Pre-match: Saturday night DC United vs. Portland 8/13

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by usadcu, Aug 11, 2016.

1. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    DC United vs. the defending champion Timbers
    7:00 pm at RFK
    Newschannel 8

[​IMG]

Our coach will be up in the seats
    Their Diego Chara will be out after a red card

dadman, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Whomever is playing D-mid for DCU better get in Nagbe's jock early and stay there, otherwise this won't turn out well. Sam and Nyarko should fly at a Portland backline missing Borchers. If DCU plays conservatively and lets Nagbe move at will, Hamid will have to stand on his head for DCU to get a draw.

Winoman repped this.
  3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Maybe he'll discover what his team actually looks like from a loftier vantage point.

Von Zee and roadkit repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Vive L'Amour

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be a hot hot hot damn day on Saturday - don't forget to bring water to mix on and off with your regular bourbon/vodka/rum/beer!

This could be a great gut-check and turning-point for United. Or a bloodbath.

DCU - 2
    Timber Joey - 1

Is it my imagination or is my boy Chad Ashton undefeated? One of you anal bastards must have a spreadsheet ;)

PS -No Screaming Eagle Tailgate, so remember to bring your own beer!

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  6. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    This. If it's >95 and humid, I may even forgo the beer for water at halftime. The horror.

Yep. The season is starting the home stretch, and the team is not in a good position. But the same with Portland...this could be a horrendous loss, or a marker to change this achingly mediocre year.

dadman repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Between the tailgate in lot 8 and actually being in the stadium, I'm gonna be a twice baked potato (if you get my drift).

8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match is tomorrow and the pregame site has only seven entries? Pathetic. Why, it's enough to make someone think we don't care:rolleyes:

9. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I care.
    I have Valeri on my fantasy team.

Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  10. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adi or Mullins?
    Melano/Mattocks or Nyarko/Sam?
    Valerie/Nagbe or Acosta/DeLeon?

Substantial talent deficit in attack. United's hope lays in Portland's makeshift back line. Only Alvas Powell is a regular, United reject Amobi Okugo manning the middle with Jermaine Taylor, and some guy with the second longest name I've ever seen at left back. It's probably pronounced Andrewshayvitz, but uses about 10 more letters. He rivals Jan Vennegor Of Hesselink, easy.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully nobody gets heat stroke. This is probably going to be like that Chivas game from 2006-7 (I can't remember exactly) -- it was like 115 on the pitch.

12. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Game got moved to 8 PM and you're allowed two unopened bottles of water.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/08/13/d-c-united-kickoff-saturday-august-13-pushed-back-8-p-m

Yeah, the talent deficit is huge on offense and Portland is finding their form after a rocky start to the season. I believe they are going to bring in Steven Taylor formerly of Newcastle into central defense today. He's played a couple NASL matches already, so he might be activated for today. And we haven't actually beaten Portland anywwhere since 2011.

On paper we don't stand a chance, but a draw is possible I suppose. Hamid will have to be huge though because Portland is not shy about taking shots. No Chara will really hurt them though. Juiceberry (as Balboa calls him) is decent but not the impact player Chara is.

We'll see.

Oh, I remember that Chivas slow cooker. Also a couple molten Superliga matches. Anyone remember that Boca Juniors boilermaker? A 3 o'clock start in August that was like sitting on the surface of the Sun. I literally didn't want any part of my body touching another part on any other human under any circumstances. I felt like my skin was melting off.

dadman repped this.
  13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Best part was how it ended 0-0. The Hudson years.

dadman repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Methinks some of you are vastly overrating Portland right now ... Valeri and Adi can punish any team on their day, but if you can contain those two the rest of the team is below MLS average. Chara will be missing, Nagbe is overrated, Melano is mostly a bust and their defense has been in shambles with only like 3 or 4 shut outs all season.

Not to say this means we should win, after all we suck and are making a living off dropping points at home. But if we lose it's not because we're facing some unstoppable juggernaut.

superdave repped this.
  15. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Good news: we won't be competing with Nats fans (7:05 first pitch) for the use of road/Metro infrastructure.

Bad news: both games are now much more likely to end at roughly the same time, putting both fanbases on a collision course.

FWIW, what is a potential annoyance now (overlapping Nats/DCU fan traffic) will be a no-crap nightmare once the Buzz opens and we-all have to share South Cap Street and the Green Line together.
    Just sayin'

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How many people will actually know ahead of time that the game was delayed? I just happened to see a tweet that wasn't from the team. The two water thing is nice. It would be nicer if I could keep the deadly cap on it after going through security.

17. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Just do what I've done for years now: bring an extra cap or two with you.

asitis

FLSoccerGran, dadman and Marco10 repped this.
  18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Not me, sitting here atRFK drinking beer with my son going with the 1 beer 1 water regimen.

sitruc repped this.
  19. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melano has 2 goals and 5 assists. For a basis of comparison, Barrios has 6 goals and 2 assists. Is he a bust? Dallas has only scored one more goal than Portland.
    Portland hasn't allowed more than one goal in a game since late June, and that streak includes shutouts at Jersey and Colorado. Now, this isn't that defense due to injury, but it's not like they are a sieve.
    Nagbe is fantastic, how dare you? Seriously though, he's one chip on his shoulder from being the US' best p!ayer.

20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Too hot switched to gin and tonic.

dadman repped this.
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'd rate Melano about equal to Barrios. The difference is that Melano cost a substantial transfer fee which is a rare occurrence in MLS. Barrios was discovered in Colombian 2nd division and earns about $80K ...

True ... Portland's defense has improved a lot in the last month or so. Gleeson has been a revelation. But as their defense has improved their goals have also started to dry up a bit. Their game just doesn't impress me that much ...

Meh ... he's fantastic on his day but only in brief stretches. He hit his stride during playoff stretch last year, but I'd like to see him put it together for one consistent entire season before giving him the keys to the NT. For me he disappears from games too often. For Portland Valeri is the real catalyst that can consistently change games ...

22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe absolutely disappears, so frustrating. He's like Donovan in that way, without the shooting boots. I'm convinced something is going to have to majorly piss him off for the switch to flip.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's the Birn bomb again!!! That's been one of the differences between this season and last season ... not enough set piece goals. Glad to see that changing!

FLSoccerGran, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early goal does not compute.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Boloni86