Saudi Arabia Pro League 18-19 assignments and discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by balu, Nov 11, 2018.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, it isn't consistent. Neither is MLS' late-season policy change of requiring an OFR for offside decisions that are being changed and would otherwise be factual and not require an OFR.

And therein lies the problem. Competition authorities and referee administrators are bending the rules already to fit public expectations. That slow creep toward more OFRs will lead to both more "re-refereeing" and more delays... two things that the IFAB promised would not happen.

fischietto repped this.
  2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Clattenburg seems like the ex high school jock who still goes back to the same parties 10 years after he graduated.

Pretty sad. It's pretty apparent that he has still misses refereeing at the highest level and regrets walking away.

I wonder if the Saudi's will try and give him Saudi citizenship so they're can put him on the Saudi FIFA list and he will represent Saudi Arabia in Qatar. At the rate they have completely ditched their domestic talent pool, they might have to if they want to have anyone at the first Arab/Middle Eastern World Cup.

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 14

Al Nassr - Al Raed
    Ovidiu Hategan (ROU), Octavian Sovre (ROU), Sebastian Gheorghe (ROU), Mariusz Zlotek (POL)

Al Taawon - Al Feiha
    Svein Oddvar Moen (NOR), Kim Haglund (NOR), Magnus Lundberg (NOR), Dalibor Djurdjevic (CRO)

Al Batin - Al Ittihad
    Alan Kelly (IRL), Kyle Atkins (USA), Matthew Nelson (USA), Robert Sibiga (USA)

Still no US referee in the center :p

IASocFan repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said a few weeks ago...

I take it the "(IRL)" designation is just from soccerway? Given his current registration status, I don't see how he'd be classified as anything but an American referee for formal appointment purposes.

Now that the genie is out of the bottle, I'll reiterate I think this is a terrible decision and I am disappointed. The appointment did go through PRO (and maybe technically USSF?) so that answers the question of whether or not referees are going to Saudi Arabia with or without domestic approval. I do have questions about game fees, but I'm not sure those will ever be answered.

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    I don't think it's that important. I put the smiley there for a reason...

Maybe. Let's see what happens in the MLS first.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the only reason it's a terrible decision.

7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    What other reasons then? And terrible decision on the part of PRO or of the referees?

8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 15

Al Hilal - Al Hazm
    Milorad Mazic (SRB), Milovan Ristic (SRB), Dalibor Djurdjevic (SRB), Robert Sibiga (USA)

Al Ahli - Al Shabab
    Szymon Marciniak (POL), Pawel Sokolnicki (POL), Tomasz Listkiewicz (POL), Mariusz Zlotek (POL)

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not going to go into the first part here. Most of the potential reasons should be obvious.

Disappointing decision by both, also terrible by the referees. Other than game fees there should be no motivation to accept this appointment. At least with PRO, I understand the motivations. But it’s atill disappointing.

NW Referee repped this.
  10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the problem with accepting assignments between MLS sessions? There aren't many high level assignments this time of year in the USA, are there?

11. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  12. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 17

Ohod - Al Quadisiya
    Mark Clattenburg (ENG), Kyle Atkins (USA), Matthew Nelson (USA), Robert Sibiga (USA)

Is this the first time US referees work with a UCL/Euro Final referee in an official, top-level match?

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hall was 4O for Collina in 2002 and I also think he had at least one UCL AR run his line. Same is possible for Baharmast in 1998 at the WC and 1996 Olympics. But since trios started to dominate FIFA events? Stott being 4O to Poll in 2006 is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

IASocFan repped this.
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard enough time understanding clatts on TV. Using headsets with him would be really tough!

15. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 20

Al Raed - Al Hazm
    Artur Soares Dias (POR), Kyle Atkins (USA), Matthew Nelson (USA), Robert Sibiga (USA)

Al Faisaly - Al Wahda
    Pavel Kralovec (CZE), Ivo Nadvornik (CZE), Tomas Mokrusch (CZE), Igor Pajac (CRO)

Croatia is supplying lots of 4th officials.

16. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the US boys are getting lots of work. Wonder if Sibiga will get a middle?

17. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seems they have only used non-Saudi FIFAs (and Clattenburg) so far, but it would be interesting if he did.

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 21

Al Shabab - Al Batim
    Mark Clattenburg (ENG), Jake Collin (ENG), Dalibor Djurdjevic (CRO), Danilo Grujic (CRO)

Al Hilal - Al Ahli
    Clement Turpin (FRA), Nicolas Danos (FRA), Cyril Gringore (FRA), Igor Pajac (CRO)

Al Fateh - Al Ittifaq
    Hugo Miguel (POR), Ricardo Santos (POR), Nuno Pereira (POR), Helder Malheiro (POR)

Al Quasidiya - Al Taawon
    Anastasios Sidiropoulos (GRE), Polychronis Kostaras (GRE), Lazaros Dimitriadis (GRE), Ammar Ashkanani (KWT)

Al Ittihad - Al Nassr
    Viktor Kassai (HUN), Gyorgy Ring (HUN), Vencel Toth (HUN), Ivan Bebek (CRO)

Turpin in action, another Portugal FIFA referee also there, three Croatian fourth officials in one day.

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 22

Al Feiha - Ohod
    Sergey Karasev (RUS), Anton Averianov (RUS), Tikohn Kalugin (RUS), Robert Sibiga (USA)

Out of the 26 UEFA Elite referees, at least half (13) have worked in the Saudi Arabian league this year: Cakir, Hategan, Karasev, Kassai, Kralovec, Kuipers, Makkelie, Marciniak, Mazic, Sidiropoulos, Skomina, Soares Dias, and Turpin. The next league with the most Elite referees is probably La Liga, with 4: Mateu Lahoz, Undiano Mallenco, Del Cerro Grande, and Gil Manzano.

20. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the only place some of these referees are getting real world VAR practice? Obviously some of the home leagues have it, but others don't

21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 25

Al Raed - Al Taawon
    Sergey Karasev (RUS), Anton Averianov (RUS), Tikhon Kalugin (RUS), Milovan Ristic (SRB)

22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 27

Al Batin - Al Quasidiya
    Viktor Kassai (HUN), Gyorgy Ring (HUN), Vencel Toth (HUN), Roberto Alonso (ESP)

Al Faisaly - Al Feiha
    Milorad Mazic (SRB), Milovan Ristic (SRB), Dalibor Djurdjevic (SRB), Ignacio Iglesias Villanueva (ESP)

Old faces in the center, but two Spanish fourth officials. Looks like we'll see Iglesias Villanueva in the middle soon.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the lesser-known Portuguese and Spanish referees are there primarily to provide VAR support (the assignments of which are difficult to find). I'm actually wondering if Kelly or Sibiga worked as VARs at all.

refinDC repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, it's possible some of these assignments for 4O are wrong. I'm seeing the same assignment as you for Mazic's match, but that on Kassai's match Alonso is VAR and Undiano Mallenco is the 4O. So who knows?

25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    December 28

Al Fateh - Al Nassr
    Alberto Undiano Mallenco (ESP), Roberto Alonso Fernandez (ESP), Aitor Villate Martinez (ESP), Ignacio Iglesias Villaneuva (ESP)

Al Hazm - Al Shabab
    Danny Makkelie (NED), Mario Diks (NED), Hessel Steegstra (NED), Jochem Kamphuis (NED)

Al Wahda - Al Ahli
    Ovidiu Hategan (ROU), Octavian Sovre (ROU), Sebastian Gheorghe (ROU), Milovan Ristic (SRB)

Undiano Mallenco in the middle with Iglesias Vllaneuva as fourth official. 14 UEFA Elite referees and counting.