Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake (Saturday, 6/24) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 2 - 1 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

Fiosfan repped this.
  2. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always happy when the Quakes win!

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quakes seemed impressive and determined. Hoessen and Urena played really well. I think Simone told them to read our negative posts about them on BS this past week! Lima was playing nervously and committed dumb fouls. Rookie or not that hurts the team next week because he will be out. Overall, a good win by San Jose!

nihon2000 repped this.
  4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both goals were lovely. The angle on Ureña's goal was just about impossible, but he made it happen. The best part was that they didn't back up the bus and bunker for 75 minutes after the first goal. Last week was all bunker, but this week they kept pushing and it paid off.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Back from the game.

Ah RSL, making the Quakes look good.

Beerking, mjlee22, bobby_guzman and 4 others repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The shot that Marco made was the trickiest of the night. But Ike's bike will snuff his gotw hopes

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Was Avaya as empty as it looked on TV?

alexiskool1991 and Beerking repped this.
  8. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the mighty have fallen. RSL is a garbage team with bad coaching.

9. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to our coaches staff tonight. They had the right game plan to play the ball behind the RSL high back line.

futbolloco repped this.
  10. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    meh. I should be enjoying this win, but for some reason, they changed the exiting procedure from the lot and I was diverted left to 101 instead of 880. If it's not the play on the field, it's something else that makes me leave this stadium angry. /vent

Beerking and TBPride repped this.
  11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, we all learned just how terrible Real Salt Lake is this year. Playing over the top worked quite well, though I was happy to see the Quakes actually play balls in behind the defense as well. They usually don't do that. I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, it was one of the most entertaining games I've been to. On the other hand, I don't expect it to really mean a whole lot given just how poor the opposition was.

I'll try not to focus too heavily on the negatives, though, and say that I thought this was Ceren's best game, by far. It was nice to see Hoesen rewarded, as well as Urena, but those guys need to score more goals. It is way too late in the season to be getting only one's second.

Hyka was pretty good, as was the central defense. Cato had some great moments and some not so great. Lima was generally better, though he did get beat to the line yet again, thankfully on a play that didn't end up costing the team anything. His two yellows were perhaps not completely fairly given, but his feet up challenge was really dumb and could have been a straight red, anyway.

Wondolowski was terrible and Kinnear should be fired for taking Urena off and leaving him on. I can think of two plays where Wondolowski ruined the buildup by trying to be in the playmaker role rather than scooting toward goal...you know, like a forward is supposed to do. Maybe this is a problem with the coaching (I'm fairly certain it is), but I am sick of watching Wondolowski in the midfield. He's too old and slow to make 30 or 40 yard runs into the box all game long. Most of the game he's nowhere near the goal, and that isn't helping anybody. One specific play late in the game made me particularly irritated. He basically cut in on Hyka's run, which messed Hyka up, and then Wondolowski squandered the opportunity since he's not a good midfielder. I'm ready for him to retire.

So that was more negative than I intended, but there were still a lot of issues that were obvious to me in this team that Salt Lake just are not good enough to take advantage of. That's good news for Kinnear, but bad news for anyone who wants this team to actually be successful.

alexiskool1991 and mjlee22 repped this.
  12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I will give Petke all the credit he deserves. His team let San Jose do whatever they wanted with the ball and offered up practically no resistance, even up a player.

As for San Jose's coaching staff, they were the broken clock tonight. One thing irked me though. Kinnear was really quiet most of the game until Thompson came on. Then he was up and yelling specifically at Thompson. I don't understand that. It looked as if he was really micromanaging Thompson, even though he'd been on the field for like two minutes. Seemed really bizarre to me.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I felt bad for Salt Lake. Their fall from greatness was way too fast. At least they aren't the hackers they were under Cassar.

Hyka's offside goal. This happened right by us, and at least our collective impression was that he'd run through several RSL players to get to the ball.

And yes, the stadium was very empty. The west side was less than half full, and all those people were not at the bar. Speaking of which, how irresponsible is it to encourage people to stay and drink for an hour after the game?!?

markmcf8, tenfourteen and Beerking repped this.
  14. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LOBINA was packed, but Avaya was probably the emptiest I've seen it in two years.

Beerking repped this.
  15. Trudge

Trudge Member

Feb 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Guy next to me (I didn't fact check) reported he paid attention and Wondo didn't touch the ball until the 19th minute. I think I saw about 5 touches throughout the game. Kinnear took off the three best players (maybe 3 of the 4, Bernardez played well) Ironically (or perhaps intentionally) the 3 options for MotM from the Avaya app were all of Kinnear's subs. I was glad to see Urena pissed when he came off, he should be, he shouldn't have come off, and his coming off hurt us.

bobby_guzman and hc897 repped this.
  16. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 KMJvet, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Maybe Kinnear was giving Urena some rest. We do have to find enough players to field a team Wednesday with all the injuries. It was another game where we couldn't even manage a healthy game day 18 and it might not be better Wednesday. I agree with the tweets suggesting they sub for Godoy mid 2nd half because of the importance of him not getting a yellow. Luckily Godoy didn't do anything stupid. Too bad Lima did.

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Um, Wondo had over 30 passes, only 3 incomplete, and 3 key passes - most on the team. He also had 4 recoveries and a clearance while his partner Urena had 0 defensive plays.

The other thing about Wondo is that he just goes forever. You don't have to worry about him getting tired, ever. He has crazy endurance. He is slow as molasses, but he goes slowly like molasses forever.

bobby_guzman, jetdog9 and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Another thing - dang I didn't realize that Plata was so fast. If I were RSL I'd try to get him closer to the goal somehow. He was the one guy made me a little nervous. Fortunately Lima was on his side for the most part and neutralized him somewhat.

19. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good game. We actually looked to have coordinated off the ball movement for passing in the channels and over the top. I don't know many times we were in on goal...great to see.

Ceren had an outstanding game...ridiculously sharp.

The biggest takeaway for me...Ceren and the new attackers are competing hard for future playing time. Knowing a DP player is coming into the mix, there will be less minutes to spread around...nobody wants to be an easy choice to ride the bench.

nihon2000 and vjle repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Everything clicked tonight. I hope they keep playing this way and they remain consistent.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #21 JazzyJ, Jun 25, 2017
    He wound up scoring, but Urena was so bad in the first half it seemed blatantly obvious that's whose place Vako should be taking in the starting lineup. That would be my choice.

BTW, during much of the game, especially early, Hyka was pushed into the middle and Cato coming up the right wing. It was a de facto 3-5-2. So I suppose Vako could take that spot (Hyka's), but you don't want to take Hyka or Hoesen off the field at this point I don't think. I'd put Vako in Urena's spot - w/o thinking twice.

22. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    My thoughts by player:

RSL - looked very poor tonight

Imperiale - highest quality to minutes played ratio on the team. Always looks good when called upon.
    Bernandez - I just love this guy.
    Lima - youthful rash tonight put his team at risk
    Cato - good
    Ceren - solid
    Godoy - had more time than usual. Looked good.
    Hoosen - best game I've seen from him.
    Hyka - good
    Wondo - quiet but some nice passing. Who cares who the late sub was really thats a toss up.
    Ureyno - Smart player, plays hard, smart, makes great runs. Some of his touches are donkey esque unfortunately.

Subs - nicely helped close out the game.

23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #23 chris thebassplayer, Jun 25, 2017
    Yep, he squandered several golden opportunities...nice goal tonight, but he isn't a good finisher.

24. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Me too.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #25 don gagliardi, Jun 25, 2017
    My guest enjoyed her first Quakes game ever and was thoroughly captivated. We watched the first half from LOBINA, and the second half with the Ultras.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: We spent about five minutes max in the supporters terrace below the Ultras at the start of the second half, during which time I overheard the p*to chant. Perhaps unsurprising. If there is one place you would expect to hear the forbidden chant, it was exactly where I heard it, right behind the opposition goal. I wonder whether the chant can be heard in the lower supporters terrace every game. Notably, I have never to my recollection heard the p*to chant in the Ultras section in the decade or so I've been watching games from there.