#SavetheCrew

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by don gagliardi, Oct 18, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting analogy to 19th century Corn Laws in Britain, published yesterday by a UCLA professor.

". . . Today the limiting resource whose owners capture the benefits of growth is not agricultural land but housing, and just as during the era of the Corn Laws, what appears to be a natural limit of geography is really an arbitrary imposition of bad policy. . . "

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/high-housing-prices-solution-relax-constraints-on-supply/

DotMPP and SJTillIDie repped this.
  2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Side note: it would be nice if the National Review could educate some of their buddies in the Trump administration econ/trade teams on Ricardo and Stolper-Samuelson.

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From what I've seen, the National Review commentators (who are not monolithic, and argue among themselves) are fairly uniformly opposed to Trump's tariff policies.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From Ferris Buehler's Day Off:

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    falvo repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This letter from MLS is being discussed by me and others on the Crew to Austin in 2019 (Maybe) thread over in the Columbus forum.

mjlee22 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn’t find the post where I questioned the actual economic benefit of Avaya Stadium to San Jose. But the letter (written by Stanford economics prof) posted in this tweet is an amazing breakdown of how to analyze the lofty benefits to Austin, as touted by the slimy Anthony Precourt.

976818536789225472 is not a valid tweet id

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Justin Meram joining the "Throw Columbus Under the Bus" brigade along with Michael Bradley*.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...-meram-says-some-markets-are-holding-back-mls

*Bradley, 30, did not sit on the fence.

“Look, on one hand you feel for the small group of loyal supporters that they have who have been here since the beginning, who continue to support the team and come out week after week. On the other hand, you can’t deny the fact that things here have really fallen behind in terms of the atmosphere in the stadium, the quality of the stadium, what it’s like to play here,” Bradley said.

“I don’t know who’s at fault for that… there’s a lot going on, and I get that – and like I said, as an outsider I don’t know what that falls on. But again, the reality is just that as the league has continued to grow and grow – and this is not the only one, but this is one of a few markets that has not kept pace.”

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This guy plays for the Iraqi national team? Imagine if his same logic were applied to the world stage. I mean when you look at facilities, GDP, the whole package, some countries just aren't keeping up to the global standard. Should they be wiped from the map, Justin Meram, cosmopolitan commentator?

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe ESPN is doing some kind of caching. Works fine for me, and the link clearly references the Justin Meram article. Trying quitting and re-opening your browser (not just the window or tab, the application).

mjlee22 repped this.
  12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that I’ve read the article, I think the headline that Meram threw the Crew under the bus is completely misconstrued.

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I understood the throwing-under-the-bus metaphor was Jazzy's interpretation, not the headline verbiage. How did he misconstrue Meram's comments?

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Meram tried to shovel his way out of his comments and profess support for the Crew, but it is obvious he was being critical of the "holding us back" markets like Columbus when he said this:

"I think there are certain markets that are kind of, maybe, holding back MLS," Meram told ESPN's Taylor Twellman in the Heineken Boot Room.

"Training facilities, stadium, fans, just kind of the whole package. You're seeing in Atlanta, LAFC, Portland, Seattle, here in Orlando, Kansas City, they're doing it right."

Those comments are very similar to the ones that Michael Bradley made. And he didn't even criticize the clubs. He criticized the markets, which is reminiscent of the some of the comments that a few Quakes players like Pat Onstad made about how AEG just could not stay in SJ given the stadium situation or lack of support or whatever from the city and community, and poor AEG had no choice but to move the team.

And then he went on to say that Orlando FC is the #1 team in Orlando (ahead of the Magic NBA team), but in Columbus the Crew were not even ahead of Ohio State football, and then he thew in the additional discomfort that comes from being a Michigan alumnus in that environment. But that is a parenthetical comment. The original point was to compare and contrast Orlando and Columbus where the Crew are not even ahead of college football whereas in Orlando, the soccer team is #1.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You left out the part where Meram said his comment about OSU was meant as a joke.

All those other comments above, to me are statements of fact, so I disagree he was throwing his club under the bus. He simply sounds like a straightforward guy.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This is his quote about OSU.

"In Columbus, it was Ohio State [first] and I was dying because I'm a Michigan [alumnus], and thank God I'm out of that."

So sure he was kidding about "thank God I'm out of that". That is just college rivalry stuff.

But his "thesis statement", as represented in the article, is that there are markets that are "holding back MLS". Then he went on to describe the traits of the "good" markets that are not holding MLS back, and Columbus is so clearly not one of them:

"Training facilities, stadium, fans, just kind of the whole package. You're seeing in Atlanta, LAFC, Portland, Seattle, here in Orlando, Kansas City, they're doing it right."

If you look beyond the little joke about college rivalry with Ohio State and "thank God I'm out of that", he is calling out Columbus as a market where college football rules the roost. That, in clear contrast to Orlando, where, according to him, soccer ranks even above NBA.

Sure, those are all "facts", but I don't think it's the right time to be talking about these "facts" when it makes it all that much easier to rationalize a team moving to a new market, which the club feels it needs to do in order to be in a place that is not "holding MLS back".

We heard all those same kinds of arguments when we were relocated. Welp, it just can't be done in San Jose. San Jose State is being so mean and unreasonable to us, the city won't support the team, we tried but we just can't build a stadium there, and there is so much competition for sports eyeballs, etc. Oh well, guess we have no choice but to move to Houston! I remember a few former Quakes players like Pat Onstad parroting those arguments, and I'll never forget that.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The fetish over the quality of training facilities is especially ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the quality (or profitability) of an MLS market.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, i just don’t see a couple of players expressing their understanding of a business decision is the same as throwing a club under the bus.

Of course, the timing could be better. But really, the owners and MLS are not making these decisions based on player input. It is really up to the paying fans to fight for themselves.

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fixed your post. :)

their royal heilnesses.jpg

20. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, talk about an out of context photo... They look like they are doing a game or dance of some kind...

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought it was common knowledge that King Edward was a Nazi sympathizer? He didn't hurt anyone himself, but it was nonetheless not a good luck.

My point is that it is not a good luck for Justin Meram to be commenting on supposedly under-performing markets when Crew fans are trying to save their team, what with him being a former member of the club.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly.

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Also, Henry Ford was a Nazi sympathizer, as were many big business wankers here in the USofA.

OK, before I go waxing all political here ... Do we think that the Crew are screwed and will be sold down the river (so to speak) to Austin? That would suck.

Go Quakes!!
    Stay Crew!!

- Mark

bsman repped this.
  25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes