Save a Piece of Crew History

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm appealing to the Crew faithful for someone to step up and save something I think is worth saving.

Several years ago there was a guy named Bill Persing, who was a professor of Meteorology out west someplace. He had a website where he worked on and posted stuff which he found interesting, most of which was unrelated to anything much except his passing fancy.

When MLS started, despite the fact that he knew little and cared less about soccer, he thought it might be fun to track, of all things, uniform numbers.

So he created this database which is almost certainly in some 1.0 version of a mid-90's spreadsheet.

http://persingspieces.com/homepage/mls_nums.html

If you click on a team - like, oh I dunno, the Columbus Crew to pick an example at random - you'll see that team's entire uniform number history up until 2011 when he stopped updating it. Just lost interest I think.

I contacted him around that time and he said it was fine with him if anyone wanted to poach the pages, use them however, didn't even need to credit him, he didn't care, he'd only done it for his own amusement, be his guest, etc.

From time to time I've tried to get various entities interested in saving the thing. MLS wasn't interested, various soccer websites ditto. At one point I tried to organize something on BS where there'd be one central guy who posted the whole thing but each team's supporters would provide a couple people who would keep their specific team updated.

I figured it would take maybe a half hour a year per team. Not exactly a major commitment, but after months of trying I was able to find volunteers from exactly four teams and no one who would find server space for it.

So I gave it up until recently when I learned that Persing has passed. I fear that someday, maybe soon, the pages will be taken down (I think they're on a university server someplace, Colorado maybe) and this information will be lost forever.

Preserving this info will allow people in the future, when the old farts among us are gumming Cream of Wheat, to look at old team photos and identify the players. Once it's gone, that will be impossible.

If this is all pretty stupid, OK fine. Maybe it's just me. But I wanted to take one last swing at it before it goes away.

So I'm asking if there's anyone who would at least volunteer to store this stuff, however that would work. At least the Crew archive if not all of it.

Of course if someone wants to try and make an ongoing thing of it, that would be, I think, a wonderful thing, but I've tried and failed and don't have the skills to do it myself. I'm sure we could reconstruct the last few years for the Crew and, well, if nobody else cares that's their problem.

I even thought maybe #stc might take it on, demonstrating that in Columbus, we honor our history and we're about more than Queso. If anyone wants to pass it on to them, great.

Anyway, there it is. Any comments, ideas or suggestions, feel free. I just fear that one of these days the thing will vanish and that will be a shame.

Thanks for reading.

CrewV Man, Kryptonite, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll shoot an email to Bernhardt. This looks to right in his wheelhouse.

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Bernhardt's on it. He's going to scrape the site tonight.

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good on you, Mr. Archer. Back when I was tracking team/player stats every year, there would be a couple Crew bit players they (MLS site) did not have uniform #s for, and it would frustrate me to no end. Or they would mess up a switch, like Santos this year.

I stopped doing it when they started incorrectly counting minutes played in substitutions and blatantly missing stuff (like crediting Hesmer with playing the whole year when he got hurt in the last game). If the league doesn't care, why should I?

You persisted. Maybe when the Crew is saved I will go back & update since 2011.

Ch(Elsey) and Bill Archer repped this.
  5. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Was it you (or some other glorious Crew historian) that kept the all time Crew records and high water marks, most goals, wins, etc etc? I always enjoyed that but I know how much of a time commitment that must have been. Definitely another thing we could/should crowd source after the jersey # effort.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Matt Bernhardt maybe?

7. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Media guides can also fill in the gaps. I have most hard copies for the Crew - purged the rest when I left the league but can help here and there if needed.

Bill Archer repped this.