Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Sporting Kansas City (Saturday, 4/20) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 4 - 1 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen the Quakes look so confident for a full 90 minutes. No Park the bus in the 2nd half and hope for the best. They kept their foot on the gas the entire game.

Question for those at the game, what was the vibe like at Avaya. Looked like a really small crowd on TV.

DasMoots, bobby_guzman and Antonio2020 repped this.
  3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was watching at home. Good game. I was quite annoyed at Danger though, he suggested that by going up 4-0, we should start to protect that lead and not play openly and attacking so much.

We need to get away from that kind of thinking!

Team look great this game, at no time during this game did I thought we were in any danger. Dominated the entire game.

Did we win our 2nd game last season by the 7th game?

DasMoots repped this.
  4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance listed as 15,777. Didn’t look that full on the broadcast.

5. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen the stadium this empty for an MLS game. It almost looked like a mid-week Open Cup game.

6. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Just got home from the game. The atmosphere was quiet because the ultras didn't show up. The krazy George chants were pretty loud though. I did see the section in 117 with Fisher Out scarves and I think eventually they moved down to the supporters terrace since the ultras weren't there anyway.

Overall the game was super fun. I thought we looked really good playing the ball from the back in the first half. I also could clearly see the man-marking system (in previous games I would look for it and it didn't seem so obvious to me). My wife kept pointing out that Shea was marking Zusi and it was cute how laser focused he was on Zusi the entire match. His eyes were fixed on Zusi at all times (at least during defense). If Zusi walked to the sideline to drink water Shea was right their next to him. To Shea's credit I don't think Zusi did much of anything all game.

Well I don't think I'll be able to talk tomorrow as I lost my voice screaming after Shea's goal to start the second half. I LOVED IT. Unbelievable that Shea now has 2 goals and Wondo has none. The soccer gods are messing with us.

Shea remained captain even when Wondo subbed on. That only made sense though since Shea captained the team to 4-1 and scoring the fourth goal himself.

Special thanks to TyffaneeSue for the parking pass! BS community is awesome!

7. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC doesn’t have the horses on the back line anymore where they canplay a high defensive line. Danny ate up the right center back on multiple occasions in the first 15 minutes.

asdf2 repped this.
  8. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JY gave a nice balance to the midfield eg youthful legs. He has really improved this season under Almeyda.

9. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    #9 MtnGardener, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    That was a fun game! Wife finally saw a victory. I thought there were more people than at the Portland game. It started very empty, but by the time the second goal was scored I thought the stands filled up pretty well.

Don't know why Flo was so dead set on a giving up a penalty goal. I thought the first PK was junk, the KC player misplayed and lost possession, there was a bump in the attempt to recover. It was technically a foul because it was from behind, but that is not really how they call fouls. The second one, though, Flo grabbed him, pulled him down, he recovered a little, and Flo finished him off. I was pretty mad at him.

Magnus, Godoy, Yueill, and TT seem to have a good understanding now. They are finding each other repeatedly on quick passing.

A few times early Hoesen lost his defensive position, but each time he realized it and he booked it back into the play. Later in the game he seemed to be comfortable and remembering his defensive responsibilities.

Shea looked really good.

I think Almeyda is getting a feel for the players and the style of play. I also lost my voice cheering. Hopefully the impatient folks are feeling a little more ready to let this play out. And hopefully Fisher spends a little money in the summer.

10. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    #10 sacrxy, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Even the Lobina was sparse. No more than 10k counting the games area in the Epicenter

Krazy George lost his voice. Had to use a megaphone

11. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Same here. There was always one of Flo or Cummings free without man marking responsibility inside the box to pretty much play stopper to be able to double team someone

Didn’t know we had a teal third kit or was that the one time robin blue Easter kit?

Boysinblue repped this.
  12. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    It was the Earth Day recycled plastic kit: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/20/mls-adidas-parley-2018

don gagliardi and sacrxy repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes auctioned most of the starters' game-worn kits for their community fund. I was able to acquire Cristian Espinoza's for the Soccer Legacy Collection at History San Jose. The museum also has in its collection one of last year's parley game-worn kits (in Orlando), that one worn by Vako.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  14. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My two cents on the vibe. Pretty quiet, and I'd agree there was less than 10k in attendance. I don't think it ever really "filled in", and the Ultras being gone kept that end of the stadium relatively quiet.

As for the game, among the best performance I've seen at Avaya since it opened. Though I disagree that we looked good playing it out from the back. In the first 25 minutes or so, we passed around, made KC run, but it usually ended up being a hoof forward from Flo or Vega in the end anyway, more than a few of which went straight out of bounds. I'm not entirely sure that it accomplished what it's meant to. I also don't think Cummings or Vega are exceptionally good passers, so I worry about that tactic against better teams.

We're clearly a different team with Wondo on the bench and Hoesen up front. Also, I'm a fan of any formation that doesn't have Salinas playing full/wing back. I don't think fullback is Tommy's best position, but Tommy playing fullback may be the best look for the team right now.

Boysinblue repped this.
  15. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty strange game. SKC did not live up to my expectations at all. That's not to say we didn't play really well, but I expected a much tougher game. Not only that, but Vermes seemed subdued considering the weak game his team was having. On the tv broadcast, I don't think I ever saw him out of his chair once, and whenever the camera was on him, he wasn't saying or doing much of anything.

Of course the other strange thing (right out of the gate) was our uniform color. I understand about the earth day thing, but I found it ironic that the color we were wearing was not very far off from SKC's home color. I wondered whether they would unconsciously pass the ball to us as a result! I don't think they did, but it had to mess with their brains just a little bit.

Hoesen will deserve all of the accolades he will receive for this performance, and Shea's goal was an absolute beauty too, but wow what a game from Godoy. He was masterful on the ball, and controlled the tempo for practically the entire game. Very composed and efficient, allowing us to confidently keep possession and build our attack. And that long ball he played to Danny for the opening goal was sweet. I wish he hadn't taken that yellow, but I get it- he was standing up for his buddy Cummings.

Kudos also to Vega, who was forced/expected to do a LOT with his feet tonight. Even though it was a lot of routine work, he deserves credit for doing it safely and without incident.

Dangerfield was giving high praise to Eriksson, saying he played his best game ever in a Quakes shirt. I don't agree. He was pretty good, but I think this was one of his weaker games this year. He failed two or three times to get a shot on target when he had great chances, and he also killed a couple of attacks by picking the wrong pass or fumbling with the ball. Pretty decent in defending and combining in midfield, though.

Flo was better in the first half, and I thought he looked like he was running out of gas during the second.

I thought Lima lost his mark a couple of times, but other than that I thought the young Americans all looked very good. Nice ball by Jackson for Danny's second goal.

Overall a pretty good job by the refs too. VAR finally didn't screw us.

MtnGardener and Boysinblue repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He lost it about 20 years ago.

markmcf8, DotMPP and dakotajoe repped this.
  17. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What are they upset about now?

DasMoots and Beerking repped this.
  18. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    The 4-1 score may have flattered us a bit but we played great.

We started our best 11 in my opinion. In the long run Erickson and Shea may be bench or depth players but both were good tonight.

No idea what's up with the Ultras this time.

It was a heck of a night. Well done lads.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow , what a result! Going up early was really a back breaker for KC. San Jose has been lucky with their opponents many missed pk’s this season. The goals by Hoesen were awesome.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  20. Cheez-it

Cheez-it Member

May 20, 2018
    Obviously, almost 16k is nearly maxed out attendance. looked more like 7k AT most.

Maybe when our team isn't dog sht, they can gain more respect as a serious team and people will attend.

21. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Cheez-it

Cheez-it Member

May 20, 2018
    There was a strike on the FO for not doing anything to fix a relatively broken team. Saw it on reddit.

dakotajoe repped this.
  23. Cheez-it

Cheez-it Member

May 20, 2018
    I'll be honest, from a TV perspective, the match didn't sound much different, only difference when the ultras are there is you head a constant thump of a drum...That's about it.

Even the few games I attended last season, Could barely hear them as it is.
    Why they were moved to the bottom/smaller area, instead of above the goal is beyond me, it seems since that move the numbers just completely died out. Before they moved down, they easily filled the entire stadium with chanting, even on TV...

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true, so much for their, “Win or Lose, we will always be here for you!” slogan.
    :rolleyes:

2in10, Boysinblue, davidjd and 4 others repped this.
  25. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their numbers were dead before the move.