Saudi Arabia collapsing - why no media coverage?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by spejic, Aug 2, 2002.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Strange that there is nothing in the news about the turmoil in Saudi Arabia. Riots have been stepped up for the last month. There is serious conflict between groups in the royal family. King Fahd is going to croak in his bed in a Switzerland hospital. It isn't clear that Crown Prince Abdullah, the guy that has been running things for the last 6 years, will win a power struggle.

I know that all the important people in American know about this and wondering what they can do about it. But why isn't this on news shows every day? If this thing boils over, it will have 1000 times more of an impact on America than the Israeli-Palestinian war or kidnapped girls. I know there was a brief flurry of news after Sept 11, but it faded away as all non-sensational news does. The citizenry should be given some warning.

http://www.observer.co.uk/waronterrorism/story/0,1373,764615,00.html

2. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    What? No car chase?

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Are you kidding? D Oyou know what serious effects all these kidnapped children have on my life.

I'm a journalist. Don't get me started on that topic.

4. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hehehehe, seriously. Last year it was sharks this year it's kidnapped kids. Why is the media crap?

5. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Because they're well paid to be crap. Their purpose is to make people feel informed by overwhelming them with irrelevant distractions and lies while the rulers do as they please without the supposedly sovereign People getting in their way and, if possible, to build mass conformity to the ideology and actions of the plutocracy. You must admit, they're doing a wonderful job.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    F00k da Saudis, I wanna know whats going on with them beaching WHALES!

7. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

And three relatively young princes have died recently... one of thirst out in the desert... one in a car accident... and one of a heart attack.

8. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Media coverage is non-existent on tensions in Saudi Arabia due to our pending war with Iraq. The last thing the administration wants is further speculation on Middle East power vacuums. Such discussion disrupts in a bad way their scheming to get rid of Saddam.

I for one am sickened at the lack of discussion and general apathy for debate on this coming war. Perchance our democracy is so frail that "citizens" exercise their disdain by street protests that the oligarchy knows they can put down and the media can portray such as anarchists.

Cheers y'all...back to my job search.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > back to my job search

But you can't be unemployed! The media says that we are in recovery, and that the economy is growing! Maybe you better put your life savings in the stock market - after all, I hear that this is the bottom!

10. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This news is just awesome. The Rand Corporation is the greatest organization known to mankind.

Oh, and Kissinger is evil.

11. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Why am I skeptical of this report? One name -- Richard Perle. At least it was reported that he is chairman of this Defense Board which issued this report.
    The Saudi royal family was worth defending in 1991 at the cost of US soldiers lives, and now, they're America's bitter enemies. So was defending the House of Saud during the Gulf War a major mistake?

12. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1991, we were not defending the Saudi Royal family but American interests. Like it or not, oil is what makes the world economy run. If cars ran on beer and not oil, we would be more concerned with defending England, Germany and Canada right now.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    And somebody might give a ************ about Belgium

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree RAND is very cool but you should know they've distanced themselves from Laurent's report. It is soooo obvious what is going on...

He is obviously a French provacateur! Their plan is to instigate a war between the US and all Islamic states. France will then walk in and control S.Arabia's vast oil reserves. A new French empire will rise up...

:p

16. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Joe. Stop! You're killing me.

Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand: Check out the PowerPoint presentation Laurent gave.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2069119

"Egypt the prize?" What the canal? Does it handle supertankers?