Scirea versus Baresi

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Nov 23, 2011.

1. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Keiser was still better than Koeman though.

Having said that, I would not select Beckenbauer as defender in an All-star Legends team. I would select him as midfielder, DM to be precise.

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In terms of defending? No. Beckenbauer was by the way quite slow too in his later, trophy-winning, years.

Koeman should not be underrated. Except for Baresi, he was the best libero of his time. He was one of the best rated player of Barcelona for multiple years. He was also Cruyffs favourite player, who received never the same amount of complaints as Laudrup, Romario, Stoichkov, Zubizaretta or any other player did. The reason is quite simple: Cruyff hammered always on the positions and movement of the players, Koeman executed this the best (positional awareness and quickness in thinking was also Beckenbauer's asset in defending, not so much his heading, tackling, shot blocking etcetera). Of course, Koeman had many defensive lapses too, I will never put him in a top 10 of all-time because a defender has to... defend, but if people are not convinced, I will make an effort to find some lapses of Beckenbauer post-1970.

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, me too although I doubt whether such a fictional team would work in practice. A team with too many generals and too few soldiers will not work.

Jaweirdo repped this.
  4. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I will have to disagree. Beckenbauer was better than Koeman in terms of defending and every other aspect, except FKs and long range shooting.

On my fictional team, the biggest generals would be Cruyff and Beckenbauer. But such a team would be impractical more so because many of the greatest players overlap in terms of their best position and role. The defensive side might be easy, but how can Cruyff, Maradona, Pele, Muller and Garrincha play on the same team? Where and how to include Zico and Platini?

5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Koeman played with a high-line, that is something you should keep in mind. Also: a while ago I calculated the average goals conceded of goalkeepers and the clean sheets. Van Breukelen was very close to the top. Just guess who was in the back-line...

I also think that Koeman was better with his long-range passing (not short and medium range)

But OK, I will collect some mistakes (in case it is not clear: I do concur that Koeman had many of them too).

With Beckenbauer as DM you lack a ball-winner. It will not work because you have too many generals and also too few bodies to defend.

6. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The high-line has nothing to do with Koeman's tackling ability. And he wasn't the only defender in the backline to affect Van Breukelen's clean sheets.

No way.

Depends what you consider mistakes and what kind of mistakes. But I bet you Koeman had more.

You don't know what I lack because I haven't named my team. I only listed players' names to illustrate a point of how impractical is to fit all of them into functional formation due to their overlapping attacking positions/roles. Obviously some great names would need to be sacrificed in order to make the team fit into a functional formation.

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Then the attempt is pointless, there is of course also a lot more material of Koeman available.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    But both Koeman and Beckenbauer rarely used the sliding tackle (as opposed to Scirea). And as said before, Beckenbauer was not a God in tackling. He was no Baresi who won '50/50 balls' almost every time. Koeman had also a physical advantage in this respect. Koeman's weak point, even more than Baresi had, was one-on-one situations. He was for example nowhere when he had to face Gascoigne in the form of his life.

9. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Slide tackling is your barometer for measuring greatness in defenders?:rolleyes:

The greatest defenders rarely relied on slide tackling. Their superior other attributes helped them avoid being in such situations.

I'm not saying Beckenbauer was the best tackling defender, but he was still better than Koeman in this regard. He was a prototype of a defender that players like Scirea, Baresi and Koeman himself followed and tried to emulate.

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Please read the posts well. I covered both sliding tackles and 'normal' tackles.

But OK, agree to disagree. I will also not look for video material because apparently your reply will be 'Koeman had more'.

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think yonko meant any kind of tackles are not the measure of a great defender. I agree, positioning, aerial prowess, and of course ability with the ball are more important traits.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, but sometimes it is unavoidable. I an attacker recieved the ball directly in his feets then making a tackle is a pre.

Heading is indeed interesting: Beckenbauer was not good at it (often beaten in the air), Baresi slightly better and it was also not Koeman's strength. I think Scirea is even the best of those names (ahead of Baresi and then the rest).

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Not necessary Puck. I do play and coaching so I kinda know what am talking about!

First, great DF (with good skills and experiences) like Beckenbauer, Scirea, DeGuia, N Santos , Passarella, and lately Blanc, Thuram ... ALL SELDOM did direct tackles , since they could "predict" the opponent's movement and they could anticipate his passing, or dribbling "JUST IN TIME" - Tackles often end up with a caution or causing panick to the GK!

Secondly, TACKLE is a LAST resource to do (most used by so-so defenders with lesser skills in "anticipating the ball movement or opponent's movement"! There is a case that tackle is NEEDED like an opponent already in further position toward the box and ready to shoot and that DF was the last one (from behind or running in parallel)

14. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Puck, James is giving a very nice response. So instead of repeating I will just quote him below. In general, a great defender rarely uses tackling, instead he makes interceptions more often or man-marks an opponent out of the game. Tackling is for those last-ditch attempts to prevent a goal. Blocking is also used in those moments. It all about anticipation, positioning and decisions.

James, on a rare occasion you a make a good post like this one, which I can agree with. There is hope for you after all.:p;):D

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Likewise with your bold part! Keep it up mate

16. Willi Schulz

Willi Schulz New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Baresi was simply much more dominant than Scirea in the field and much more quicker and impenetrable. For many years, internationally

17. Willi Schulz

Willi Schulz New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Blanc, Koeman and Scirea are overrated. Too slow as defenders

18. Willi Schulz

Willi Schulz New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Here's Maradona telling Franco Baresi is the best defender ever.......

19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    agree to disagree. Especially Blanc and Scirea

20. mariokempes11

mariokempes11 New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    #45 mariokempes11, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Telling that Baresi was always behind Scirea in the National team is absolutely incorrect. There were 7 years of age difference between them. In 1982, Baresi was only 22 years, from 1983 he played several matches together with Scirea, Baresi as midfielder anyway. Then Baresi blatantly quarreled with Bearzot (he didn't want to play as midfielder) and was ousted by the National team for that. That was not a technical choice, it was a disciplinary action! Italy team results since that moment were very disappointing , going on with Scirea and without Baresi. Italy did not qualify for the European Championship (1984) and in the following World Cup was unwatchable, too many goals conceded with Scirea (even 2 with South Korea). Scirea was the worst sweeper of the World Cup in 1986 (many mistakes, against Maradona and Platini, too)! So very wrong choice by Enzo Bearzot to insist with Scirea, this is history! After 1986, with Azeglio Vicini, Baresi came back in the National team, in the role due to him.
    Baresi was more complete than Scirea, with his club had been at the top for many more years and in the National Team did much better at the World Cup. In fact it was included in the FIFA All Star Team in 1990 (something that never happened to Scirea). Scirea was not good as defender and a too slow player. Baresi, Beckenbauer, Mauro Ramos, Krol, Bobby Moore, Figueroa, Vasovic, Belodedici, Passarella, Morten Olsen ....were better than him, by far

21. mariokempes11

mariokempes11 New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I perfectly agree

22. mariokempes11

mariokempes11 New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Romario said almost the same after 1994 World Cup Final. He said that he never faced something like Baresi's defence. And this is why: