#SavetheCrew

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by don gagliardi, Oct 18, 2017.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And acknowledge the existence of San Jose?

davez and markmcf8 repped this.
  3. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reading Robert Andrew Powell's book, "This Love is Not for Cowards: Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juárez". I am afraid, as with Juarez Indios back then. the rest of the country pretends the Quakes don't exist. Wondo and Lenny seem to be the only things about the Quakes that have caught the general public's eye.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would love to see Gonzalo Higuain close out his career alongside his brother Federico in a few years in Columbus!

Save the crew!

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope this gets tied up in the courts until Precourt sickens of it and offloads the team...

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first hearing is not until Mar-2019.

I follow UCLA Professor Steven Banks on Twitter, and he just tweeted that the suit does not look promising because it would involve state jurisdiction over inter-state commerce. And it would affect so many other states, that the case would have to go to the Supreme Court. Where of course, the current majority would not rule in Ohio's favor.

Bottom line, a law suit is not going to #SaveTheCrew. All MLS fans need to carry the sword. I heard a great quote last week, along the lines of,
    • If you get to heaven and have no scars or wounds, didn't you find anything worth fighting for?

bsman repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One law professor?

Last I checked there were 9 Supreme Court justices.

The dormant Commerce Clause has no real friends. Conservatives hate the dormant Commerce Clause on general federalist principals. And Liberals dislike the clause because it impedes their efforts to circumvent federal foot-dragging on climate change. (Google the clause and you will see the people talking about avoiding it are primarily environmentalists looking for state regulations on interstate commerce).

Typically, the law is complicated, there are existing exceptions, and then there are those to be created to favor the interests du jour.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he makes all this legal beagle stuff accessible to me!

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you have links to an actual professorial analysis of the allegations, not simply a string of the professor's pithy tweets, I'm interested to read it.

I have read the complaint, and Paragraph 6 appears to be a veiled defense of the statute against a constitutional challenge under the dormant Commerce Clause:

"The statute is narrowly written . . . It applies only to owners whose teams use 'tax supported' facilities and accept 'financial assistance' from the state or a political subdivision, and it applies to in-state and out of-state moves alike."

We can discern from this that the Ohio AG's office was conscious of a potential attack on this basis during the drafting of the document.

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Don,
    Precourt recently made an announcement that the move to Austin would gain the city $400M of benefit over 20 years.

Do we have any way of knowing how much benefit San Jose reaps, or claims to reap, from the presence of the Quakes?

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes are priceless. Best thing about this place.

DotMPP, markmcf8 and bigdumbgod repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    With the lawsuit pending I think it's safe to say that the whole thing is in the precourt stage.

DotMPP, mjlee22 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything has a price

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #341 don gagliardi, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    bsman repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Absolutely. We're looking at where we want to retire, and although we love this area it just seems like it's only going to get more congested, more expensive, and ultimately less liveable.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have had 4 good friends move away in the last few months, for different reasons, but, all were homeowners who were able to sell and make a killing on their house. Makes leaving a lot easier!

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know. Our son is has not-too-subtly intimated that if we move we should allow him to move into our home, but of course it forms a not-inconsiderable portion of our retirement plans, so I don't know if that will be practical or not. It's a shame that a lot of young people who grew up here will likely never have the opportunity to buy a home unless their parents give or leave them property in the area. My daughter will shortly get her license in occupational therapy, and even though that is a pretty "hot" field right now, she understands that she is going to have to find somewhere else to ply her trade if she wishes to have a reasonable lifestyle. I don't understand how the current situation is sustainable, but frankly had you asked me the same thing 30 years ago my response would have been the same.... :thumbsdown:

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I could retire tomorrow by moving to Buffalo. The Quakes are a key reason I have not already. Not the only reason, but a key reason.

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, I wonder what another reason is??:D
    [​IMG]

DotMPP repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Darren Huckerby will come to my rescue! :)

Earthshaker repped this.
  22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
  23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sfyimby.org/

Supply of single family homes can't increase very much but we could substantially increase housing supply by building more density. The bay area is very suburban and not very dense. My friends from India, China, Europe and the East Coast metros don't think we are that crowded.

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  24. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of a story about portland. there was a previous wave of emigration of people from the bay area to portland in the 90's. Now all those ex-californians are complaining about the current wave of bay area emigrants arriving.