Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Does it come with a tricycle?

jack sticker and Draghignazzo repped this.
  2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't, but that's mostly because I've been spending a lot of time today exchanging e-mail messages and other information with a long-lost relative I didn't know about who, get this, just won a lottery!

MLSinSTL, ohiotiger, russ and 2 others repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    no wai!

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another theory re: the Condoleezza Rice news is that Browns GM John Dorsey suspected someone of leaking info and fed the suspected leaker this info as a way to catch him in the act.

By the way, how do we know she wasn't there to interview for the Crew HC job? :D

stanger repped this.
  6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'll take Rice over Sarachan at this point but that's a different thread.

7. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so, beginning of NWSL in Columbus?

JB-CBUS221, TrueCrew and stanger repped this.
  8. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018

9. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
  10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4410 Bill Archer, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    So FWIW I think a number of related pins are going to drop - indeed have to drop - soon and in rapid succession.

Plainly, with these ludicrous freindlies on the schedule, USSF couldn't announce Berhalter until after the second one, which is tomorrow. Cant annoubce a new coach with a camp going on.

So the first chance they have to announce a new coach is (considering the holiday) next Monday.

Which will obviously leave Columbus leaderless. No effective front office operation, no field staff, and the expansion list due in roughly two weeks.

Then theres the need to retain or release players and prepare for the re entry draft. Last year the two phases of rentry were December 15 and December 21, followed closely by the combine in Orlando on, IIRC Jan 8-10 and the superdraft in Chicago on the 11th.

(I may be a day or two off but the principle is the same)

And that leaves aside the fact that Christmas is a month away and theyd like to be selling merchandise and ticket packages. Its money.

Point being that very very soon the team is going to need leadership, direction and focus. A couple lame duck assistant coa hes who are undoubtedly already madly. circulating their resumes will not suffice.

But in order for anything positive to happen, the team needs to be transferred to new owners. Yesterday would not have been too soon.

There is a real crunch coming, and Im certain its a big part of the frustration Haslem/Edwards are reportedly feeling. Its not just that they want to get going, they desperately need to get going.

And honestly, although Im the first one to dump a truck of crap on rank speculation that gets posited without a shred of evidence, I dont believe for one minute that they arent already actively working on hiring a new head coach.

Indeed, it would not be shocking to learn that they already have a handshake deal with someone.

11. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm looking forward to the @hangthadj coaching era.

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s probably already started a thread to fire himself.

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    There is some valid concern, but it's not that bad. Granted, the current forsaken state of the Crew is troublesome.

As for the future, the biggest issue is the lack of ticket sales to new season ticket holders. There are numerous people that have made a pledge to Save the Crew to buy tickets from the new owners, so hopefully once the team changes hands, enough of these pledges are fulfilled. Now, whether these sales are tied to Christmas is another question.

Next up... Merchandise sales. Missing Christmas is a missed opportunity.

Columbus is exempt from the expansion draft since they lost Raitala to LAFC last year.

The re-entry draft is the first real missed opportunity. Last year, a grand total of 5 players were selected across the league. Doesn't seem like missing this will be a huge problem.

If the sale hasn't closed by the time the of the Super Draft in January, that would be a problem, but I would be worried more about whether the Crew will be playing than the quality of play.

As for players, there is an international transfer window starting in February that runs through May where the Crew can add players.

NUFC Fan repped this.
  14. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Well, it's no lie to note Greg Andrulis has more trophies than Sedley so far.

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt want to get too detailed but since you think this shit doesnt matter, go do some research on:

Nov 26: MLS option exercise deadline.

This is the contract- critical "bona fide offer" window as well as the date when teams must declare whose options they are exercising.

Dec 9: the half day MLS trading window which is the first time, after the current four month roster freeze, when roster adjustments can be made

Dec 11 expansion draft which, despite your ignorant assumptions, is an opportunity to trade for players from teams who dont want them exposed and would like to get something for them

Dec 11 : MLS free agency period begins for out of contract and contract decline players who meet the age and years of service criteria.

Dec 12: waiver draft

December 14: re entry draft stage 1

Dec. 22: re entry draft stage 2, which gives teams the opportunity to re sign players not chosen in phase 1 and some other shit.

But yeah, I guess youre right. The Crew can just ignore all of that nonsense because none of it matters anyway.

Right?

Dr.Fever, jacklivesmatter and MLSinSTL repped this.
  16. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It's not optimal, and it may set the team back a bit, but if Berhalter chooses to leave, the Crew are probably in for a transitional season under a new coach regardless of when the sale closes. Even if that coach was named tomorrow, he'll still probably spend the first half of the season figuring out personnel.

My only point is that until the sale closes, there is an existential threat to the team that far outweighs a poor start to the season.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one fell for it, just posted it as a piece of . . . interest.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of ownership, contract options, trades, lacking a coach/gm, and such.

Agree with Bill to a degree. Things need to happen quickly and it will hurt us if it does not. Would be shocked it there are not coach/td/gm searches/agreements going on right now.

Still, compared to what we have gone through, those are bumps in the road. And better days are ahead if Haslam is on the ATL/Smith model.

Let's get this baby over the finish line first.

JB-CBUS221 repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Clickbait. Yay.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There are few things that turn me on more than accountability.

21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have said this before but this offseason is a rare moment in time when if captured has the ability to vault this time much further up the consciousness of the people of Ohio. Like any sports team we know the number one predictor of success in the stands is success on the field. The die hard fans will understand the coach leaving and the timeline for roster re-building was tight but if this team comes out next year with pretty much the same team but doesn't perform well then that is such a missed opportunity. Keeping in mind that a new coach will have a new system who several of the current players are unlikely to naturally fit into.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  22. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It's very much this. It's a chance to change the relationship between the Crew and with community. Heal old wounds. Start over. I don't think what happens on the field, at least in the near term, is anywhere near as important as what happens off the field.

New owners, probably new coach. Hopefully, they will create an excitement around the team. Engage the fan base. They need to start with a big celebration right after the sale is announced. Let everyone know that things are different. Build upon what Save the Crew has done.

Then they need to improve on the game day experience. Promotions, maybe the Nordecke marching into the stadium together. Autographs after the game. Make game day a spectacle.

You just need to give a new coach time to put his team together.

23. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you are saying is that the Crew should sign Pulisic.

RafaLarios, Tobias C, SLSHOT01 and 4 others repped this.
  24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Exactly !

Anyways maybe GB being at USA can still be the the sporting director for the crew until we find a new one. The sporting director job may be different than the head coach as we have no clue what will happen once the sale is officially completed

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been tried before and it's entirely on the leadership of the Nordecke. Lots of people would rather have one more beer at 6:45 and complain about lines at the gates vs wrapping things up at 6:15 and getting in early.

IMO, this would work, but they need to bring back the Nordecke happy hour. People won't leave their tailgate beers at 6:15 in order to get to get $10 beers.