Saudi Arabia Pro League 19-20 assignments and discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    This appointment makes a lot of sense logistically, given that Gil Manzano just did a Spanish Super Cup semifinal in Jeddah. Wonder if we'll also see Sanchez Martinez in the coming days after his Final.

2. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 13

Al Ahli - Abha
    S. Al-Harbi (KSA), B. Al Shamrani (KSA), Y. Al Sultan (KSA), S. Al Hanfosh (KSA)

Three Saudi referees in one matchday is something that hasn't happened for a very long time.

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    King's Cup Quarterfinals

January 16

Al Hilal - Al Ittifaq
    B. Madden (SCO), G. Stewart (SCO), D. McGeachie (SCO), S. Al Hanfosh (KSA)

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 17

Al Adalah - Al Nassr
    A. Kulbakov (BLR), D. Zhuk (BLR), O. Maslyanko (BLR), S. Al-Harbi (KSA)

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Thank you for those clips.
    Good calls.

On the first one, it is hard to believe that there is no contact of knee to foot. But none is apparent from the replay; and the ridiculous sniper shot reaction makes not giving the foul pretty easy.

7. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Interesting situation!

To be fair I needed to look at it in frame-by-frame to be sure, but I believe it's a foul (quite similar to the - IMO correct - penalty that Brych gave after OFR in the NL Semifinal Portugal - Switzerland). Ad hoc situation where defender kicks one leg of the attacker which then 'kicks' his other leg, causing attacker to fall. If you ask me, refereeing went a bit wrong if we do not decide to whistle these sorts of situations.

It would take an expert eye to compute that in real time, but the clues are - close proximity of attacker-defender, natural fall of the attacker, extremely promising position of the attacker. It would take a lot of confidence in one's own perception to punish that; it's interesting that Madden goes to whistle, but then decides to play on. He might be bit further away than he would hope to be, but his insight angle is basically very good.

On the calling of the actual On-Field Review itself - really rare OFR for DOGSO where the foul has not already been whistled (I can't remember another one off the top of my head), but a great intervention by the VAR team - in my opinion it was a missed (foul and) DOGSO.

The selection of images by the VAR team is really poor - the crucial angle is not shown to Madden, and it should be no surprise he confirmed his initial decision to play on. Like in the CWC Final, this situation should be shown in seminars as to why the selection of the right replays to play in the RRA is so important. It should go without saying that these are extremely stressful moments for the referees and being shown the wrong angles can very easily lead to incorrect calls - especially for teams who are not familiar with each other, such as here or in recent CWC Final.

On Madden generally - he has really good soft skills, but technically he is not strong enough for UEFA Elite in my eyes.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what my response was going to be. I 100% agree. It's yet another reminder that training of VARs is of the utmost important.

Honestly, it's another reason I worry about OFRs in England right now. There's just no way that the expertise to do these right has been developed. It took a lot of growing pains in some other leagues and that was with a lot of effort.

9. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    King's Cup Quarterfinals

January 18

Al Wahda - Al Ahli
    I. Bebek (CRO), M. Ristic (SRB), D. Djurdjevic (SRB), A. Al Rumaikhani (KSA)

Abha - Al Fateh
    A. Treimanis (LVA), H. Gudermanis (LVA), A. Spasjonnikovs (LVA), K. Salwi (KSA)

Last year's U17 World Cup Final crew makes their appearance in a match that went to penalties.

10. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Adha - Al-Fateh, Andris Treimanis (Bruno Miguel Duarte Paixão)

11' Goal disallowed for offside (AR1) after an On-Field Review (active offside?)
    25' Penalty (tripping) + Yellow Card (reckless) confirmed after On-Field Review
    39' Reckless vs. SFP; no foul given, no VAR intervention
    42' Penalty (handling)? VAR supported play on
    73' Careless, Unsporting Behaviour or Violent Conduct? Verbal warning issued, no VAR intervention
    105' Referee awards a freekick and a Red Card (DOGSO); after an On-Field Review referee annuls that and gives a dropped ball

Overall not the best performance by Treimanis, Latvian was a bit too lenient and verbal warnings were a too big part of his tactical approach (use them sparingly in Arab games!).

Would be interested in your thoughts on the clips - especially on 105' that is a really interesting scene in my opinion.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think “football expects” that to be a no-call so it’s difficult to get too worked up about the end result.

But, there is an angle (the one from behind) that clearly shows contact on the foot prior to any contact with the ball. And yet again, a VAR doesn’t show that angle to the referee. Maybe the referee still agrees the contact is trifling and the call needs to be overturned. But to not even see the angle that most supports his decision?

12. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 20

Al Faisaly - Al Hilal
    A. Treimanis (LVA), H. Gudermanis (LVA), A. Spasjonnikovs (LVA), A. Zafer (KSA)

13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 23

Al Raed - Al Ahli
    S. Al Hanfosh (KSA), A. Al Shamari (KSA), K. Al Shamari (KSA), A. Al Juhani (KSA)

Al Fateh - Damak
    P. Gil (POL), A. Kupsik (POL), K. Sapela (POL), A. Al Rumaikhani (KSA)

14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 24

Al Wahda - Al Hazm
    M. Al Shamrani (KSA), F. Al-Omari (KSA), F. Al Qahtani (KSA), M. Al Hoaish (KSA)

Al Feiha - Al Taawon
    F. Alblwi (KSA), M. Al Abkari (KSA), O. Al Jamel (KSA), S. Al-Harbi (KSA)

Al Ittifaq - Al Nassr
    S. Marciniak (POL), K. Sapela (POL), A. Kupsik (POL), M. Asseri (KSA)

Three Saudi and two Polish referees in two days.

15. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if these Saudi referees have any resentment toward foreign officials coming in to work their league and cup games. How are the Saudi refs supposed to learn and improve if they can't get out on the field in top flight domestic competition?

16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 25

Al Ittihad - Al Adalah
    M. Conger (NZL), T. Makasini (TGA), M. Rule (NZL), K. Saleh Al Taries (KSA)

Abha - Al Faisaly
    T. Bognar (HUN), B. Buzas (HUN), P. Kobor (HUN), S. Al Jires (KSA)

Al Shabab - Al Hilal
    S. Moen (NOR), K. Haglund (NOR), M. Lundberg (NOR), T. Al Khudair (KSA)

17. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 30

Al Ittifaq - Al Wahda
    T. Bognar (HUN), P. Kobor (HUN), B. Buzas (HUN), K. Salwi (KSA)

Damak - Al Nassr
    M. Zelinka (CZE), I. Nadvornik (CZE), T. Mokrusch (CZE), S. Sughayyir (KSA)

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost like all the top UEFA referees are tied up somewhere, huh?

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Must be in China then ;)

20. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    January 31

Abha - Al Hilal
    I. Pajac (CRO), M. Ristic (SRB), D. Djurdjevic (SRB), M. Al Beredi (KSA)

Al Hazm - Al Taawon
    K. Saleh Al Taries (KSA), K. Al Shamari (KSA), F. Al Qahtani (KSA), S. Al Hanfosh (KSA)

Al Raed - Al Ittihad
    M. Al Hoaish (KSA), B. Al Shamrani (KSA), A. Al Shamari (KSA), M. Al Shamrani (KSA)

21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    February 1

Al Adalah - Al Ahli
    A. Lindhout (NED), J. van Zuilen (NED), R. Brondijk (NED), S. Al Harbi (KSA)

Al Shabab - Al Fateh
    T. Al Khudair (KSA), M. Al Abakry (KSA), Y. Al Sultan (KSA), F. Alblwi (KSA)

Al Feiha - Al Faisaly
    N. Waldron (NZL), J. Garae (VAN), I. Trevis (NZL), A. Al Nuhait (KSA)

Saudi Arabia's top referee in action, along with a new name from New Zealand.

22. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    #98 Mikael_Referee, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  23. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    February 5

Damak - Al Adalah
    M. Zebec (CRO), M. Ristic (SRB), D. Djurdjevic (SRB), A. Al-Shehri (KSA)

Al Taawon - Al Ittihad
    S. Kovacs (ROU), M. Artene (ROU), V. Marinescu (ROU), M. Al Esmaiel (KSA)

Al Hilal - Al Raed
    A. Kulbakov (BLR), O. Maslyanko (BLR), D. Zhuk (BLR), S. Al-Harbi (KSA)

24. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Aliaksiej Kuĺbakoŭ awarded five (!!) penalties in his game.

Al Hilal – Al Raed
    Aliaksiej Kuĺbakoŭ (Dennis Johan Higler)

40’ Penalty (handling) to Al Hilal + YC (SPA)
    +49’ Penalty (tripping) to Al Hilal; Reckless? No sanction
    59’ Penalty (handling) to Al Raed
    86’ Penalty (tripping) to Al Raed
    +95’ Penalty (tripping) to Al Hilal

VAR Interventions: 86’ No foul -> Penalty (OFR)

IASocFan and refinDC repped this.