Schalke vs. Koln, 12/2/17 McKennie Starts

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bob Morocco, Dec 2, 2017.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    GOOD: Box to box this game, complete freedom and taking it. Blown away by how good his small quick touch/flicks are in tight space to a square player. Seemed very aware of where he was and his teammates.

Lungs of steel and work rate and attitude that makes me smile. Off the ball movement on offense, making lots of runs into space. Tracked back so well and just inches from poking the ball away on 2 occasions from behind that would stopped the counter.

BAD: still a little grabby at times if his guy gets past him. Had that bad giveaway early that almost led to goal, would have been demoralizing. Left a couple passes a bit short. Someone mentioned earlier of him running in circles off the ball, he did a bit of that... lots of movement and diagonal runs that didn't really fit. Not at fault at all for the goal but did totally let his man run free, would've been bad if ball bounced a different way. Needed to stay tight there.

Overall, loved his play today. The skill and spirit are at solid levels, I'm on work him getting pulled after 60 min, that's a fine place to be right now.

freisland repped this.
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Didn't Goretzka and McKennie partner in cmid previously?

They are asking a lot of him but he could do it if he gets his brain in sync with the game

Anyway, yes, he was dragging. Slow in understanding how quickly to move on turnover of possession or in showing for the ball in the middle third in possession. Not quite my tempo.

I started feeling sorry for Schalke manager who had to be going thru what poor Simmons had to put up with trying to get his drummer in sync here.