Rumor: Say it ain't so Stevie!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by new_skin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. safe hands 01

safe hands 01 New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Salem, Oregon, USA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Come on sweetness, no come back to my post? :p

2. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    QFT and repped.

3. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Stevie is going to have season ending hip-surgery next tuesday.

He's been plainyg under a lot of pain for 4 months now.

4. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you thought Cher was a great crosser of the ball, you should of seen Sonny Bono (aka "The Carmellian Beckham")

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dammit that sucks! But now's the time to have it done. It's too risky to have done in the summer with the WC looming. Having surgery now gives Dolo some cushion is the recovery process. what exactly is the issue? What is the recovery time? Jonathan Spector had surgery to repair torn labrun in one of his hips and it took a good while to recover.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Yeah I was bored and rather than be lazy I looked for confirmation myself. I found it quickly on Hannover's site. :p

Thanks for supplying the link to the thread though.

8. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    It will be around end of the season. Even possible that he could play the last one or two games.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ich danke ihnen! Mein Deutsch ist manchmal arm:D

(Hell, I hope I said that right) :D

10. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably THE most underrated USMNT player...as far as people wanting to replace him (without cause) or not giving credit...

Does exactly what we need...doesn't get burned often, makes very nice overlapping runs with good crosses and doesn't lose the ball often...plus tons of experience. His spot is and should be locked considering he's healthy.

Oh, and RB/LB is definitely not the easiest position...teams live and die by knowing/not knowing how to use these players...and i'm not saying that just because I play RB :p:D

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Dolo is on form and is healthy he is the RB. No bones about it. However, I am fully aware that he hasn't be in form since last summer for club and country. He's been burned. He has made costly errant passes. He's picked up needless cards. And generally hasn't looked up to snuff. It's been a serious concern. But if I had to guess it's the hip injury that has factored into his poor play. Thus, I am hoping he isn't rushed back too fast from surgery.

Oh, as former LB in college I fully get what you were saying. A teams success (offensively /defensively) can hinge on whether or not the coach and team knows how to utilize the outside backs. It frustrating for us outside backs, too!! :)

12. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real bummer about the injury and surgery, as this will knock Cherundolo out of summer Cup action for the 2nd time in two years (he also missed the summer of 2007 with injuries). As a fan of Cherundolo who definitely considers him underrated in our pool, I'm bummed.

Hope he can get healthy and back to form by the end of the calendar year.

13. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he has been a good solid back for us. His downside is his size and the fact that he often gets muscled off the ball. He is not a very intimidating player from a mental perspective.

Frankly, he is solid but not spectacular. I hope that someone who can be spectacular (ala Tony Sanneh 2002 WC) can now take the spot from Steve.

Frankly, Frankie probably just booked his ticket to South Africa. Even is Steve is done with rehab by June, he won't be international match fit. Frankie will and he has been playing really well. He stays the starter, plus he will be in top form with the MLS season in full swing.

The big question is: will Bradley even use Cherundolo in either Gold Cup or Confed Cup, or choose to give guys like Wynne, Spector, Simek, and Lichaj a chance to work their way into the lineup.

The bigger question is if Hejduk keeps up his form and one of the above youngsters steps it up big time, will Stevie even make into serious national team contention again? Quite possibly not.

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So all should be well for the Nats.

I'm far more concerned about his whereabouts next season...

15. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll be almost old enough to play for the Galaxy next year. :D

Seriously, I doubt he will have much difficulty in landing a roster spot at a decent club.