Scandinavian/Nordic non-football thread

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Ceres, Apr 2, 2011.

1. madzillagd

madzillagd Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Sacramento
    Nobel is on Netflix

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    sadly i don't have it

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Yes... Variety are predicting Casey Affleck to win with Denzel Washington being the 'possible spoiler' ... and considering how the Oscars have been under fire for being way too bias against colored actors, I personally think that Denzel Washington could be the actual favorite ...

http://variety.com/2015/film/in-contention/oscars-predictions-best-actor-1201601070/

The Danish Short Film Silent Nights is the favorite to take home the Oscar in the category Best Short Film, Live Action. :

http://variety.com/2015/film/in-con...tions-best-short-film-live-action-1201660130/

The last time a Danish film won this category was in 2014 with the short film 'Helium'

In the Best Foreign Language Film category, they consider Land of Mine to be the 'possible spoiler', while A Man Called Ove is the 'Dark Horse' ...

http://variety.com/2015/film/in-contention/oscars-predictions-best-foreign-language-film-1201601626/

I watched A Man Called Ove yesterday, before going to bed ... and I think Variety got their prediction right about this Swedish movie, it's quite good ... I have not watched the German favorite, but unlike the Danish nominee The War (Krigen), I really believe Land of Mine could take this home, just as it won all categories by a landslide last year a head of 'The War' at the Danish "Oscars", the Bodil awards ... The last time a Danish film won this category was in 2011 with 'In a Better World' by Susanne Bier .... and Land of Mine is the 5th Danish nominee since 2011... A Royal Affair was nominated in 2013, 'The Hunt' (Jagten) in 2014 and then obviously 'The War' in 2016.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    please don't say "colored". It's okay to say "people of color/actors of color but not "colored". At least not in the USA

I'm sure Denzel is quite annoyed he didn't get a Directing nod for Fences. Another film I need to DL.

I haven't yet seen La La Land but that's just because I find musicals so infuriating. Heard great things about it. The films you mentioned, I def need to DL.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #205 Ceres, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    A Man Called Ove is a very good comedy/drama about a grumpy older man who want to kill himself after his wife has died ... but his attempts are constatly being derailed by his unsuspecting neighbours and random people he help on his way. We also get these flashbacks about his childhood, early life and his wife, which slowly reveal and unravel the man called Ove .. very nicely done ...

I just looked up the German submission for Best Foreign Language Film ... German cinema is not really my cup of tea and you will be hard pressed to find a German film in a Danish movie theater in any case ... this is a 162 minutes long comedy/drama about an old-age hippie trying to reconnect with his daughter, who is pursuing a career in business ... so this I'm not going to spend almost 3 hours of my time to watch ...

The Danish Short Film Silent Nights has actually not been released anywhere and only the Oscar committee have been allowed a preview, which is also why there are no trailer on youtube as of yet, only the film makers own facebook trailer that I posted earlier .. so it's a bit of a mystery how it got selected in the first place, with no reviews and picked out of nowhere ... Danish film must be pretty popular in the upper echelons of Hollywood ...

IL Kicks and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    they def seem to go hard for Danish actors as of late, Coster Waldau on Game of Thrones, Pilou Asbaek is all over the place. Mads Mikkelsen is in film and tv and has quite a fanbase as well.

7. IL Kicks

IL Kicks Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We took a DVD of "A Man Called Ove" back to our Chicago home and we have watched it a couple of times. It is definately worth the time to watch. In fact, our local Chicago theatre showed "A Man Called Ove" in one of its theatres for about two/three months due to popularity, along with "Rogue One" and the other new releases. What is surprising is that many Americans normally don't like to watch films with subtitles, but the Ove story became popular even though it had subtitles.

Another Swedish story worth reading is "The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. It's been out a couple of years now and I really hope someone makes a film version of it.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the average American perhaps but again it depends on what they're exposed to. I recall in the UK several Scandinavian based series are very popular. I imagine they would find a sizable market over here as well if they pushed them well enough. 10 years ago I would never have enjoyed subtitles but over time I got used to it and it doesn't matter much when I know the film is worth it.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Susanne Bier who won the Oscar in 2011 has just won the Primetime Emmy Award for her English BBC TV miniseries The Night Manager ... it also won 3 Golden Globe Awards ...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If you like the darker than dark and intriguing Nordic noir crime thrillers, then the by far most popular Danish movies the past few years are the Department Q trilogy ... Dept. Q: The Keeper of Lost Causes (Kvinden i Buret), Dept. Q: The Absent One (Fasandræberne) and A Conspiracy of Faith (Flaskepost fra P), all starring Nikolaj Lie Kaas, who you have mentioned earlier .. it has a kind of X-files vibe to it, with two outcast cops tucked away in department Q, trying to solve the most strange unsolvable crimes ... here is the IFC trilogy trailer ... :

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    thank god I don't have work until Saturday. Loads of time to watch these. Thanks for posting.

Have you seen the series I mentioned earlier "Nobel? I'm very curious about seeing it but sadly i've no Netflix

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No .. I do not have Netflix either ...

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    my friend's gf gave me her info a year or 2 back but I can't recall it.

I've also seen that Norwegian series Occupation which started off well for me but kinda dragged eventually. Overall I quite enjoy Scandinavian films and tv (but i'm biased after 16 months in Stockholm when I was younger).

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #214 Ceres, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    You would think that we, as a small Nordic country, get the opportunity to watch lots of German and Nordic movies and TV series in Denmark, like Norwegian Lilyhammer and the series you mentioned, but this is not really the case ... then you need netflix or to download stuff, just like you do ... besides fairly extensive Danish productions and Danish-Swedish co-productions like The Bridge (Broen), we mainly get to watch English, American and French movies and TV series .. just as I guess the UK mainly get to watch American, French, Danish and Swedish TV series and little else ... In the US you have the English BBC America and then get to watch some Canadian stuff and a few remakes, mainly based on French, Danish and Swedish movies and TV series and probably little else...

15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #215 Ceres, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    I guess then you would also need to say people of white color or actors of white color and not white people or white actors ? ... otherwise it would make no sense to a Dane ...

In Denmark political correctness and censorship of any kind has never really been popular.... In the Viking age it would be quite unthinkable and you watched the Danish movie A Royal Affair, which was also dealing with the issue of censorship, long before the French revolution ... but then we also never really had real black/white issues ... In Sweden, that has always promoted strict censorship and is all about political correctness these days, they have even been editing out the word "negro" from old books and movies and from old children series like Pippi Longstocking :
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/03/...ongstockings-words-to-be-modified-for-tv.html

I dont like that at all ... and this you would never see here in Denmark .. Politicians and the media should never be allowed to use censorship and limit freedom of speech in the name of political correctness, to edit the parts of history they do not like, as if it never was and never happened ...

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #216 LouisianaViking07/09, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    I must admit I do admire how you Danes are different from Swedes when it comes to PC things. I'm not bothered by it. It's just "colored" rubs me the wrong way. So I apologize if me writing it came off as aggressive or anything. I know you don't mean anything by it. And I know it's still used in probably parts of the Commonwealth, but it's bizarre I'd imagine for any American to hear it.

Well like many things I'm sure it's just some leftist who feels it might offend some Black people though I doubt many if any Blacks in Sweden are offended by Pippi Longstocking novels written decades ago.

Some PC issues are simply a manner of respect. Sometimes you white folks forget we're all the same and simply wanna be equal. No more, no less ;)

17. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    From Halden to Attica

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    There is so much we could learn from you Vikings. Though I imagine many would find it impossible to accept or even succesfully apply here.

19. hi!!

hi!! Member

Apr 18, 2007
    You can't have that system other than in a homogenious high trust society. Even then, it's flawed. It'll backfire sooner or later now.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the Nordic model you mean? I imagine if perhaps Scandinavia did a better job of integrating newcomers or simply did not import so many so quickly, the model would continue to work almost perfectly

21. hi!!

hi!! Member

Apr 18, 2007
    I don't know about that, not sure if anything good can really last. When things are a bit too good I honestly Think people tend to become a bit stupid, lazy and naive. And then they throw it all away.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great point

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is this from up North or southern Sweden? I mean is most of thise type of folk music from North or South?

24. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The model would probably not work copied directly in to another society like Hi! said. Still there are elements other systems and communeties probably could benefit from. Just like the Nordic Countries could.
    They broadcasted the full documentary on the state channel the day i posted the videos . And there was actually a place in the US that had started to test some of the elements. Their main point was how you could expect the community to handle a person the prison wasn't`t able to handle ? What do you expect when you release a prisoner directly from isolation to the society .

Still i see and understand your point on things being to good to either last or be true.
    But on the other side the Nordic countries do not have a history to waste in the long run ;)

25. hi!!

hi!! Member

Apr 18, 2007
    #225 hi!!, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    I didnt watch the full documentary but surely this system only includes prisoners of lesser crime or something?

I think it's complete lunacy to try to rehabilitate any non ethnic Norwegians to be honest. And even then they should differentiate the Norwegians who deserve to be rehabilitated and those who don't deserve it.

It's like inviting someone to your house. Let him trash your house. And then pay for his therapy.