Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staying home on a sick days watching the Prize Movie with John Lanigan.

2. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished watching "Sunderland 'Til I Die." Ellis Short is right up there with J. Anthony Voldemort for Crap Owner of The Year 2017/2018.

hungariansteven repped this.
  3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Used to be this crusty old guy named Bill Kennedy who was a failed actor who did an afternoon movie show out of Detroit. Every old movie ever made, most of them lousy, didn't matter, not sure he noticed or cared.

West on for years and years. Bill probably worked for peanuts, the movies couldn't have cost much of anything, and the station needed cheap afternoon content.

Bill Kennedy Showtime. We shall not see the likes again.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a limited number of long-sleeve black authentic jerseys in the official team shop. If you can't stop in, call them (614) 447-4244. They can ship.

Thyy also have the new yellows in authentic.

I have no idea about replica situations for either.

5. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Nothing fills me with more nostalgia than the extinct beast known as Saturday Morning Cartoons. You didn't sleep in on Saturdays, oh hell no. Grab the milk, a box of cereal and a bowl. Plant self firmly in front of TV for the next four hours.

Ahh, such good times we shall never see the like of again.

The after school snack of choice was indeed, the fudge round with a glass of milk. You know, before I had to go deliver newspapers, which I had to collect the money for myself!!

6. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just started watching this. Enjoying it 1.5 episodes in.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but thank God he didn’t do something more severe, like kneel.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hunt's advantage though is that he can actually play. Not sucking does wonders for one's career.

jack sticker repped this.
  9. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Was actually just coming here to post that, given the Kareem Hunt signing by the Browns, I'm seriously reconsidering my willingness to support the Crew financially.

hangthadj repped this.
  10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL sucks.

MLSinSTL, ohiotiger, puttputtfc and 3 others repped this.
  11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to chime in on the whole National Anthem thing.
    (Not the kneeling part; I have an opinion on that too, but I'll save it.)
    What bugs me about the NA at sporting events is that the team (USNT) or teams (pro or college in the US) don't actually, well sing the anthem. When you watch the WC, for example, a vast majority of the fans of that nation are singing their anthem. You can hear it from the field mics. Most players are looking at the flag and singing in unison. I find it moving.
    For the USNT's, not so much. And for college and pro teams, even less.
    While I'm not advocating a NKorea type demagoguery, I find it disingenuous to criticize kneeling players for being unpatriotic when other players, and a large number of the fans, aren't singing, much less looking at the flag.
    (Well, so much for saving my opinion; however, that's only part of it.)

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Nearly all big events in Oz and New Zealand have (often rather poor) singers take the mic. South Africa, too. Argentina, even (though a band is there just as often). All samples taken from AFL and Super Rugby.

13. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree, but Nathan Peterman has an NFL job, despite him being the worst quarterback in nfl history.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think some of it could be attributed to an oversaturation. If the anthem was only for national team games, on holidays and special events, we might see more participation. Soccer, hockey and, to some extent, baseball have a lot of players from international backgrounds. When it's played before some random MLS or NHL game when a good portion of the players might not even be American-born, well... and then you get a random NHL or MLS game featuring Toronto vs Vancouver and O Canada isn't even done... I'd imagine it's done when the CBJ visit Toronto or when the Crew travel to Montreal, but when those teams visit the USA, it's probably a bit awkward for their players to wait through two anthems.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...every rule has an exception? *Shrug*

Part of it is has got to be Colin's refusal to take a backup position while suing the owners. Such an attitude cannot look good for the coaches/GMs.

17. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It's really pretty simple... Those other national anthems are easier to sing. The Star Spangled Banner, not so much.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...m-star-spangled-banner-hard/story?id=16756113

Oh, and the fact that many consider it racist doesn't help.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's a reasonable dilemma to have.

I mean we already knew coming into this situation that the Haslam's weren't exactly squeaky clean. We turned our heads and pretended that the Pilot/Flying J stuff never happened. Or we rationalized that we were happy to have Dee as the face of the ownership group instead of Jimmy. And some of us just decided that we would take all of that stuff as long as the owner wasn't Precourt.

Different people will deal with it in different ways. We are honestly a bit lucky to have Doctor Pete as part of the ownership group because the Haslam side has made me cringe since the rumors first started coming up.

19. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    By many you mean a couple liberal art profs.

Jaybir, Aaron d and CybrSlydr repped this.
  20. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not of fan of the Browns signing Hunt but to penalize the Crew and yourself (since your a fan) over a decision made by the General Manager of another team in another league because they share some overlap in ownership (who may or may not even have been involved in the decision) is an aggressive response.

What Hunt did was terrible, period. If it makes you want to question supporting the Browns I get it. If it makes you question the Haslams, I get it entirely. But stopping support of the Crew because of a decision that is layers & leagues away from the Crew as an organization, and that the Haslams themselves may have not even been involved in, seems over the top.

I am all for ethics in sports and supporting ethically conscientious businesses/teams. I have qualms with the Browns now, I think its a stretch to apply them to the Crew.

In short, Chelsea is right, the NFL is a mess.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

""All they're trying to do is get up there and show off," Dean said. "This piece will eat you if you approach it that way.""

PREACH. It should never, ever be about "oh look at me! I won 15 Grammys and have been nominated for Pop Album of the Year and my current hit is #1 on AT40.

It should always, always be about the song itself.

CybrSlydr, TomB and TKyle repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tread lightly, son.

23. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    I have to say it. I dont think what hunt did was that bad. Neither did the police. It was not domestic violence and she initiated the altercation. In short "bitch had it comin."

As for this Flying J thing. Jimmy was probably willfully ignorant. But I bet this shit happens more then we realize. I was a debt collector at Sallie ********in Mae so will not be throwing the first stone. Here is a good articke.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-scandal-update-jimmy-haslam-cleveland-browns

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This is why no one likes you.

25. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Who else would know about a verse in the anthem that has not been used well ever. Or much less care. And the verse refers spacfically to former slaves that enlisted in the British army. By definition treason. I understand why they did it but in the end only nerds know this.