#savethecrew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by stanger, Mar 11, 2018.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was basking in the glow of yesterday’s victory, I started thinking about what else can be done to keep the team where it belongs, here in CBus. I know the #savethecrew people are doing a fantastic job signing up companies to be sponsors but what does that entail? Stickers on their windows, social media mentions? Are we asking them to buy tickets for their employees? Running ticket giveaways for the people that use their businesses?

If that is already being done I apologize, I just haven’t seen it.

Robbiegoal, Ch(Elsey) and TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 Ch(Elsey), Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    I would bet you are all of us.

Maybe one of us could contact one of the main people within the STC oligarchy and start a discussion. I know I tried some weeks back. One of you charmers might have better luck.

Edit: Please do not misconstrue my post. I have a lot of praise for the STC folks.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Chelsey, no one is more charming than you.

Aaron d repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is being discussed on the Facebook groups and is the source of much drama.

Where that money is going seems to be anyone's guess, as they aren't too keen to release their financials.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter,

I am going to be as nice as I can possibly be with my response so please bear with me.

I do not think the purpose of @stanger's post is to ask about where money is going. If I could interpret his post it would read something like: how can I help? Which is ********ing fantastic. I tried to add: how can we help?

Drama, infighting, or however else you want to call that bullshit is so ********ing counter-productive to our overall joint effort to #SaveTheCrew. We are at war with a ********ing baby child and acting like him only makes us weak.

Keep whatever nonsense to the Facebook group(s). This place is Bigsoccer. We know who we are and what we can do. Just ask Greg Andrulis.

Please and thank you.

6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I was wondering if the business partners were being asked to purchase tickets or just to display the logo.

I'm on the facebook page, too, but don't look at it all that often. I watched the drama previously and dont want any part of that.

I am a little surprised that people are questioning anything considering the countless hours of volunteer time people seem to be putting into the effort and what has been accomplished.

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Ch(Elsey), Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    I am going to provide you with a little bit of information on me so I give you this warning in advance. Skip this post if you are not interested.

I would say I have been around the supporters' section for some years (like many of you). Predating the stage, the current, active supporters' groups, etc. I remember being around during the founding of Crew Union. I do not claim to be a founder because that was never my role. I get no boners from titles and attention. I prefer to show up and vocally support Crew. Nothing much more and certainly nothing less.

However, what I think I can state with certainty is that I have been a card-carrying member of Crew Union since the beginning (again like many of you). Why do I mention this background information? Well when I keep reading about this “calling out” of STC in terms of money, I think about the good people I have been privileged to know over the years through Crew Union. I am thinking Robbie, Kevin, the old farts (their self-designated name, not one I would give them), and probably other people whom are so far in the background that I do not know their names (or are newer and I have not kept up with the current leadership). Those guys do shit throughout the year and at tailgates that I have no ********ing desire to do. No ********ing wish. And you know what? I am ********ing indebted to them.

Additionally, do you know how many times I sat around and thought “oh I wonder if Crew Union is doing exactly what I would want to be done with the money I paid towards a membership?” Never. Not once. Why? Because of what I said in the previous paragraph. These guys have spent their time and energy (both of which I have no ********ing want to do, let me kindly remind you) on putting together quality stuff for Crew supporters. And you know who I saw doing those very same things yesterday? The same ********ing guys.

You can wonder where the extra money is going, but I would challenge you to pause and think why a public call-out is necessary. What is the purpose? Positive? Negative division? Furthermore, I beg every last one of you to not come out of whatever roach-infested hotel you stayed at last night to blast me on the validity of your argument about wanting to know where such-and-such money is being spent and how it is being spent. Please go ask those questions in some Facebook group. I can provide some links if you need them.

I really would love this thread to be about ideas to bring to STC (or to share amongst ourselves).

Stanger – some weeks ago, when I was thinking similar things as you (great minds, right?), I went looking at the STC page on business allies. I wondered if they could develop different tiers of business allies to accommodate your suggestion. Though I will admit I am uneasy with offering up any suggestions. As someone who is sensitive to other people’s work, I am reluctant to suggest something to another person (people) who has already done the legwork. Think: "Hey, um yes you, great job busting your ass getting these businesses together. I would suggest so-and-so actions as well."

Maybe one of you charmers can think of how to better phrase these thoughts.

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I can personally attest to the thrust of this paragraph, but it's things like the bold part that puttputt was talking about when he said no one is more charming than Chelsey. Seriously, that is the most appropriately inappropriate thing to say, and it's wonderful.

Also, the rest of this is doubleplusgood.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just add one more thought. I have my own design on how I enjoy Crew games, the Crew experience, and the Crew community. One thing I have really tried to remember since we began this war is that each of us has our own preference on these things. Perhaps some of you like to be front and center of a movement. Maybe some of you prefer to sit during the games and not chant. Others may prefer to spend this season at home with Crew on ignore. To each their ********ing own. I am thankful that people have different preferences because if those people did not exist, then the supporters' groups would not exist, the TIFO and banners would not exist, and the tailgates would not exist. Because I am not one to lead those things or do any of that creative stuff.

We are going to need Crew fans to put on their [what did Archer call them, "big boy panties"?] and show as much solidarity against the ********ing death march to the end of our beloved Crew. At this point you might as well be against us if you are not with us (which I ********ing hate that phrase, but we just may be there). Attention whores, we need you. Part-timers, we need you. Old-timers, we need you. Female and male divas, we need you (and no not that diva). Crew fan and alive? Yes, we need you.

Unless you are secretly in love with the Vultures' Austin plan because those people can ******** off and die.

10. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Ways to improve the effort:

Publish a marketing plan. Use examples from top sponsors of #SaveTheCrew and how they could utilize games this season to increase their exposure and/or increase fan interest in the game.

Launch a unified 2019 season ticket deposit program. This year's ticket sales are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Being able to show a number sooner than later of those who would commit to a season ticket under new management could be crucial to drumming up more local investment support.

Organize away trip presence for as many games as possible.

Stay on message - a positive message! I can't help but think the **** You Precourt chant led directly to Montreal's 2nd goal.

Kid photo campaign. Bring your kids out to the games and have a central place to post pictures of "The Future Season Ticket Purchasers of the Columbus Crew."

The importance is showing how well this club could work right here if under appropriate management.

LaMacchia and chr1st repped this.
  11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you will pardon me, then I will be giving your post a more thoughtful read sometime later tonight or tomorrow morning. I am about to get into the bath and nighttime routine with my kids.

Oh and stanger, I am truly not trying to monopolize your thread. So I apologize if it prima facie looks like it. I am not.

But I do want to issue one last warning: To those negative Nancys (you know who you are), please move the ******** along from this thread. Read it, let the words sink into your black hearts, and then go read the Lawsuit or Crew to Austin threads. This thread is not for the cynical bastards who want to tell anyone that will listen that none of what we do matters. Because what the ********, maybe it does not matter in the grand scheme of things. However, that should not stop us from caring, trying, and sharing ideas.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Do not go gentle into that cruel night

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

13. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    IMG_5783.JPG

This is literally the first thing that jumped into my mind when you said that...

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chelsea, believe it or not, I have been around it as long as you have, just not as involved. The SG's were a great way for me and a few friends to buy tickets when we could go and not have to buy season tickets. I had heard about the drama but was never directly involved, nor did I want to be. Like you, I enjoyed being a cursory part of something much bigger without having to do the heavy lifting.

That's why I phrased my initial post the way I did. I don't want to act like a I have an answer people giving all their free time have probably already thought of. But if they haven't, great, glad I could contribute.

Kevin and Robert are guys I know, and know me. That's about it, really. I did introduce myself to @YeahMorgan waiting for a guy to pour a beer above 101 on Saturday but I'm sure he doesn't know my name and wouldn't recognize me if he was behind me in line at a store.

Point is, I want to help, to brainstorm ideas that may have already been put in action, without blowback or drama.

I will add that if there is money left at the end of this and we aren't successful I have no problem with the people working every day taking the cash and getting a good drunk on. They deserve it.

So, have we asked the business allies to buy tickets?

Bill Archer repped this.
  15. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I disagree with getting business allies to buy tickets for now!

Have them contribute to 2019 Contingent Season Ticket Deposits.

I really wouldn't worry about this season attendance. It is to stay focused on the promised land of next year under new ownership.

Kryptonite repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Really, there are people accusing STC of being some profit making enterprise?

They must be sock puppets for Greeley, Loughnane, and Suttle.

17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen people questioning where the money is going, how much there is.

I really don't want to talk about that. Really. I don't understand it, don't believe it is happening and want no part of any discussion anywhere near it.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not need to believe your statement for your statement to be true. Though I will choose to believe it not that any of that really matters. I am glad you could produce a win-win situation for the supporters’ groups, you, and your friends.

Agreed. I love your sentiment, and I love this thread. Thank you for starting it. When I was reading through the old threads on Andrulis, I began to remember that a lot of the ideas we put into action were a result of the brainstorming on this board. Stuff like what was said on banners.

No matter what some twit journalist whom I had never heard of before last November may think of this board, I hold a high opinion of my fellow Crew posters (well most of you anyway). A lot of brainy people exist around here. I mean, ********, we are message board nerds, folks. You had talk veer off to 529 plans the other day.

stanger repped this.
  19. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have probably made this point two or three times in our board's most epic and monumental thread. And others have, as well. But it is worth repeating. There certainly will (as many have said) be an effort by Donny Garbage and Anthony Preschooled to point towards this season's attendance as an indicator that our market is finished.

Therefore, the single most effective way to counter those "metrics" is an overwhelming - and financially quantifiable - showing of future support for a locally owned and run franchise. ****** them and their bogus metrics.

Not that I've given this matter any thought whatsoever.

20. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Get in touch with the FillTheFre folks (it's an offshoot of STC). They are doing exactly what you are talking about and need more folks. This is the perfect opportunity for folks that can't dedicate insane amounts of time for STC but want to contribute in an organized effort.

To address two other concerns briefly:
    • Business allies are being asked to purchase tickets (or STM) and some are. But we can do better.
    • 100% of the money is being reinvested into the movement. None of these guys/gals are making a cent for their time and effort and believe me if they did charge per hour then there aren't enough jersey/scarf sales in MLS to compensate them fairly. These are good people doing Guillermo's work and do not deserve the ire that's coming down...there are plenty of other folks that can take that place.

Bill Archer, Draghignazzo and stanger repped this.
  21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bravo. Well said. Corporate sponsors should take a page from Columbia Gas. "We're on board for next year moreso than this."

TKyle and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I volunteer that if this situation turns out in a positive way, then I will get that thread bound and ship it out to each of you guys. I can edit the worthless shit out of it if need be as well. Bonus: I can add the Lawsuit and this thread as addenda.

I recall Archer had a good framework for this plan. Can we just call it the “Bill Archer 614 Plan?” I would bet his thousands of fanboys would flock to drop whatever money they have to be put into a bank.

Exactly. A non-issue with us heathens on Bigsoccer.

I echo stanger – that when this shitshow ends, in whatever way, that those guys and gals deserve a good drink(s).

MLSinSTL and stanger repped this.
  23. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This notion of “Let’s all not go to the games. That’ll show him!” Is plain silly. The $100-$150 it costs to take my family to the games isn’t going to affect Precourt’s bottom line. We could have packed the stadium with 20,000 fans every weekend and all of these events would have played out the same. That jackass had this whole thing planned from the beginning (albeit poorly). I say go to as many games as you’re able to. You will regret not experiencing this season wether the team is here in 2019 or not.

Jim Bach and stanger repped this.
  24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Bigsoccer Crew representative to STC, yes well the message from this board seems to be pretty clear:

We are extremely angry. We are not going to go away silently into the night with smiles on our faces while we have knives in our backs. Things are about to take the turn for the dark before we can ever see the light. Brace for it.

Coupe repped this.
  25. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I hope and Believe that the team's play this year is going to be so entertaining and exciting that you will be damned glad you experienced it. Plus just think Precourt will be so pissed that we had a good time and showed that we will support our team even if the owner is a low life douchebag plus he is a*"*#$##$$##!!!

stanger repped this.