Sarachan wants US job full time

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tony in Quakeland, Feb 28, 2018.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am truly gobsmacked that there has been this much support in the thread for the proposition that Sarachan be in contention for the full-time job. I mean, absolutely floored.

TOAzer, USA-Zebuel, sXeWesley and 3 others repped this.
  2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Cosigned. It's stunning to me that it's even crossed anyone's mind let alone been a thing people are advocating for.

juveeer, TOAzer, USA-Zebuel and 2 others repped this.
  3. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah to be clear I am not blaming Sarachan for any of this. I am completely mystified that any coach from T&T is still employed, period. Further mystified that everyone treats this as perfectly acceptable and normal and allows Sarachan to continue on his delusions, the whole thing is just bizarre. It isn't just USSF though it is the reporters writing these stories as if it is perfectly normal for this dude to have designs on the top job, or even staying around the program long term.

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone advocating Sarachan or is it wondering what the heck people are ranting so hard about over a clear interim and short-timer? I haven't seen anyone advocate Sarachan other than he making a comment that he should be considered but doesn't know if he will be. That is pretty normal for interim/caretakers unless you have someone without an ounce of ambition. At least this guy seems able to run a camp and the players seemed energized. Doesn't mean he has a chance at getting hired. This will all be over 3 - 5 months and there will be a new coach to rant over. In the meantime, expect young players to be played but maybe not orange slices for everyone. Could be worse. Far, far worse. 30 unused sub minutes isn't going to kill this program over this period of time.

VBCity72 and deuteronomy repped this.
  5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or with the program at all at this point?

I mean I rather have him and other retreads like Richie Williams with the senior team, where there is scrutiny and some heat and they are working with professionals that have their own backbone. Rather than have these dudes be moved back down the totem pole where they can continue ********ing things up with the youth players.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarachan is a good man with a decent record of coaching success, both with the National Team as an assistant and in MLS with the Chicago Fire. My biggest problem with him is his age and a lack of new ideas.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, I agree (he WAS just part of a pretty gigantic failure as a top assistant). But a lack of new ideas is a complete disqualifier, no?

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disqualified as a caretaker?

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If he does well with the remaining three games (I assume no new coach until post WC), he deserves an interview. He probably gets an interview anyway because you do that even if you don't plan on hiring him.

If he gets the job, the other candidates better have some sort of drug problem or legal issue that disqualifies them.

largegarlic repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? We are discussing him getting the full-time job.

But since you brought it up, I would have preferred someone who wasn't part of the meltdown to have gotten the caretaker role. Then we could have truly discussed whether THAT person had the chops for the permanent gig.

russ and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  11. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost two f***ing months later and we still haven't heard anything about the GM position. The position that nobody wants, I say put the whole Athlete's Council to work for free since they were sooo interested in moving the program forward. Get Bocanegra and Stuart to volunteer and help their buddy Cordeiro.

TOAzer, largegarlic and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am wondering because I haven't seen anyone advocating him getting the job full time. Of course it would have been preferrable someone not involved but getting someone for a very part time gig that can do some sort of a job isn't easy. They tried Tab, but he wasn't interested in a caretaker role and I don't blame him.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, did not use the word "advocating." I expressed dismay at those who were supportive of the proposition that he even be "in contention" for the job. And yes, there have been a few in this thread who are obviously open to the possibility. That is madness.

USA-Zebuel and neems repped this.
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final game against T&T was a horrendous coaching failure. The team did not have the right approach, did not have the right game plan, and failed to get a draw in a must not lose scenario. This was the biggest game for the USA in at least the past 14 years, and they couldn't get it done Therefore, any coach associated with this debacle should never coach at the National Team level again.

TxEx, sXeWesley, juveeer and 4 others repped this.
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I missed those posts.

VBCity72 repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sarachan isn't Arena. His job previously was to help Arena. Now his job is to make the decisions.

If we are going forward, that's something. Arena was stuck in concrete boots.

I don't think the future coach is going to look at the Portugal, Bosnia, Paraguay series and say nothing was learned.

He told Bradley and Co. to take a hike. He played Adams at outside mid then attacking then as 8 opposite Delgado. He called Delgado in to Jan camp and didn't give him a single minute against Bosnia but gave him 85m in the next game. He played Nagbe at mid then wing. The team he is playing is on the planning board for 2022. If he were playing for results he would have called in Sapong, Jozy, Pulisic.

US Soccer basically said let's continue the process thru the next 3 games and gave Sarachan an extension to do that. I don't see a problem.

VBCity72 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    We dont know this yet, He said he is interested in bringing back Bradley and Jozy. which isent that bad of a thing. BUT, only if Bradley is not named Captain. you cant name Bradley captain AGAIN after being the worst captain in USMNT history the last few years.

Winoman repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarachan should be named Saracan't.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is all this Sarachan saccharin designed to make us think Porter is the sweetest sugar by comparison? Because, short of PsyOps, I can't think of one good reason why DS would be in contention for the USMNT job.

russ repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was waiting for laundry and turned the Paraguay game on again. It also helped that I was sober this time. Trapp was very good. He has matured significantly.

I think it just wastes time to bring Bradley back. Bradley doesn't have the on the ground passing out of the back anymore. Trapp had some monster passes out of the back and saved a goal by Almiron with super quick foot reflex.

We always used to get stuck on Bradley when somebody finally asked the question "ok, let's say he's not any good, but who replaces him?". Bradley has no clear advantage over Trapp at this point. Bradley's back up was McCarty. Is there any point playing Dax over Trapp? I don't see it.

By the same token, for those who say don't call Jozy, we now have the vexing question "ok, you don't like Jozy but who is any better?"

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This piece in SBI really lauds Sarachan's midfield selection
    https://sbisoccer.com/2018/03/mls-based-midfield-shines-in-usmnt-win

" when the final whistle sounded on Tuesday night, it was a trio of MLS regulars that stood out as the biggest key to victory.

The midfield trio of Wil Trapp, Tyler Adams and Marky Delgado shined on Tuesday night, dominating the match in the game’s most important sector. Facing a veteran Paraguay midfield headlined by Atlanta United star Miguel Almiron, the U.S. midfield was far superior, leading the charge in an impressive team-wide performance."

22. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I know we all wanted our best 11 of guys who can’t legally drink to play 90 minutes against a mature South American team. That’s really fantastic, your optimism is fanatical and illogical.

I think Dave Sarachan is doing a fine job as caretaker, same formation each game, clear expectations, good team spirit, optimism about the future.

It’s not super easy to find a man to do this particular job well, and he is. I appreciate it.

deuteronomy and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a strawman you just posed. People did not want what you said ... they wanted more rotation with the 6 allowable subs in the game, at an interval that gave those subs a chance to give a good account of what they had to offer. Sarachan failed in THAT mission, and not the mission of playing the youngest 11 guys.

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarachan is a ********ing garbage manager, and anyone who even entertains that he is not is merely engaging in performance art.

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could hire a butt plug to do as fine a job as DS has done.

Come to think of it...