Saudi Arabia VS IRAQ - Asian Cup 2007 Final

Discussion in 'Saudi Arabia' started by hammad_friend, Jul 29, 2007.

1. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Hard Luck to Saudi Arabia and congratulations to Iraq. Iraq deserved to Win. Saudi Arabia also played well but couldn't activate the forwards.

Better luck next time around. Now... prepare for the world cup qualification campaign.

2. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

LOL. Said like a commander:D.

3. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Unbelievable, if they had just played like the past games we could have done better, the referee was blind today, we could have won without performance if he had called some calls right. In the end I hope they keep this squad, I doubt we will see half of them in the next WCQ, hardluck Saudis, congratulations Iraq, at least we still are best historically.

4. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    I hope we still keep the coach. :eek:

5. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    My 2 cents:

#1 The Match: I have seen many claim that we underporformed. I don't think so. We have struggled against Korea and Uzbekistan too because of there physical style of play, but in this match, the Iraqi defense and Midfield was the stongest we faced in the tournament. In addition, there was a key factor that made us lose the match, and that was psychological:

1- We entered this game feeling that the trophy is already on its way to Riyadh. We defeated the champs Japan, so who can stand in our face? The players were totally disoriented throughout the whole match unable to overcome the shock of the great performance of the Iraqis.

2- All that mushy stuff about being all Arabs and it doesn't matter who wins or loses was a trap we fell for. The Iraqis certainly didn't believe in that B.S. and were willing to end the career of "fellow Arabs" in order to get the title. I can't blame the inexperienced players or the coach, and not even the referee, but Nasser AL-Johar and Al-Musaibeeh should have known better. The should have anticipated the intimadation and dirty playing always present when 2 Arab teams play in a final. They should have prepared the players for what's coming. KSA has always and will always compete for trophies and WC qualifications, but for Iraq, this is a chance that may very well never come by in a long long time.

6. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    #2 The Team: I think it is safe to say that this team played much better and went much further than any Saudi fan anticipated. So we should not be harsh. Certainly some players, such as the defenders were at best average players, and there was no play-maker or a decent attacking midfielder, but I believe that the coach can bring more talent to the team after fully watching the players in action next season with their clubs. We cannot keep playing this opportunistic style forever since it will not take you that far. And for that I am somewhat glad that we did not win the AC because that will only mean that we will ignore our weaknesses until we crash in the GC, change the coach, and then get slaughtered as usual in the WC.

The key thing is to give the coach a chance to prove himself. Sadly Paqueta, Calderon and God knows how many other coaches were axed after one bad result.

Another good thing that many haven't noticed and certainly the media wouldn't dare talk about it, is that a certain "big guy" seems to have taken his hands off the NT. He had no involvement whatsoever with the team's preparation and he did not go to SEA. Maybe his nephew lacks the experience, but I truly believe that he is a much better leader and has much better understanding of modern football in general. Pr. Nawaf passed the first test (the courage test), which was not calling many popular players (some the FA did not consider such as M. Noor but the rest were dismissed by the coach) standing with the coach against tough media criticism took a lot of guts. The second test would be the patience test. That is whether he will allow the coach will continue until 2010 or not. How many times have we heard that from Pr. Sultan but in the end fold under pressure?

To be honest, Dos Anjos' record is not that great to begin with, and we haven't seen much creativity in our playing this tournament. But the question is do we really need a great coach? or someone that can go down to the players' level and work from there? In the long run, having an average but sincere and hugry coach that understands the players and has a good professional relation with them (which Dos Anjos has shown) is better than a World Class coach who has "done that been there" and cares more about the money and expects a ready-made team knowing that no matter what he does 1- Will have minor effect on his resume. 2- Might nevertheless be soon fired.

7. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Nice points adelo, i think that Anjos is staying till the next gulf cup, I think in the coming December-January if we don't go to the final he might be sacked, if he doesn't, then he'll probably stay till the next Gulf Cup 2009 and if he does well, he'll stay for 2010 WC. Expecting that we will do well in the WCQs, since IMO I think it's rather easy, our home games we should be able to win it, no matter who's the opposition, away games we might lose 1 or 2 by most, and draw 1 or 2. Ending with 10 or 11 points which is enough to qualify as second. While in the final, I think Viera was able to read the Saudi team better than any other coach + lack of motivation, or maybe too much pressure on the players.

8. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Hélio dos ANnos will go out only if SAFF kicks him.

And I said,he's better than Paquetá by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

9. enemy redded

enemy redded Red Card

Aug 22, 2007
    That was one hell of a game :).