to SMU..

13. jubnub

jubnub Member

Nov 3, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the season that starts in 2 months? This is the point of preseason games, find the problems and fix them. All in all not a bad result.

14. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the starters finished 2-0. In the second half, 11 new bodies got subbed in, 9 being trialists. This new group gave up 3 goals and scored 1. Alen Marcina wasn't happy with the second half performance, said some won't be back with the team monday.

Game Recap from 210 pros:
    http://www.210pros.com/#!blogger-feed/c1xhf

greenroom repped this.
  15. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, when it mattered they were up, I bet your the guy when your team goes 4-0 in preseason football (NFL) that you expect your team to get to the Super Bowl. It was a meaningless game and the first one to be honest. I would think that the FC Dallas game will be a truer test. That if they look bad then it might be time to be concerned.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about that, Dallas whacked Strikers 6-1 last night.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all of us can wake up "in season" form like you apparently are with the posting.

We literally have what 11/12 actual signed players ? They had no problems.

greenroom repped this.
  18. Scorpions Unofficial Army

Mar 14, 2013
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The kits from the scrimmage are better than the trash that got selected :(

20. jubnub

jubnub Member

Nov 3, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that. This is what I would buy.

21. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder when we are going to see some additional signings of players. Seems like everyone else is finalizing the rosters, SA is still waiting.

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't this sort of undermine the league you actually play in?

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal from the get go, was to play the highest level of football. There's never been any secret about it.

That hasn't stopped the owner from investing more than anyone sub-MLS level, the fans from coming out in [relative] droves, and the entire effort here being as best as it can be .... all of which is directly opposite of undermining the league we actually play in.

I'd say the Cosmos "usage" of the NASL is much worse than anything a club with MLS intentions is.

It's certainly no worse than the league itself doing the backward shuffle on its own format ...

jubnub and jspech repped this.
  24. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me when I say this. You guys got ALOT better. First of all, Bingham is MLS quality keeper. Bingham will be San Jose's keeper of the future, he just needs minutes because old man Jon Busch has been amazing and healthy. And then there's Texas boy Sammy Garza. Very very skilled kid, he just lacks self confidence which really affects his game, but he will be a top class player is NASL. I've hung out with Garza multiple times and he's a really cool guy. TAKE CARE OF THEM. Good luck guys. I'll be following the Scorpions this year. Cheers!

The Article:
    http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2014/02/quakes-loan-bingham-garza-san-antonio-scorpions

San Jose Vs. Vancouver Yesterday. Sam Garza #17 played the full 90.
    http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2014/02/watch-live-quakes-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-fc

choch2727 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to give one quakes fan opinion on the two guys you signed.

Bingham is probably an MLS starter right now, but is sitting behind a well established veteran. Hes big and quick, really just needs more experience and for Busch to slip up or retire at this point.

Garza is a guy who has all the tools to be a good MLS player, just doesnt quite no what to do. He desperately needs game experience, but is a very talented player. He just needs that confidence and certainty in his decision making you can only really get from playing.

I think you will be very happy with both players.

HailtotheKing repped this.