San Jose Mercury News 4-21-11 "Ultra" article

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Earthshaker, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice reporting by the Merk!

They capture the true essence of Brian Glennon.

What an A-hole. It doesn't even make sense.

2 people repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And in related news, I just learned we have an inalienable right to life, liberty, and not to be "offended":

"In all the above 'human rights' cases, the traditional protections of Common Law do not apply — whether the notion that truth is a defense or the principle of equality before the law. For the crime of giving offense is in the eye of the offended."
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/265353/human-right-not-be-offended-mark-steyn

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the traveling away support component had gotten in the article somehow.

5. MikeyGQuakes

MikeyGQuakes New Member

Feb 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "niche sport"? I don't see that at all. I mean, comparing football's place in the USA today with it's status 15 years ago (once the MLS' newness wore off) I can't see how anyone would not be happy. I'm not saying we're anywhere near where we want to be yet, but come on and acknowledge progress.

As for angst over supporters culture, how are we supposed to grow the sport here by making a fan experience that is exactly like every other sports? Football offers a different experience, for a different demographic. I'm not saying we have to embrace hooliganism, but I don't see that happening.

I'm extremely proud of our supporters, league wide, for importing the best aspects of supporter culture and none of the bad. Fact is, look at the clubs in this league that are built around the supporters, and look at the clubs that are not. Who's drawing the big crowds?

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, that is something that, hopefully, Matt, you will never see in MLS.

1 person likes this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One aspect missing from the article, which I otherwise generally like, is mention of the phenomenal diversity of the 1906 Ultras in ethnicity, national origin and religion. In a locale marked by its diversity, I cannot think of a single more diverse group of any kind whatsoever than the Ultras. Love of club binds these disparate elements in a beautiful way. The Ultras are inherently and organically -- as well as being expressly -- anti-racist.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://www.mercurynews.com/earthquakes/ci_17902652

With all due respect to Brian Glennon, I think the article tends to be a little exaggerated as most of these articles are when it comes to talking about soccer fans. I have heard the argument for well over 20-30 years and I'm really starting to grow tired of it. I mean are we kidding or what? I haven't been to other stadiums or venues around the league but to compare or even suggest MLS fans are becoming Euro hooligans (in whatever capacity) is a little ludicrous. Seriously, I lived over there and I've seen and felt the effects of the hooligans and my life was threatened on many occassions because of whom I supported. We (MLS supporters) don't (thankfully) even come close. Its simply not true!

2 people repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I cringed when I saw that there was a MN "ultras" article because I thought that it would emphasize the negative. But I think it was fairly well balanced. Regarding the Glennon quote I think on balance supporter's groups helpto make the sport more appealing to the "majority of American sports fans", who would appreciate the energy level that the groups bring to the atmosphere.

1 person likes this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    With all due respect to the author of the article, isn't it really aimed at the wrong group of supporters? I mean, where was the universal declaration of anger at baseball supporter groups when a Giants fan was beaten into unconsciousness at a Dodgers game? Funny, but I don't recall any angry screeds aimed at "baseball culture" in that instance... Frankly, the whole argument is stupid -- there is more hooliganism displayed at any sports event in Philadelphia than in any MLS game I've ever seen. It's just that it makes sexy press to pretend that MLS supporters groups are hooligans...

1 person likes this.
  11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there aren't supporters groups in baseball? Just a thought.

12. dspserpico

dspserpico Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a segment from the Colbert Report during the World Cup when a pro soccer guy faced off with an anti soccer guy:

Guy 1: But there's soccer hooligans!

Guy 2: Apparently, my colleague hs never been to a sporting event in Philadelphia.

13. dspserpico

dspserpico Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Left Field/Right Field Bleacher people at the Oakland Coliseum would beg to differ.

14. slapnut

slapnut New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    sunnyvale
    i guess this can depend on what peoples definition of a "supports group" is. but i completely agree with you. the bleacher people in left and right field have drums going on all game long......the flags. the a's don't draw huge crowds unfortunately, but these folks certainly make going to an a's game a better experience.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IMHO, to fabricate stories or to focus on the controversial, I think is outdated journalism ....Its really gets old after a few hundred times. How can even the most casual of sports fans believe this crap?

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Glennon quotation is just to balance things out, keeping it from being a puff piece. I think the tone was pretty positive overall, explaining that the club reciprocates the support and that MLS groups are not actually racially/politically charged hooligans.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still not a "supporter's group" in the style that a group like say the Ultras are for a soccer team. They're just a loose group of fans who sit in the same part of the stadium. They're not an organized group, don't have a capo, etc...

18. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall a very balanced report !

Regarding B.Glennon quote, well , I already know where his stand is when it comes to the Ultras,and honestly doesn't surprised me at all.

19. dspserpico

dspserpico Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By your criteria, the Casbah isn't a supporter's group either.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so? They're an organized group. They have a leadership (though their effectiveness might be in question), they have a website, they have membership rolls...

The A's bleacher denizens do not have any of these things. Their only unifying force is that some of them sit in the same area regularly and a few are friends.

21. dspserpico

dspserpico Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The A's bleacher are:

Organized: They tailgate with each other, organize softball games between LF and RF. They in conjunction with other groups do some service in the community and have organized trips to spring training and away games not in SF in the past.

Leadership: Everybody knows Bobby Oaktown 510. Wasn't there an article in the Chron did an article that some A's fans in the bleachers accepted the Matsuiland sign from a bunch of Angels fans during Spring Training. Doesn't that take organization and leadership?

Membership Rolls: If the Earthquakes and MLS didn't require season tickets and membership rolls, do you think the Casbah would maintain a membership roll? I don't think the Ultras would either.

22. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Could you please translate the article for us? :)

24. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this is so awesome to me. nice work everyone involved.

'congratulations, you have just met the world famous San Jose Ultras'

lol !

25. dspserpico

dspserpico Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they quoted liberally from the Merc article.