San Jose Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC U.S. Open Cup (Wed., 6/28) pre/in/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The score so far is:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There doesn't appear to be any television broadcast for this game, I'm afraid. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently ESPN is going to broadcast FC Cincinnati vs CHI

4. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beerking and sacrxy repped this.
  5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And LA vs Sac Republic is being televised on Uverse SPSNHD

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No national TV because Seattle is a small club. Maybe if they were defending MLS Cup champs and had won the Open Cup lots of times, and boasted some players who see regular action for the US national team, Seattle might deserve a look in this tournament, but unless and until that happens the broadcasters will clamor to show Sacramento Republic. :)

SeaJayBee repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Hey Chris, can we finally take this competition seriously?

falvo and don gagliardi repped this.
  8. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Colvey be back from Russian by Wednesday,......tough spot for the new coach.....win the Open Cup game and chance having tired players Saturday for the biggest match of the year at Stanford? (by biggest match I mean that in terms of marketing $....)

9. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is Lima eligible for this match?
    Is Mfeka cap tied to Reno?

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lima's suspension will be for the MLS competition (i.e. the LA game.). He should be available for Wednesday's game.

tenfourteen repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Quakes have still never won a single USOC game against MLS opposition in franchise history?

Hopefully that can change under Leitch.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not a bad way to start if it does happen. Win a game against pretty despicable opponents, break an unwanted statistic, and advance us in a competition we've had crappy experiences with.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the match up from several years back at Kezar (IIRC), where Eddie Johnson decided to throw some punches as time expired.

markmcf8, Beerking, davez and 2 others repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gee, has any MLS team ever done a treble (i.e. win the open cup, MLS cup and supporters' shield)?

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

bsman repped this.
  16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Coach Leitch, how about starting Lima and TT on the same side like we did the first game of the season? Can we try the home grown guys together again? Please? Give them free reign to torch the Sounders.....

markmcf8 and tenfourteen repped this.
  17. SterlingM

SterlingM Member

Apr 26, 2010
    PDX, OR by way of OAK, CA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I'd had my phone out to film that moment, since people claimed it--and Lenhart's concussion during that match--never happened, because there was no video.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Not likely. And I would support not putting too much into trying to win this Open Cup game if I were Chris.

Fact is, Dom did not lose his job because of poor Open Cup performance. The team needs to be providing a sustained entertaining product within MLS. This Saturday is THE game of the season. A win at Stanford will entertain 50,000 fans most of whom are NOT STH at Avaya. Jesse knows that we need to have a positive momentum shift on Saturday also because STH renewals are open and people are hesitant to renew.

So, I would assume that Chris has been told to make sure that whatever he does, he needs to keep his strongest lineup available for Saturday.

The bright side of Lima's foolish red card last Saturday is that Chris can play Nick this whole game. That is good. We played a 3-5-2 (my preferred formation) against the Deltas and we could do that again against the Sounders. Problem is the 3rd CB if Flo is still out. (I expect he is and I would not risk him for the OC game. I would save him for the Stanford game). Could be Alashe if he is healthy and I would be OK with that.

One thought is that, if we played a 3-5-2 with the younger players, we might have Lima as one wingback and Colvey as the other. That would be a tantalizing experiment. Then TT, Jackson and Mfeka, perhaps, fill out the middle? Up top we can still play Wondo (who seems to have infinite endurance) and someone. Don't really care who because I would be wanting to see how the youth midfield performs in this experiment. Could play Hoesen up top for a half and then sub him out with Urena and rest both a bit for Saturday.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At a preseason game Jesse did a meet and greet with STH's.....someone asked him if CONCACAF was important to the Quakes. He said no that making MLS playoffs was the goal, so if CONCACAF is not a priority I'm guessing the same could be said for US Open Cup.

That being said I still want the Quakes to win....

markmcf8, tenfourteen and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would rather the Quakes win the Open Cup outright than merely qualify for the MLS playoffs.

Also, both the Open Cup game against Seattle and next Saturday's league game against LA are at home against inferior opponents. The Quakes should assume they will win both, not pray for either/or, and prioritize accordingly. If we're truly going in a different direction, we should be chewing gum and blowing bubbles while riding our skateboard.

bobby_guzman, tenfourteen and bsman repped this.
  21. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of us here would like to see the Quakes win every game they play.....I would love for them to win Supporters Shield, MLS Cup, US Open Cup and Concacaf......one can always dream...

markmcf8 and tenfourteen repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I understand the Quakes cannot win them all, but anything less than winning both the next two home games is unacceptable.

And, by the way, this all has the capacity to get ugly in a real hurry. When you fire a coach after a win, imagine the blow back if the next guy comes in and promptly loses a pair of home games. The pressure is on the new guys in a major way. Lots of season tickets have yet to be renewed.

23. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i saw it.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A jury from Simi Valley will still acquit. :)

25. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ideally, but not with LA this Sunday

tenfourteen repped this.