#SavetheCrew

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by don gagliardi, Oct 18, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #526 falvo, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    But we had SSV with our own Don Gagliardi and Colin McCarthy working tirelessly as well. I am sure they can fill us in better as I can’t recall every detail but I believe we had a city council meeting and many fans showed up but it didn’t keep the team from moving.

If in fact their actions paid off , we still had to start over two seasons later with an expansion team.

Sadly , judging by last seasons record, we are in still in worse expansion shape than we were in 2008

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Lew/Fisher were ready to invest yet. They would have had to have put forth some stadium plan. Quite convenient how they popped up right after the team left with a low buy in option.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose had the same thing in SSV. Columbus had the advantage of better municipal support and a a viable ownership group come forth. You can laud the Crew fans all you want, but, it would have never happened without serious money.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah maybe. I just remembered Garber saying he team would start again in 2007 but instead, they announced the revival that summer.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What SSV did was also laudable. If not for them, I assume MLS would not have allowed a reboot in San Jose.

Social media was probably the key difference. Not only could fans across the country get involved and voice support, but it also made it far easier to organize and mobilize the Crew fan base. I'm not downgrading what SSV did here. But I followed #SaveTheCrew from the beginning and I couldn't believe how hard they were working. They basically made Saving the Crew a business. I am sure it was a 20-40 hour per week job for quite a few of those people, and it went on for what, the entire 2018 season? I really feel what they did was monumental in modern American sports history and American corporate culture.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #531 falvo, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Thinking it over more, whether they were ready to go through with their Quakes investment or not, I don't believe AEG really ever had much intention to sell to Lew & Fisher. They basically inherited the team for peanuts and I don't think they ever paid for it. I remember Tim Leiweke complaining or at least making noise at the AEG Bay Area Bike Race in early December 2005 and how they spent $20 million (bla bla bla) on the Quakes and that they didn't intend to lose anymore. Of course he failed to mention how he stole or got LAndy free of charge gaining two championships in the meantime.

In 2008, AEG sold 50% of the Dynamo to Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions and in December , 2015, they sold the other half of the team to Gabriel Brenner. Of course terms of both agreements were never disclosed but I'm betting they ended up making $150 million if not more. This isn't even counting what they made by owning the Dynamo and their MLS CUPS....

That's not bad considering they got the team for nothing.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Now that the Crew have been saved, I was revisiting this thread and came across a post by @mjlee22, who observed that UCLA law professor Steven Banks had tweeted at the onset of the lawsuit that it was doomed to failure. Thought I would check his more recent tweets in search of a mea culpa.

Leave it to a pointy-headed professor to miss the real-world point. The purpose of a lawsuit is not to clarify the underlying law but to achieve a particular result, which happened in this case despite Professor Banks (and others, including Don Garber and many posters on BigSoccer) contending that the lawsuit was unhelpful.

DotMPP and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Au contraire, i think you misread his point. Prof Bank wrote it was "a happy ending" that "legally-speaking" left the Modell Law largely unresolved. I took that to mean that the lawsuit achieved what it needed to do. But obviously, should such a situation occur again, i.e. scumbag owner wants to move the team after using public resources, the whole process will have to be stepped through again.

I've been following @ProfBank for quite awhile and find his tweets very illuminating, and he comes across as warm and genuine. Not like a lawyer. hahahaha. He's just like you, Don!

He referees AYSO in I assume Beverly Hills, cuz sometimes he runs into Will Ferrell on the fields. If you can't trust an AYSO referee, who can you trust? :D

don gagliardi repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    mjlee22 repped this.
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay, I will withhold judgment. He does seem to opine on soccer quite a bit based on a review of his recent tweets.

mjlee22 repped this.
  12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What are you smoking? :)

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha i immediately thought Earthshaker wrote that. :eek:

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for the fans in Austin, but terrible for the league, and screw Precourt. What a scum.

Could make for some intersting tifo though, especially when Austin visits Columbus. :devilish:

Go Quakes!!
    Go Crew!!

- Mark

bsman repped this.
  18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was Austin’s legendary announcement?
    Team up for sale?

19. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We have celebrity parents, mostly of the Silicon Valley type, not Hollywood. They are not our difficult entitled parents -- in fact, they often volunteer to coach or referee.

21. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's too many teams already. I follow MLS less and less the bigger it's gotten.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Livestream announcement. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #549 Goodsport, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that Precourt develops a nasty wasting disease that eats him from the inside slowly. Then after he's dead, I'll go pee on his grave.

mjlee22 repped this.