Scorpions News Thread

Discussion in 'San Antonio FC' started by Hands, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah exactly. I really don't like this signing. He's a hot head with a quick temper and is injury prone. He was benched a lot last season for his attitude. He was also out for a ton of games due to injury.

2. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do not know what your talking about.. once again.

He tore his ACL in Aug 2012 and came back 8 mo's later. At that time the Strikers management went a different direction and he did not like it just like most professional athletes. I think it is a good signing that since he is a full year removed from the ACL issue, he should be back to normal.

As far as a hot head the last one we had here worked out very well in Campos. I seem to remember you were pretty upset that they let him walk.

3. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Campos was a hot head but he produced... Restrepo did not produce last season.

4. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good news, Scorpions signed Touray today. I personally wanted to see him back.

5. choch2727

choch2727 Member

May 30, 2007
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was Toronto FC? Nice going Scorpions...

7. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walter Ramirez is off to the Indy 11.

8. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you seeing this?

9. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Ramirez reportedly posted it on Facebook.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of signings this week in the NASL, but no word from Scorpions' front office..

13. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why waste time with signings when yer meeting with The Don? :sneaky:

14. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly am not sure if San Antonio will be able to support an MLS team..

15. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just how did you come to that conclusion? You do not think there are 15-20k fans in San Antonio that would support a team? They already have a top level facility that is easily able to upgraded to MLS standards.

Just trying to see what you think is not here that can support a MLS team?

16. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would certainly think that SA can support an MLS franchise. Spurs S&E has built a strong group of teams under their umbrella in the AHL and WNBA.
    Would also be a great location for a NWSL sister team to Rival with Houston and also have a NWSL franchise that is more Mexican federation friendly for its allocated players and support from a Mexican fan base.
    IF SPurs S&E were to become a part of this their would be a very powerful Sports ownership group involved and one that has its strong community ties to San Antone

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

I love it when people who have no clue start flapping the gums ...

18. Darius Bieber

Darius Bieber Member

Jun 22, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple things led me to the conclusion. The attendance for Scorpions games have gone down since last season, on average. With a new stadium, we see about roughly 6000 or so fans there near the end of last season. How the hell does 6000 support an MLS team? The MLS will draw in more ticket sales, but not enough to have 19,000 (which was the average attendance in the MLS last season). Even if the Spurs were to come up with the help towards an MLS team, it doesn't mean it will be successful. Both the Rampage and the Stars are struggling with ticket sales. Heck, even the AT&T Center rarely gets filled nowadays when the Spurs play... Face it, San Antonio is not a big entertainment city.. Even though it's the 7th Largest City in the US, it's ranked 36th in the US in terms of Media Marketing, compared to Houston and Dallas who are both in the Top Ten.

19. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lets be honest here. The average attendance was 6700 for the fall, in which the team was really bad, and the Edmonton game had major weather issues. But lets also not gloss over that Toyota Field only seats 8k.. so your talking about the stadium being about 84% full on a bad year. And only the NY Cosmos had a better average attendance. And if you look at the average of the MLS filling its stadiums it is only about 87%, but to be fair that takes into account Chivas USA who only draws about 2k more than SA in Los Angeles. As far as the Spurs your are right they are having problems selling out 41 games, but it has to do more with Fans waiting for the playoffs and have gotten spoiled.. IMO You are aware that the Rampage are 6th in attendance in the AHL with about 6500, and the Stars drew above the league average and were about 5-6 range in the WNBA with about 7900. So yes if your looking at selling out ATT center for minor league sports, it is a challenge, but if your looking at what is average for the sport then SA is above average. Should there be more, you bet!

I am willing to bet that if the MLS came to town, SA would be able to fill out an average of 16k out of the 18500 that Toyota Field would bring. But I do wonder how the parking would work out for Toyota field with that many people in the seats.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSE has come out and basically said that MLS is out of their price range (or willingness to spend). My guess is that the Scorps will find other willing big money partners.

21. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Your not very nice . Indeed where SA already has some stiff competition but indeed having a NBA team backing it is like an NFL team backing it difference between Atlanta and SA is in place where Atlanto will be converting from a larger football stadium to a SSS smaller

Well that is different. Thaynks for being a bit nicer

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because D2 attendance of the prior expansion teams has determined anything, at all .... oh wait, NO IT HASN'T.

We say over 6K for A SHIT SECOND HALF. Last year we were a pretty good squad, what was that att number again ? I'd love to know how you can even begin to figure what our MLS attendance would be based on our D2 numbers.

Face it, you just have an overly simple and ignorant way of seeing things.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wow you are very rude.:notworthy: Nothing is simple. Just stating my pros and cons to SA and who would need to be involved to make it successful

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets try to calm it down. cflsteve is probably a nicer poster than some of the regular Scorp "fans" that post here.

@cflsteve, try to roll with it, no one likes outsiders telling you what to do etc.

25. greenroom

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @cflsteve I don't think the post you quoted was about you, it was about D Bieber and the love affair between him and Hailtotheking.. joking.. they are about as opposite as you can be on the Scorpions.

As far as your point on having the Spurs back it up that would be the perfect solution, but as other have said, the history says that is probably not going to happen. As it seems that Mr. Hartman and the Spurs have attempted in the past, but have different views of what is the right way to go forward. Then there is the $$ that the Spurs invest in those outside of Spurs that are in question as well.

But look forward to keep hearing about your ideas.