Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Realistically, Elm is probably worth at least 2x what Jozy would go for.

2. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    OK, that's settled.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Do you disagree? By the way, I have always been supportive of Jozy. I think he helps the team, but I also think it is fair to say he has not "starred" in the way some hoped he would (excessive expectations for his first year, I would say.) Some of that may be to Verbeek and his unconventional management style, but some of it is also to Jozy - he has missed some glaring "sitters" and I don't think anyone would accuse him of excessively elegant on-the-ball play.

Jozy has done well, in my opinion. He is very likely worth quite a bit more at this stage than AZ paid and still has tremendous upside, but I believe Elm is considered a much more valuable player in the football world, with good reason - he is a pretty special player.

4. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I don't understand why/how anyone would place massive expectations on a bench player from Villareal with several failed loan attempts. How could his output be viewed as a disappointment? Like I said, elegant or not, without Jozy, AZ are a mid-table team and out of Europa in the early stages. Elm is very important to the team, too. It's hard to compare the value of two players who don't play the same position. But yes, Elm is probably viewed in the footballing world as more valuable.

5. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Funny - some seriously wrong predictions there - especially given picking the top 5 when you know PSV and AJax are 90% to be there and the range of other "usual suspects" is fairly small.

Some of whatever "Jozy disappointment" - and again, this is a dutch football show/website/paper - it doesn't need to be "fair and balanced" - there might be also has to do with Jozy's bright start. He had a few goals his first few games, looked like he might light it up and then, as to be expected, had a more up and down season, missed a few goals that looked easy, had verbeek call him out once or twice. I wouldn't read too much into one TV report.

Jozy has done well for his first season, increased his transfer value I would bet (the Dutch never mind having made a good business deal) - although I don't think he'll go anywhere - and is playing a big role on a top of table team while still figuring for the USMNT. Can't complain too much.

and Verbeek, while unusual, does have this team just keeping it's nose above the rest of the ered, which is not smal feat. It pains me to compliment the cheese vendors, but you must give credit where due, to Jozy and AZ.

7. Jozy:”Only Messi is complete”

On paper with 10 competition goals Jozy is doing well at AZ.
    Yet there is also criticism and a reserve bench place for the former youth star.
    “The coach really isnot going to bench me if I always perform well”

“I feel extremely strong”, JA says while poaring in a “Spa Blauw” at the Grand Café Van Gaal..
    “This season I probably will play more matches than ever before. I also improved on my number of goals per season. That does tell something. Yet I donot think those personal stats to be that important. It does me more that it delivers points to AZ.

Q: After a few failed adventures at Villarreal and Bursaspor your personal development must be at the center, doesnot it?
    JA: “No. Jozy is in the second place. Football is a team sport. This AZ is such a special team. Probably the most special I ever played for. Despite the competition we wish each other well and do not begrudge the success. If Charlison Benschop plays and scores, I sit on the bench with a happy feeling. I also hope that Ruud Boymans grabs his chance, really.

Q: That seems to me a tall story. If the competition does well, you might end on the bench.

JA: If that is what it takes to become champions, it has to be so. With us Americans the team always comes first. That is being taught from the Youth on. My parents raised me that way. On your own you achieve nothing. If Benschop and Boymans are successful too, it means a bigger chance on a prize.

Q: But as a footballer you always want to play, is not it?

JA: Yes, of course. But as a rule that does not always happen at a top club. If I get benched, I work harder to improve. The coach really is not going to bench me if I always perform well.

Q: In January during the training stage in Turkey you had a conversation with Verbeek. After that you were a substitute player. What kind of criticism did he have?

JA: He has the opinion that I did not develop enough on the footballing part. Verbeek demands more from a striker than I delivered at that moment.

Q: Did you agree with him?

JA: Yes, I’m not a perfect product. I am even far remote from that. Only Lionel Messi can say about himself that he’s completely perfect as a footballer.

Q: You’re only 22, but the outer world sees you as an experienced player. How difficult is that?

JA: Of the first team players indeed only Adam Maher is younger is younger than I am. A lot of people are surprised by that. I was very fortunate that I was allowed at a very young age to play big matches, even on a WC and the Olympics. Also my build contributes to the image. I’m not a small guy. Is it difficult? The expectations as a result can sometimes be high. Yet it does not scare me. The coach allows me to make mistakes. Those come with my age.

1 person likes this.
  8. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good but i'm sure some people will harp on his"it's a team sport and if the other forwards score that's great" line.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    true or not, I think it's the smart statement for where he is and what he is doing.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he's saying the right things but maybe he's matured a bit. I hope he's not slacking in training like he used to. He needs to stay at AZ next year.

11. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great interview to me. I like Jozy more after reading it.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about the Dutch national team. :eek:

13. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Jozy gets the start vs valencia, verbeek says we was best prepared for game and he had a bad game last week but he was ill.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And now I'm ill, thanks.

Can someone else make sense of this, by clarifying (for starters) the bolded words, and adding commas if appropriate. Thanks in advance!

15. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    oops sorry didnt even proof read :eek:

direct translation:
    Altidore
    Unlike the home game against RKC Waalwijk in the striker Altidore start against Valencia. "Simply the best preparation," argued Verbeek. "Jozy against Heracles was not good, but when he appeared ill. He had not said previously. He wanted to keep large. Against RKC he was not yet optimal fit, but he had a very acceptable 2nd half.

1 person likes this.
  16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no wonder

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Really??

Good grief. Try the US National Team forum next time you think the "0 World Cups just like us" Dutch have criticized Jozy. After that, anything Voetbal International says will seem like a tongue bath from kittens.

18. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Agree, the first 30 minutes of the show is talking about Barcelona and Özil as if they are gods. Then the usual Eredivisie bashing, followed by talking trash about several Eredivisie players. Unfortunately, the general public does take them seriously so it does affect the overall opinion of the Dutch football fans.

He's a decent striker for AZ. Targetman players such as Altidore and Vennegoor rarely get the praise they deserve. But especially in Europe, when you're the underdog, these kind of players are very important. I hope he can show that against Valencia tonight.

19. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Jozy has looked so bad today that I had to create an account just to post about it. He's given the ball away on most touches, and absolutely duffed a shot or two. It's quite frustrating to watch.

20. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    And he's off for Benschop.

21. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Absolutely dreadful performance.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    that's a bit better from AZ

23. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Altidore got criticized again by Voetbal International. They called him not suited for European top football and they don't understand why Benschop doesn't play.

Great victory by AZ and Altidore, Altidore wasn't good.

24. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    dreadful? I watched his entire time and saw nothing dreadful. His hold up play was good, he had some nice passes, and put himself in good positions. He should've done more with that shot he tried across his body, but dreadful is completely ridiculous. Average is how I would describe it.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Hasn't scored in a while now