Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he actually posted this to his FB page at the beginning of the month :)

BabyH2.JPG

cam5fc repped this.
  2. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

Draghignazzo repped this.
  3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
  4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the one commenter mentions how this proves Vermes is a smart coach. This guy basically IS Andy Gruenebaum. Serves as backup for multiple keepers. Keeps quiet and waits his turn. I just feel bad for Andy now because it is like the rug is pulled from under him.

Vermes is such a ********ing asshole. If I were AG I would refuse to sign and retire, come back to Cbus and be our GK coach. ******** Vermes, the douchenozzle.

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...m-doesnt-expect-anything-be-handed-me-sportin

I don't see how he had an impression that he was the starter. Vermes is a dick, but this move isn't part of what makes him that. Andy's got to earn it. My best to him on that.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh I just think he has already earned it. I hate to see him go into a situation like that and almost immediately have the head coach declare that the guy who had been the backup would be the number one, despite them trading for the number one from another team.

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but argument can be made that Andy wasn't guaranteed our #1 spot either with Lampson competing for the spot.

8. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Really? Here I thought Andy Gruenebaum was responsible for making his own decisions about where to sign. He is a professional, this isn't some gravy train job he has. If he wants it, he's going to have to fight for it like everyone else.

9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I am sure a professional soccer player, before making a decision, would find out whether they are going to be a starter or not, and what the expecttion is.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they'd *try*. But most coaches keep this close to the vest. And many change their minds--or have their minds changed for them. One thing I do know about the pros. There are *no* guarentees. This isn't college. It's cutthroat. In any league.

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    yes, this isn't college soccer, this is a cut throat sport where the players hold the power

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps that is true in the UK. I don't think it's true here. Especially given the control teams have over the MLS rights to a player even after their contracts run out. But I don't know many leagues where a player can demand to start. They can demand a transfer, perhaps. They might even be able to get a coach fired. But demand to start? I'd not put up with that as a coach. Few would. And if you think players hold the power in MLS, just look at the CBA.

13. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand all of your points, and I get it that the coach makes the decisions, I just have a soft spot for the Hammer and I hate to see him have to fight to get out front again after being number 2 for so long here is all.

14. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    and that is my point. a coaches contract does not seem to be worth the paper it is written on, but a players contract always runs it's course. Once a plyer is signed there is not much you can do to get rid of them. Sure, you can drop them to the reserves etc, or try and get rid of the them through trade or sale, but ulitmately if a player does not want to leave, then they don't. therefore the coach has to be very careful before messing a player around. especially as the person paying the bills will want to know why.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an emotional point of view, I agree as well. But reality is somewhat different.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not quite sure what you are arguing here. MLS does have the guarenteed contract that many leagues do not have. But that does not guarentee a player to start. And teams seem to have no problem getting rid of players in this league. Can't say I've heard of a case like you've described--but we've sure seen a lot of surprising trades and cuts recently--not just in our own side--which would seem to indicate otherwise. We sure didn't have any trouble getting rid of Sanchez, among others. You do have to be careful with a DP--if only for the cap hit. But Andy's hardly a DP.

17. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally know where you're coming from. Andy seems to be a really great guy and I honestly wish him all the success (minus 3 times) a year. That said, I also understand that his competitive nature will also view this as an opportunity to grow. It's the journey that counts, not what is handed to us. And he'll be better for it.

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    You seem to know a lot about contracts and trades I am surprised you do not know specifics of deals and enlighten us all in the discussions between players and who is hiring them. Or maybe you are just being contradictory for fun? Otherwise my point still stands. I would not take a job unless I knew my exact role. I am sure soccer players are exactly the same when they make potentially life changing decisions as this is their *livelihood*, you know, what puts food on the table etc. Of course I am sure you have insight into the exact conversation that took place. So let us know.

19. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Andy's role either here in Columbus or in KC was going to be ambiguous. Lampson was starting even with Andy healthy in September/October, so his starting position here wasn't a guarantee either. While I think Andy had some quality stuff, he did struggle with consistency at times. And as a GK, if you struggle with that, your hold as a bonafide starter is tenuous.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I am not being contrary for fun. But your example doesn't fly in sports. Even in real life the job often changes from what was promised. Sometimes before the first paycheck. There are no guarantees in this life. And I do know a few former players and have spoken with them as well as some coaches and front office types (*not* Bob, BTW). But I'm not going to get into who is more Crewish (not all of those I mentioned were Crew, either). Your last comment is a non-starter--unless you can do what you asked of me. I doubt you can, unless you are Andy's brother. Or have a bug in Vermes' office. But any coach who guarantees a player a position or role is a fool. Or a liar. Or both. You simply cannot coach that way. I sure didn't manage my team for 20 years that way--with one exception. Myself. And even there, the way the game went would change that too from time to time. Ditto when I coached youth soccer.

21. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    It's true. I think it's simply part of his DNA. We all have flaws.

22. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    It's all about expectations. He asked vermes what his role would be, what the expectation of starting over back up. it's not really that difficult - for example.

Obviously things can change - injuries, form, etc, but i would probably get a good idea from the salary offered too. 250k - I think I might get some minutes 65k - maybe I am a backup. Just stands to reason that this is a career - I would have thought I would like to have a good idea of what my

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about. It seems to me that a coach should get to decide for himself which one of his keepers is the number one guy.

cam5fc repped this.
  24. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    the only issue I have is that some people start saying things as fact without any knowledge at all - and no possible acceptance that there *might* be other viewpoints that are equally *right*. Iespecially do not like certain people saying things like "Perhaps that is true in the UK" - when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I should know better to be honest.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek: As they used to say on the old rec.sport.football.college--"Pot, Kettle, Black". You've been doing the same thing you are accusing others of.
    Do we know this for a *fact*? If not you are doing exactly what you are complaing about. If Vermes did do that and then went back on his word, I don't think it's particularly bright. But it is his decision as a coach. And it happens in real life.

I will also point out that while considering other viewpoints is part and parcel of a debate, the concept of "other viewpoints that are equally right" is flawed logically in many cases. A door cannot be both open and shut at the same time, for example--unless you are Schroedinger's cat. You've also spent enough time through the years trying to convince me that *I'm* wrong on any number of topics to indicate that you don't *really* believe that "other viewpoints ... are equally right"--unless that "other viewpoint" is your own.

Lastly, my comment "perhaps that is true in the UK" is merely noting that I am not an expert on UK football and do not claim to be and I defer to the point that you likely know more about that than I do.