Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Only been a month. Though been probably 5-6 games. It seems like most of the time his teammates are choosing not to pass to him.

2. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    that is a long while for a stiker, especially in the eredivisie. i've always noticed that his teammates don't fully trust him, which is really unfortunate. im sure altidore has learned a lot this year, but i could see az dealing him in the summer and brining up a young dutch kid instead

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How is his performances and stats compared to past strikers for the club? Did they bring him in expecting 20 goals by now? I mean id expect 12-15 by seasons end but it does seem Jozy misses quite a few chances to slot the ball home. But the club is no1 in the league and close to winning a cup trophy and making the semis of the EL so definitely Jozy is doing great things to help the team.

4. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Agreed. No one worked harder than Jozy tonight. He was agressive kept the CB's occupied and pressured the goalie where possible. He created space and made some good plays even if he was a bit sloppy in finishing. Should have gotten a penalty as well, his opponent was pretty much stress testing his shirt half the time. He was spent by the time he got substituted.

Nobody takes Voetbal International serious. They are like a football version of 'Top Gear'. People watch it for the banter.

5. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Their former striker was Sigthorsson, the strikers before him El Hamdaoui and Dembélé. Before them they had Danny Koevermans.

All did better than Jozy. Even though I hate Koevermans, he did very well for AZ. They also used to have Pelle, who was a massive failure.

But you should be glad he plays and that he's part of one of the best, if not best, team in AZ's history. He's part of it and he can make history.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Jozy or AZ's midfield? I don't know what happened to Elm and maartens there for the first 20 of the 2nd half. I wouldn't say Jozy was stellar - you have to hit one of those chances, but the real ugly was failing to win a single midfield duel for about 20 minutes.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

The only one of those players to have a first season at AZ on par with Jozy's was Sigthorsson. None of the others were even close in their first season at AZ, a key variable in this comparison you have completely ignored. Also, El Hamdaoui and Koevermans were much older and experienced than Jozy is right now, plus they were raised in the Dutch 4-3-3.

I love how everyone and their mother tries SO SO HARD to "prove" how Altidore isn't actually worth crap. Mostly, I love how it's always SO SO EASY to knock down.

8. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    I don't say he's worth crap. I say he's not great and I do believe that Altidore, together with Marcellis, is AZ's weakest part of the team. Given his young age his level is fine, but you might forget that the entire Eredivisie consists of young players. AZ is the oldest top-team in the Eredivisie.

But hell no, we are all wrong and there is a huge anti-American, anti-Altidore conspiracy going on in the Netherlands. He's useful as targetman, he can be important as a targetman. But that doesn't mean you have to overestimate him. He might one day become a mid-table PL league striker, but that's it. I do believe his playing style is perfect for the PL, he might even be more respected in the PL than in the Eredivisie (example = Tioté/Vorm)

He asked how he compared to other AZ Alkmaar strikers. Koevermans, Shota Arveladze, Dembélé, El Hamdaoui, Sigi where better than Altidore. I don't care about stats, because they never tell you the truth. Football is not baised on stats. The age argument is valid, but I can't know how he'll do in the future and thus I will compare him baised on his current level. I have an expectation, mid-table PL.

In the end I do believe he's not a failure. Given AZ's limited financial resources Altidore is a fine striker and he might have been the best striker available for AZ. But I won't lie to you just to make you like me, I say what I think about Altidore. It's not fair to say I think he's doing great, it's not fair to say the Dutch fans love him, just to please you.

Altidore is seen in the eyes of many as a horrible striker. They are making jokes about him and many say that with an decent striker AZ would have had a 10 points gab in the Eredivisie. I already said I didn't agree with them, but that doesn't mean I adore Altidore and that I think he'll become a world-class player in the future.

9. I agree with your post that we arenot here to play the fan boy, but to give our American friends info on how matters are.
    With red marked text I do disagree. Of the top 4 teams AZ is missing 10 goals scored compared to them. I reckon that had been those 10 points they talk about.

10. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Correction: I think they are the oldest top-team in the Eredivisie with a team name starting with the letter "A" and coached by someone with a "V" in their last name.

Unbelievable. Maybe with a a better defense they're 20 points ahead in 1st. Or, with Messi they'd be undefeated.

Defenders don't know what to do with him because of his strength so he gets hacked a lot. He's a different type of striker. Haters gonna hate.

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning creates expectations and I think it's very good for Jozy that he's in an environment of very, very high expectations. That's really the only way we are going to find out how good he can become (and, believe it or not, that's still a wide open question).

Some here think he's potentially G-14 type player- that's a possibility. Some here seem to think he's mid-level EPL. If that's his floor, that's pretty darn good.

I think it's been a lot of fun to see Jozy play consistently and produce this season. Given that most soccer players take a season or so to settle into a new league, I'd expect him to have a much better season next.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 13 more posts an we can close this degenerating thread with a terrible title.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all have to do our part, right?

Jozy's portfolio of strengths and weaknesses add up to a type of forward that is consistently underrated. An equally effective forward who was less physical and more technical would not get as much flak.

14. I already have a new title on hold!!:) Think it is a fitting one.
    Curious? Keep posting!!!

Actually I have 2...3..

15. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    It isn't "Jozy Altidore is....Admiral Alkmaar", is it?

[​IMG]

16. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Allow me to be pedantic for a minute before the new title comes up. I believe that the closest approximation to the pronunciation of "AZ" in "AZ Alkmaar" to English-reading eyes is something like "Ahzid". Please don't pun based on "Ayzee" again!

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  18. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
  19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

1- You are dreaming, dude. ANYONE with half a brain can tell you the biggest problem is that team has no defensive midfielder to speak of. And Marcellis is FAR more tragic than Jozy. Get real.

2 - I said no such thing.

3 - I did not speak of this in any way, either.

4 - I did not mention stats.

5 - Again, I said no such thing.

6 - These people are having a complete laugh. It's overtly ridiculous.

7 - Again... I said no such thing.

No, what i did was present you with the obvious variable you left out, where you took those strikers' entire time at AZ as the measuring stick against Jozy's one season of Eredivisie play. That is what I said. Everyone in the world can say whatever they want - doesn't make it true. And pointing out the error in comparison is not an attack or the wanton act of a "fanboy".

Give me a break already.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The part about the criticism -

"I think the criticism of Altidore understandable ... The criticism of Jozy is unfair. Don't forget that every match he is double-teamed. At Valencia he went down from butchers grabbing him by the neck. Yes, he misses opportunities. But, after all, he is there (to miss them). It is a matter of time before he starts to expects them (the chances). And Niklas Moisander defended very well."

There is more but I can't get to it till later.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He also mention Beerens close to coming back, which is good. He is swimming.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Speaking of players that have been a complete and utter wasteful disappointment in production for AZ this season. He has all of two goals (none since October) and fewer assists than Jozy seeing massive amounts of the ball in great positions every time he plays. :cool:

23. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing my part to put this thread out of my misery...

afgrijselijkheid may be overenthusiastic in his support of Jozy sometimes, but he does back up his arguments. To discount his response because of the emotion, while ignoring his points, and then getting hysterical back, is reaching, to say the least.

one more....

24. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Jozy. New thread please.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm not even supporting or cheering or pimping Jozy at all. I respond to wild over-criticsm and outright inaccuracies in comparison. Somehow, that makes me a fanboy, because I don't unfairly rate him super-low.

Guess how often the TV shows and fans go off on Roy Beerens. Pretty much never.