Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Ola wanted more money and PSV wouldn't pay. Zardes had a good year in LA then was sent to the wing/bench to make way for the Galaxy DP train. When the deal went down most people thought we were getting screwed. Both sides made out fine. Ola had 14 goals this year Zardes has 20 including his playoff goal. When you add in LA's playoff goals this year, Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

2. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Right now PSV's "potential top five in sponsors" is as real as the 2019 season ticket pledge so many of us signed. There's a bit of distance to realize that potential.

TyphonInc repped this.
  3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not true. I believe the ticket pledge will yield some sales and there are actual people who signed it. PSV's claims, without naming anyone who wants to be a sponsor, fits a long line of business metrics, parallel paths and behind the scenes interests. Those of us in real world call that bullshit which is the only thing consistent from PSV.

4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    RafaLarios, catfish9, TKyle and 11 others repped this.
  6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't agree that the ticket pledge's potential seems more likely to be realized. I guess, really, I inadvertently flattered PSV with the comparison.

JB-CBUS221 repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is rare. True, in this case, but rare.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I doubt Precourt has ever actualized potential.

JB-CBUS221 and jack sticker repped this.
  9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm sure not all 12K who signed the pledge will buy tickets. I know that most of those people actually exist which is more than I can say for anything PSV claims.

Robbo Crewfan, Flyer Fan and stanger repped this.
  10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Keep Austin weird indeed. Apparently Epstein's proposal is similar to IndyAustin's. But he doesn't want to be associated with them because they had an anti-Adler ad last week which included Pepe the frog. Pepe is commonly used by alt-right types and the firmly liberal folks at IndyAustin thought it was a pea smoking a cigarette in their ad of Pepe under a walnut shell. So Adler naturally accused them of anti-Semitism and Epstein disassociated himself from them but not their cause.

11. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    I forgive you.

hungariansteven repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3812 Bill Archer, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    So it's basically bullshit.

I'm totally confused now. There was a piece in the Austin Chronicle a couple days ago about how the paid IndyAustin signature gatherers were being pulled off the streets because Epstein was pulling his money over this silliness. They even reported on a media conference where Epstein and Adler appeared together and made a firm, courageous public stand against nonsense which no one for a second believes was meant as some kind of anti-Semitic hate crime.

Then the head of IndyAustin said that while they would no longer be paying for signatures, there would still be volunteers out working the streets.

Yet now there are Epstein-paid signature gatherers on the streets supposedly lying to people about what the petition is about, which is reported by none other than Kevin Littlefield who is a) Adler's close personal freind b) Adler's paid political consultant and c) a paid, registered lobbyist for PSV. Gosh, none of that makes one the least suspicious, does it?

The more I learn about how insane Austin is,the more convinced I am that they absolutely deserve that little bitch Precourt. Perfect fit.

13. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    catfish9 and Bill Archer repped this.
  14. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too, but not enough to pay for it. :mad:

15. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re the Austin drama: It must be so frustrating for fans that want an MLS team to have lies thrown around their city that might result in them not having a team.

Man, I can't imagine what they and PSV are going through.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I can clear up the confusion about the petitions. Epstein has a separate petition going to stop McKalla. It doesn't include the parts about needing a council supermajority to approve building permits, etc.

He hired professional signature gatherers and apparently as taped by Littlefield, they lie shamelessly to get people to sign. Because they are likely paid by the signature. Same reason groups like ACORN ended up with Fred Flintstone type names.

IndyAustin will miss Epstein's money so they are going back to volunteers. It takes 20K valid signatures for either measure to make the ballot. Both of them should still be able to get on the ballot. But they'll end up competing with each other and making things easier for PSV.

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    So PSV's paid, lying astroturfers are being outpaid, outlied and outastroturfed by Epstein's paid, lying astroturfers.

I love MLS business metrics.

TyphonInc, TKyle, Draghignazzo and 3 others repped this.
  18. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OR perhaps, both get on ballot, one is outrageous and/or confusing (IndyAustin) the other seems more reasonable and gets the votes (Epstein) - pipe dream. Regardless it is refreshing to see Adler and the Dorkster6 have to be at least a little distracted by these opposing sides and have to deal with it.

Oh and I don't believe for one minute that PSV has lined up a top 5 in league sponsorship group. But then again look what that hospital in Cincy paid for their jersey deal. Some companies are suckers & make bad deals. And their are the Herbalife, Advocare, & LiveStrong deals out there.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing how often Doyle Lonegan has come up recently

[​IMG]

Doyle, I KNOW I gave him four THREES. He had to make a SWITCH. We can't let him get away with that.

What was I supposed to do - call him for cheating better than me?

Or, in the words of Henry Gondorff:

Tough luck, Lonnehan. But that's what you get for playing with your head up your ass!

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Someone will have to show this movie at the next tAAAilgate.

redi44crew, Big J 0526 and Bill Archer repped this.
  22. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Whoever suggested the podcast “American Fiasco”, thank you. I was around 11 or 12 when the 98 World Cup went down so most of that stuff I’d either never heard about or would have completely went over my head.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  23. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a absolute classic.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one confuses me.

You say "by the end of the year" which would seem to give a late December deadline, but then invoke a decision being finalized "no later than" the BoG meeting in December.

(The BoG consists of one team - one vote, rather than an "owners meeting" which usually decides nothing but to which everyone with a stake can attend)

But the BoG meets every December on the day before MLS Cup, which would make it Friday December 7 (AKA Pearl Harbor Day).

This would mean that a final deal is exactly 30 days away, which is not "the end of the year"

MLSinSTL repped this.
  25. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they are saying that the deal will get MLS approval at the board meeting and the papers will be signed by the end of December. Seems like the wording is wrong though.

Bill Archer repped this.