Schedule & Draw of the 2003 Confederations Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by GIO17, Nov 4, 2002.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    FIFA has just announced the schedule of the Confederations Cup France will lead Group A while Brazil will lead Group B Also both UEFA & CONMEBOL Teams will not be in the same groups.

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_M/45958_E.html

The draw for the Confederations Cup will be on February 12th before France's Friendly against the Czech Republic

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    So two of the groups will be:

Group A:
    1. France
    2. Colombia

Group B:
    1. Brazil
    2. Turkey

With one team from Asia (Japan), Africa (Cameroon), Oceania (New Zealand) and CONCACAF (USA), there could be some interesting matchups.

Sachin

3. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    where will the confed cup take place? and why is Turkey in it?

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It takes place in France sometime next summer and Turkey was invited after Germany and Italy turned down invites.

No idea how they were picked.

Sachin

5. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    Arrogant Germans and Italians turning down bids no surprise there.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh please. The desire to keep your players fresh as a gueling European season winds down and Euro2004 qualifying heats up is not a bad one.

I'm surprised Portugal didn't make an appearance. And I wish the USA had said no.

It's a Micky Mouse tournament.

Sachin

7. puma182

puma182 New Member

May 8, 2002
    I think what Mr Magoo is really asking here is "... and why is England not in it?" ;-)

8. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    why the hell fifa helds this tournament a year after the wc? they could do this in the olympic year since it already became u-23 tournament.

i prefer japan to be put in the group b. pay back time for turkey. also it'll be cool if we face france in the final at saint denis. another chance for revenge.

9. Nobby

Nobby New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    Holding the tournament in Olympic years would confict with the European and African national competitions, I believe.

Group B does look like the stronger group, but I expect France playing at home will be stronger than they were in Korea. It would be great to see Japan replay Turkey.

This is a good opportunity for US and the others to play some quality opponents from outside their regions. Why play in this minor tournament? I don't know. Why play in meanlingless friendlies?

Weird, I've become a Confederations Cup apologist.

10. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Because Turkey where the third in the last World Cup.

Italy where the finalist in EURO 2000 but turned down the invitation
    Germany where the finalist in World Cup 2002 but turned down the invitation.

So it's only Turkey left since they won the bronze.