Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will. They are motivated by something completely different than our organization.

Results.

HardHatMike and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Robbo Crewfan and chr1st repped this.
  4. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the comments at the end of the article. You just don't get it. The Szetela signing is just one of the first steps in building the new Cosmos into a world soccer power.

5. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
  6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear to God if they signed someone's cocker spaniel those geeks would go insane over how this was just the move they needed to put them into the first rank of world football.

What the hell do they drink out there?

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come to this thread quite a bit late in the season and without having read all 500+ posts.

Please forgive the source, but I was surprised to see Duka get traded as he was always one of my top performers in Football Manager. Always stuck him up front on the left as an AM.

Granted, Oduro has been a good get for us with is production and his ability to get forward fast - but how are we feeling about losing Duka? This is my first season of paying attention to the Crew, so I don't know how he performed prior to this season and he was gone before I started coming to the games.

9. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the general consensus is that he was not meeting his aforementioned video game projections and that nobody was really sad to see him go.

Personally, I'm very happy with the way things have turned out. Oduro has a great attitude, is scoring goals, and wants to be here.

10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know there isn't much buyer's remorse. Even if he did produce in his game against us with the Fire... lol

11. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Duka had potential but never lived up to it. He was injured early in 2012 when he was expected to have a breakout year. Many posters also wanted to see him in more of a CM role. I think his downfall at Columbus was his attitude - he seemed to hate being here.

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    We have a couple very similar players in Speas and Ethan to Duka. A part of it may be due to McGee but Duka seems like he's finally starting to live up to his potential after a rough start in Chicago. I don't think that would have happened had he stayed here; I do have some fear that the aforementioned players are perhaps being Dukaed.

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be the Duka+Robbie Rights for Oduro was a rare win-win trade. Chicago parlayed Robbie into Mike McGee. Duka had a good June. Essentially neither side "lost" the trade

14. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duka also complained in the press about not getting playing time his Rookie year, and also their were rumors that his Parents Called the FO on why he was not getting any playing time.

I will say his attitude might have to do with RW, there are tons of players that RW has rubbed the wrong way, Balchan, Grossman, Aaron Horton, Julius James, Nemanja Vukovic and the even the Great Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could make a list as long for Sigi, really (Busch being one). And how many of these guys are still playing at a high level? Sigi would not have put up with Duka's attitude either if the reports/rumors you noted are accurate (and I think they are). Part of it is pampered players in our (US) youth system. Duka wasn't the first (Adu, anyone) and won't be the last.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Don't forget LA, the only tolerant place on Earth.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LA flipped Mike Magee ( 16 goals and 6 assist in last 40 appearances) + International spot for 2 seasons for Robbie Rogers, Pablo Mastroeni, and rights to Baggio Husidic.

By trading Magee (2ooK salary) they opened up a monies to trade for Mastoeni. That is a really poor trade for LA.

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie Rogers had an assist last night for LA.

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone in the MLS:Commissioner forum, which I have to deal with more often now that I'm moderating it, pointed out something: The NASL Cosmos played 14 seasons. The original MLS teams have now played 18.

That's right -- MLS has outlasted the Cosmos.

Crew >> Cosmos.

20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Don't the Cosmos have like 3 ex-Crew Players?

21. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a deflection off the corner flag, I heard...

22. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope though that any coach would find this absurd and land you in the doghouse your rookie season too.

Duka I see as a very talented guy who has to have the right system and the a star player to work with. Magee maybe that guy and Klopas might provide that system. But you get him outside of that particular system and I don't see him shining.

23. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy Football Manager, and have wasted too many hours of my life doing so. But be wary of projecting FM player potentials into real life.

A few years/versions back, I (and I remember someone else on here) was able to train Griffit into a monster wing. Knox Cameron was able to be groomed into a solid, MLS all-star target forward. And acquiring Nik Basagno as a youngster became one of the keys to bring the Crew a whole case full of silverware...

24. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding... once I managed several years in the '06 or '07 version of the game. I picked up this kid in my '2012' season and he was gang busters! MVP, golden boot... all that shit. So 2012 rolls around in real life and the Crew didn't pick up this fictional kid... I was pissed! :cool:

25. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't fictional, just the crazy estimation of his potential (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolas_Besagno).

Depending upon the year/version of FM, his potential rating for a few years there was better than the likes of Dempsey, Altidore, Feilhaber, etc. Once you figured this out, you could get him early on fairly cheap, and groom him into the American Maradona. Which taught me to be wary of trusting FM's potential ratings on youngsters (especially American youngsters) for "real life" value. Otherwise, you might spend something of value on guys who are languishing in the PDL as a 24 year old player-coach... though I suppose that if there was some nugget of truth in his potential, the Crew wouldn't have much to lose by inviting him for a tryout. ;)