Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking fiendishly evil.

eboe repped this.
  2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, I have no problem if Philly want to hire him. In fact, if any Easter Conference rivals want to take him on, I encourage them.

3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Newells Old Boys have caught Lanus at 22 points; River Plate are two points back from them. Lanus still hasn't lost so they remain the only undefeated team in the league.

4. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really follow much South American footy. Are they saying down there that Lanus' success is becuase of GBS, are they buying better players or is it a combo?

5. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Obviously they've (Lanus) found something they do well and are sticking with that until it no longer appears to be done well, then they'll attempt something else. Coaching 101, bro.

JB the First, ZipSix and scornflakes repped this.
  6. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I'm sure someone like @EL MONO MARIO could give you a better take but from what I've read GBS is getting a fair amount of the credit.

7. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he still at George Mason, which is in Fairfax County in Northern VA?

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Maybe he's plotting to take over for Benji :alien:

9. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The kids saw Rogers training privately with two trainers at UC Irvine a couple days ago. Somethings up. I was told third hand that if he returned the choices were Galaxy and Seattle ANd Columbus.

IvanIV repped this.
  10. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Well it won't be here; Chicago might gift him to one of those other teams but they aren't giving him back to us for nothing and we aren't going to offer much to get him back.

11. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sad but true.

12. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough. Especially given given the fact that we clearly won the trade that his rights were included in.

13. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
  14. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
  15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    This is all I will say on this "huge" news item. Jason Collins is not the first "Major League" sportsman to come out. I have even heard it said he is the first player in one of the big american sports - something like that.

That is all.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    A number of women's athletes are publicly gay and several former players in various men's sports. Not sure what the big deal is. Seems like more of a media obsession than anything else.

17. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a big deal because of the macho nature of men's team sports. He is the first active player in a major team sport to come out publicly. Trust me, it is a big deal for gay athletes and gay men in general. It is not a media contrivance at all.

It was just a few months ago that Robbie Rogers said he didn't think he could keep playing after coming out and now we have someone who plays in the NBA come out without being forced. Granted he is not a superstar by any means, but he is fighting for a contract. One of the things about Collins coming out later in his career is that it dispenses with the "I wouldn't be comfortable taking a shower in front of a gay teammate," Well, guess what - those teammates have been showering with Jason Collins for the last 13 years in the NBA and they are none the worse the wear for it - they just didn't know it at the time.

I think Robbie Rogers will come back to MLS sooner rather than later, and Collins coming out could have something to do with that.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ason-collins-david-testo-robbie-rogers-042913

19. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else find the "scramble" to sign Rogers a little funny? The guy did absolutely nothing in MLS after two good years, flamed out in the English third division, has been out of soccer for almost a year, and now he's a great player that everyone wants to sign? A few months ago, he was just an add-on in a trade for Dominic Oduro.

Jake Folan repped this.
  20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I missed it. Are their teams fighting over him?

21. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read through the awful thread in N&A about Robbie and saw that Seattle is interested and Klopas said they would like to have him in Chicago, too.

22. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure they all see the publicity Jason Collins and the Wizards got, but this is not the NBA. For them it is probably more about selling tickets and getting their brand on TV than how they value him as a player. Plus Collins was not even really the first athlete to come out that was still playing anyway was he? I seem to remember a thread on here around Robbie's annpuncement that mentioned a soccer player in England that has since passed away who was out and playing years ago.

23. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    1. They have his rights and what average MLS level talent wouldn't help Chicago at this point.
    2. He'd be a backup in LA right now and he's from there so they might get him to sign a contract favorable to them. It's also Arena and he thinks he can fix anyone.
    3. Sigi is the last coach he played well for; seems reasonable he'd give it a go.

These are the teams I've heard if there are other feel free to add them.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't care less. He goes where he goes. His addition will make another MLS team worse, so I'm cool with whatever.

Jake Folan repped this.
  25. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. Robbie is probably feeling like he's in a second skin right now. No one denies he has talent, just that he has been unable to consistently harness it and is maddeningly inconsistent because of the raw talent that we have all seen.

He could still flourish* under this momentum of being 'unburdened' and perhaps have anew dedication and focus to the sport that allows him to realize his potential and not be another bright flame that burned too quickly.

/armchair psychoanalysis

* This premise presupposes that the mill know as the Columbus Crew where young promising soccer talents are ground to blunt edges and not properly honed has not damaged tRR.com beyond repair.

eboe repped this.