Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I wasn't clear, I meant that I'm glad I don't have to deal with a wedding (or marriage in general).

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This bachelor raises his gin in agreement. Now you're talking my language.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are smart they will just make the whole helicopter thing true and then have a scene where they deny it after rushing off the chopper.

Seriously though this entire thing needs to be a book, a movie, and a documentary. If MLS doesn't agree to it they are just throwing away money and the chance to make their own sports blockbuster.

jack sticker and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to that rally was something I'm still glad I did. Seeing so many other Crew fans and the fledgling steps of the #SaveTheCrew movement... If only I knew then what I knew now.

5. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I would want the MLS state-sanctioned version of the story, where Don Garber is the hero who, although publicly has to act like he supports Precourt, secretly helps a ragtag bunch of precocious street urchins convince a kindly billionaire couple to save their favorite soccer team. Of course, it couldn't be worse than this.

p10871764_v_v8_aa.jpg

6. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want them to have creative control...just approve the project for development. Maybe make Garber a nicer character along with some of the other owners but then focus on the fans and whatnot.

Edit: I just looked up how much money United Passions made. Opening weekend in the US it made....$918. Not million or thousand, just nine hundred and eighteen dollars. Wow.

hungariansteven repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13207 Bill Archer, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Worst movie ever. Sepp Blatter had FIFA finance the whole thing, which was literally a celebration of how Sepp is the greatest man in the history of the world

Simply unwatchable

Not like "Victory" unwatchable but run from the room screaming make it stop wretched

If you ha e a couple minutes Google it and read some of the reviews. Hilarious.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, to put it in less polite terms, weddings make girls hot to trot. Bridesmaids most of all. They can't wait to see that seafoam taffeta and chiffon monstrosity hit some guy's hotel room floor.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    State College was much the same way when I was in school. It took the Blizzard of 78 to shut things down (a foot on Thursday and two feet on Friday--on a 2-3 foot base). Still folks who worked at the university but lived outside of town usually had arrangements with a friend who lived in town to stay over, just in case (like my work-study boss).

Funny thing was, they did get shut down later that year for a week due to the coal strike (I was unaffected as I was in Cologne on our Study Abroad program).

If you are in the snow belt, you need that kind of equipment. Here? Less so. In Atlanta, where my brother and sister live, they get paralyzed by a snowflake--but truth is it would be unwise to make any investment even half that of Columbus. You just ride it out.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You will not regret, however, keeping it as simple as you can--if you can. Simple can be quite elegant. We were married at Worthington Pres--just used candles in the window and one big candle as New England architecture is very elegant [of course we did have some flowers--boutonnieres for the guys and corsages for the gals and a bouquet for Mrs KG]. There was a thrift shop in town that sold extra dresses and gowns from wedding and prom stores--$20 plus some fitting (and this was Mrs KG's idea) for all the bridesmaids.

GoCrew1996 repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping to catch a little of this this year as my niece's graduation from RIT is during their Lilac Festival. Made hotels a pain, though.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  12. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd love to see this created and then hosted directly on Netflix. Would be a much better avenue for it then in actual movie theatres.

I know who could play the role of Dan Courtemanche

[​IMG]

russ, Tobias C, jack sticker and 3 others repped this.
  13. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Catch up response post:

Growing up in Toledo and then moving down to Columbus the snow removal was a shock. I had had no idea Toledo was so good at clearing it out. They just knew what to do and I only appreciated it after observing Columbus' cute little efforts to do the same.

I went to the rally as well. By myself even. So glad I did. I had some fun starting up the hissing. Hahaha.

Tobias C, Ch(Elsey), Flyer Fan and 2 others repped this.
  14. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Minnman, russ, Tobias C and 22 others repped this.
  15. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Sad but true (adds in a headbang or two).

west ham sandwich and CybrSlydr repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, if you didn't know better you'd swear he was the owner of a sports team that he hopes people will pay to see instead of the owner of a team he hopes to discourage people from giving a shit about so he has an excuse to move them to Texas.

17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys live in a different world. Or maybe I do.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Pretty sure it's the second.

russ, jack sticker and LainfordExpress repped this.
  19. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I also read an article on the Browns ownership with the Haslams....some of it wasn't good, but Dee actually shined pretty well in it.

I particularly liked this:
    "Dee told staffers to cut sponsorship prices because she didn't want to be seen by business partners as greedy when the on-field product was a disaster. It didn't go over well with the sales staff, however, which in recent years had taken pride in moving the Browns from near the bottom in league revenue to the top half."

1. Dee realized that if the product wasn't that great, that the sponsorship values might change. She didn't demand more money or blame the sponsors. She instead didn't want to offend her business partners.

2. Their sponsorship reps increased league revenue to the top half, despite being a smaller media market with a failing product on the field. They seem to have been actually good at their jobs.

I'm so excited to have Dee on board.

20. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if people ever look at it but Dicks Sporting Goods tracks jersey sales over the season. The Browns are consistently in the top 10 and are #5 this year. Say what you want about the on-field product over the last few years but they have made what was considered to be the least profitable team in the NFL into one of the top teams. That gives me hope we will not face the issues we have over the last 18 months ever again.

http://www.dsg.com/jerseyreport/football

Ch(Elsey) and zman31 repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure that we will see a lot of this type of thing. It's called smart business. We're not used to seeing it over at 1 Black & Gold, and I think it will be eye opening.

It's possible to be fair with your vendors and treat your business partners and your customers with respect instead of condescension, and in the long run it pays rich dividends.

We all talk about how the previous regime drove the thing into a ditch, but the full depth and breadth of the disaster was truly frightening, and it's becoming more and more apparent almost daily as the Crew emerges from the debris.

MLSinCleveland and hungariansteven repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Growing up in an adjacent suburb to Buffalo, following a snow storm you could spot the city border line by whether the major road bisecting it was plowed or not. The City of Buffalo was notoriously slow to respond and my burb was rigorously efficient. At a certain point, the city border, the clean pavement was suddenly and dramatically obscured by a snow drift.

Also, listening to the radio the morning after a significant snowfall to hear which schools were closed that day, invariably the city schools would be closed while my town's schools almost never were. As a kid hoping for an impromptu day off, it always pissed me off. :)

TheUltra and Bill Archer repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can also be true in Columbus as well, for example Columbus vs Westerville. To be fair, Columbus is so large area-wise that they really do have a challenge.

Main streets are usually not bad. Backstreets? Forget about it.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Akron vs. Not Akron is always a very stark line.

25. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Victory" unwatchable? That was my favorite sports movie as a kid. I spent a whole summer in the backyard trying to master Ossie Ardiles' rainbow flick.

It's not an Oscar-worthy film? No. There is plenty of cheese in there. But I still love it.