News: Saturday, April 16, 2016

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tomásbernal, Apr 16, 2016.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, where the hell are you @Fiosfan??? I'm getting concerned. Does anyone have contact outside of this forum with him?

2. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    I think it's time to contact Mulder & Scully to get to the bottom of this.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Matt Besler eager to return to SKC lineup after a month on the ...
    Sporting Kansas City-2 hours ago
    “I'm really looking forward to it,” the veteran center back told MLSsoccer.com on Friday, two days ahead of Sunday's away date with FC Dallas (6 pm CT; FS1, ...

Crew | Team feeling strain with no wins, few goals

Columbus Dispatch-4 hours ago
    Only the New York Red Bulls (62 goals) scored more than the Crew last year, but no team in Major League Soccer has scored fewer goals than the Crew this ...

upload_2016-4-16_12-7-51.jpeg Photo Gallery: NBA to sell ads on jerseys
    The Missoulian-6 hours ago
    ... Portland Timbers defender Chris Klute (15) and Los Angeles Galaxy forward Gyasi Zardes (11) battle for the ball during an MLS soccer game in Carson, Calif.

Nigel de Jong only handed three-match suspension for tackle on ...
    FOXSports.com-7 hours ago
    By Ryan RosenblattFOX Soccer @RyanRosenblatt Apr 15, 2016 at 11:31a ET. 0 ... MLS has banned the Galaxy's Nigel de Jong three games for his tackle on ...

Portland Timbers looking to get second victory, San Jose ...
    VAVEL.com-9 hours ago
    MLS: Timbers will be hosting the Earthquakes on Saturday at Providence Park. ... other hand have had an awful start to the 2016Major League Soccer season.

Women's pro league embarks on historic fourth season
    Fairfield Daily Republic-9 hours ago
    The National Women's Soccer League is going where no other previous U.S. ... He said there is interest from both Major League Soccer teams and other entities ...

Investors Excited Sacramento Could Be Home To MLS Team
    CBS Local-10 hours ago
    SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Sacramento investors say they're excited with the announcement a Major League Soccer team could be coming to MLS in the ...

Alonso, Evans reach 200-game MLS milestone together
    The Bellingham Herald-12 hours ago
    Sounders Brad Evans and Osvaldo Alonso are expected to make their 200th MLS appearances, while Union midfielder Brian Carroll is in line for his 350th.

MLS ups the ante on expansion
    Soccer America-12 hours ago
    Major League Soccer has come a long way in the last decade, let alone the last two. ... As MLS begins to move into its next and perhaps final expansion phase ...

As MLS approaches, Minnesota United's supporters' culture blossoms
    TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press-13 hours ago
    Jason Rynders leads the 'The Dark Clouds" fan section in support of Minnesota United as they play Jacksonville Armada FC during the second half of a soccer ...

Whitecaps move on from D.C. drubbing, focused on RSL
    Sportsnet.ca-13 hours ago
    ... challenge on Saturday: the Whitecaps will be going up against an even tougher opponent in Real Salt Lake, the lone unbeaten team inMajor League Soccer.

MLS Has Eyes On San Diego
    NBC 7 San Diego-14 hours ago
    Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber had a long meeting with the media this week in Sacramento. Among the topics was the next wave of MLS ...

Andy Furillo: Republic FC and Kings are tale of two franchises
    Sacramento Bee (blog)-15 hours ago
    Sunshine splashed a celebration Thursday on L Street with the Major League Soccer commissioner's announcement that he expects Sacramento to join his ...

Revs Discussed Pre-Draft Trade Possibilities for Larin
    New England Soccer Today-15 hours ago
    Before he earned 2015 MLS Rookie of the Year honors on the back of a rookie-record 17 goals, and before he was taken with the first overall pick in 2015, ...

Weber: 'It gives me a bit of spark,' says young, confident Fraser Aird ...
    The Province-16 hours ago
    The Vancouver Whitecaps' 21-year-old fullback — raised in Toronto and Glasgow, Scotland — is just six games into his Major League Soccer career.

MLS commissioner names Detroit as expansion candidate
    The Detroit News-16 hours ago
    MLS Commissioner Don Garber mentioned Detroit when he talked about possible expansion ... Could a Major League Soccer team be in Detroit's future?

Toronto FC looks to capitalize in Washington
    Toronto Sun-17 hours ago
    Consider this: More than half of Major League Soccer's 12 playoff teams in 2015 averaged a point-per-game or less away from home. The average road haul for ...

NBA players will begin sporting ads on their jerseys in 2017
    Washington Post-18 hours ago
    NEW YORK — The NBA will join Major League Soccer as the second major U.S. professional sports league to allow advertisements on its players' jerseys.

McIntyre: Revs boosted by improved Fagundez
    ESPN FC (blog)-18 hours ago
    When the Revs added depth up front with Teal Bunbury and Charlie Davies ahead of the 2014 season -- one that ended with an extra-timeMLS Cup loss to the ...

Portland Timbers respond to Darlington Nagbe's return to training ...
    OregonLive.com-18 hours ago
    BEAVERTON — Darlington Nagbe returned to training on Friday during a closed workout at the Portland Timbers' facility, the same day Major League Soccer ...

BakedAlaskan, sitruc and Revolt repped this.
  4. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    I will be nervous any time Nagbe goes down for the next few games..

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm kind of curious whether they're doing this to add revenue, or whether it's to replace revenue they expect to lose down the road. I know that Sports Business Journal used to ask leagues whether they were contemplating jersey ads, and their response was usually that they were hesitant because it would compete with the commercials. And that makes sense, you can't just keep adding more ads without devaluing the ones you're already selling.

But it seems like more and more people in the DVR and streaming era expect to pay for their scripted content and then not to see commercials. There may come a time where sports really stand out as the only thing that's loaded down with commercials. At that point, I don't think they need to get rid of them per se, but I could see needing to tone it down so that it isn't so jarring, and to replace that money with more in-game sponsorships that you can't DVR past.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FWIW, this has been an expected move from the NBA for years. The WNBA became the test case. Frankly I was surprised they did not go the route of large ads on the front like MLS or WNBA. I was also surprised some shirts may be sold without ads.

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm guessing they're easing the fanbase into it; 10 years from now I expect sponsor logos that are one of, if not the, most prominent things on the jersey. The question for me is if this will pair with fewer commercials, or whether it will just mean more income for the league.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's the thing though. I'm not sure how much easing into it they really need. They changed the template on all of the shirts this season freeing up space on the front in what everyone anticipated was going to be for ads either this season or in the near future. Other leagues have had ads for years including the WNBA. It really is a matter of just waiting for them to do it at this point. Maybe they're waiting to maximize value after the salary cap goes up significantly. This was first anticipated 2 years ago when the NBA logo was moved from the shoulder to the back of the uniform.
    upload_2016-4-18_9-37-52.png

9. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Also notice the gold patch on the back of the neckline with the number inside of it. It represents the number of championships that team has won. It's kind of like stars above a crest.

Wonder where they got that from ;)

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The ESPN/sports talk radio crowd doesn't give a shit where the NBA logo is put or what the WNBA is doing. There was gonna be a backlash when ads went on the jersey, and it would have been a lot bigger if it had been in a 'title'-type space or a title-type size right away. I'd say the NBA has a reason to do that incrementally.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not sure when the last time I listened to one of espn's talk shows was. I can only tolerate so much faux outrage and debate. Likewise, I don't listen to most national sports talk. You know how I feel about DC sports talk... I prefer to listen to random markets over DC. ********. Baltimore is slightly better than DC and they spend half of the time ranting on what any outsider immediately identifies as inferiority complex symptoms.

12. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's always the latter. More money always beats out not as much money.

13. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I barely watch the NBA anymore. I think since the JailBlazers era I have watched maybe 4 Trailblazer playoff games. And that was because I couldn't find anything else on TV.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    At some point, the ads really do start to compete with each other and just dilute themselves. This is why TV is not 90% commercials. There's a theoretical profit-maximizing balance, and reason to at least speculate that might already have been at it before this change occurred.

15. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Since, I don't follow the NBA, what are the Jailblazers?

16. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It refers to certain iterations of the Portland Trail Blazers, particularly around 2000 to '03, when a number of players for the team had various legal problems including drug use, sexual assault, and animal abuse, as well as on-court altercations with opponents, referees, and among team members themselves.

4four4 and PTFC in KCMO repped this.