School Dress Codes, etc.

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Iceblink, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow, bfd. I wore a uniform through 10th grade. In unairconditioned rooms in a tropical country. OK, I didn't have a tie. But aside from that?

Uniforms are generally better than not having uniforms for approximately a shitload of reasons.

Worrying about how warm it gets in a room is entirely separate from uniforms, unless everyone has to wear sweaters or parkas.

2. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Any way you look at it uniforms solve more problems than they create. Economically, unless a school requires Oscar De la Renta school uniforms, the slacks and shirt cost less than this year's 'cool' pants and shirts. School uniforms doesn't necassarily mean prep school attire complete with school crest embossed blazer. Mom and Dad don't have to do the yearly new school fashion scramble (hey just dye those pants right back blue). Saves a good amount of time trying to pick out an outfit for the day. No more sticking your good expensive clothes or shoes in those grimy, fungus-ridden, theft-prone gym lockers. Just less negative judgment by morons who dog you if your the guy wearing K-mart clothes and the Payless shoes or 'skank gear'.

Like said before Clothes don't make the person, give instant personality or evolve/dissolve one's mental capacity to be an individual, that comes from you. Enough with this being a walking human billboard.

Some teachers need a dress code just so they remember to put on pants but more importantly underwear when they leave the house each day.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see:

Other than Catholic schools and other like Christian schools, I dont know of any public schools that require ties. Heck, I dont even know if Catholic schools require ties. Hell, I dont even wear a tie other than the first day of school or if we have a game that day. The uniform I am thinking of would be a pair of tan pants, a white polo and a pair a sneakers. Nothing that would create the problems you address in the first paragraph.

As far as what is wrong with the way students dress? Well, if left to their own devices, students at my school ( a large number of them) would come to work dressed as sluts and gangbangers ( which a significant chunk are ... both Crips and Bloods). This is a distraction. For the females ... I dont need to see tits and ass walking down the hall b/c in case you dont read the papers ... kids are overweight and out of shape. A lot of jiggling going on that does not need to jiggle. For the males ... well, I sure dont want to see Crip and Blood gang crap on them. Nothing more needs to be said about that. Uniforms solve this problem, somewhat.

You are correct in one respect, parents are to blame somewhat. But you know what? Most times, parents send their kids to school looking decent and the kids will have something else in their bag and change on the way to school and the parent wont have a clue. Happens every day in my school.

Just curious, are you still in high school and if so, could you describe your school so we can have a better understanding of your viewpoint.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have a dress code. Collar shirts, no jeans and no sneakers. Usually, the first week of the year, the prinicipal has a fashion show featuring members of the faculty in a "this is what you can wear/ this is what you cannot."

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Chrisitan schools, or at least Catholic schools, require ties. Their uniforms consist of a dress shirt, dress pants, a tie and dress shoes. Your uniform idea is much, much better than this.

My high school experience has been this- there's just about every possibly style of clothing walking around the halls. Seriously, everything you can imagine, even soccer jerseys. Obviously some kids really don't find other styles cool and may make a remark or two, but nothing serious. If anyone puts on something unappropriate, they're sent to the office to change their attire.