Pre-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Los Angeles FC (Saturday, 3/30) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I haven't been a fan for nearly as long as many on BS but I've been following since the middle of 2014 and on my 3rd year as a STH. On the one hand I'm not invested as many of you, but on the other hand I've never seen a good Quakes year. I've only heard stories of 2012 and the golden years before they went to Houston. So I'm not sure why i do this - I just fell in love with soccer and I hope some day the Bay Area can have a world class team (some day).

But yeah, to some extent I feel your pain. The Quakes organization is stumbling to say the least.

I do think we caught a break by getting a 'CONCACAF' class coach and I hope it works out. I think we should go all in on this and hope for the best - He needs the players though...

Turning around now and starting over with yet another coach I just fear we could end up in an even worse spot.

2in10, mjlee22, Sactown Soccer and 4 others repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    It’s not the coach, I tend to agree that getting Almeyda was a good move and I’m pretty sure he could be a great coach for us too, with the right players. I never thought a coaching move coupled with a few minor tweaks would make much improvement over last year. And it’s true, 2012 was a lot of fun but before that you have to go back to 2005 for a really good year, and of course 2001 and 2005 were brilliant. That history and losing our team in such a way does factor into the emotion around wanting to be better and hating just how bad we’ve become. I hope we can celebrate a great season again before too many years roll by, for everyone’s sake!

markmcf8 and Scott Rohde repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

Quakes05 repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Our guys suffered too many losses last season. No matter what Matias has done, some of our guys still have fragile egos. Losing is habit-forming. As the losses pile up our guys aren't going to have any confidence at all, and you need that to play well.

We are falling into a black hole. There is no way out of this mess without signing better players and ditching some of the guys on our roster. And in a new environment, some of our guys will do much better, but here? We're just so screwed!

I'm so pissed! It's not like this wasn't predictable.

Go Quakes!!
    We don't care if we suck!!

- Mark

don gagliardi repped this.
  5. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How much longer before KNBR drops the Quakes from its programming?...

markmcf8 and Beerking repped this.
  6. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gulp...I'll be there. Drakes Hefe will make the result less painful..

Beerking repped this.
  7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    BOYCOTT THIS GAME, IT'S BEING SHOWN ON NATIONAL TELEVISION! :thumbsup:

8. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On this forum there are about 10-15 participants. Out of these, only half probably go to games. Would it make a difference if they boycott?

DotMPP repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sales for the game have been brisk. The game is going to sell out, or come close, and there will be a large contingent of traveling LA fans. I would not be surprised if Quakes fans are outnumbered, even without a boycott.

Beerking repped this.
  10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Count on it, it's going to look like LA lite.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You repeat yourself. ;)

Beerking and due time repped this.
  12. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well...that would reflect very poorly on our fanbase if we let that happen. I agree that empty seats will send a message, but a game against a team from LA is not a good time for that.

Beerking repped this.
  13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really think that a boycott is going to make a difference in this case, certainly not in the short run.

But, if fans contact the front office, either fan relations or Jesse directly and express their extreme displeasure, it might make a dent. Actual protests in the stands, Jesse OUT signs, Fisher OUT signs, I don't think those would either get Jesse fired, or cause Fisher to sell, but it might cause Fisher to spend more money on the team.

The problem is that we need re-enforcements right now, but we won't get any until the summer transfer window when it will be too late.

2019 is just one more in a series of seasons that ownership is willing to flush down the toilet. That attitude more than anything else really pisses me off. It's clear that ownership and the FO in general are willing to tank a whole season. "We tried some stuff in the pre-season, but it didn't pan out and now we're willing to wait for next pre-season to try again." That's just shit.

In any case, LaF#*ck are going to stomp on us.

Go Quakes!!
    We suck!!!

- Mark

Quakes05 repped this.
  14. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Boy are they going to be surprised when they find out we aren't happy!

DasMoots, SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they know that we are pissed, but it looks like we need to rub their noses in it. It's has to be intolerable for them that we are pissed. Flood their email inboxes, jam their voice mail, complain from the stands, boo! If we don't make a change right away this season is lost. Just like last season and so many seasons before. We need a sense of urgency, but I'm not seeing it.

Go Quakes!!
    f@#$ing terrible!!

- Mark

Quakes05 and Beerking repped this.
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How did that work last season? The breakfast with Fioranelli? The Stahre Out banners? The season ticket non-renewals?

17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    When I renewed my tickets I had a long talk with my ticket rep about how 2018 was torture and how I hoped and expected to see great signings in the off season. He agreed with me and hoped for the same thing (why wouldn’t he, it would just make it easier for him to sell tickets).

The feeling I got is the whole organization wants the team to do better. Everybody’s life would just be easier that way.

I heard the mercury news is no longer covering the Quakes and I don’t think the local tv news covers the Quakes either (I remember they did have the home opener in the news though)

Check any recent post from the Quakes Twitter account and look at the replies. It’s 100% negative. You know how negative BS is, same with reddit and I would guess Facebook as well. It’s not difficult for me to monitor all of this so I’m sure at least somebody employed by the quakes is doing the same (they do have a media team).

I noticed they don’t do those Quakes axis videos anymore and they aren’t doing the tactical analysis videos. My guess is they don’t want to dwell on the horrible start to the season. But who knows.

I know that the MLS media gives absolutely bare minimum coverage to the Quakes and it’s almost always negative.

So my assessment is things are really bad for the quakes right now and everybody has to know it.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, we need to make it worse. As @Scott Rohde says, I'm sure that they know. BUT, they sure as hell don't appear to be doing anything about it. I mean, maybe they are pursing a couple of players quietly, so we might not see that. But we keep running out the same starting eleven. We keep pursing the same tactics. We still have Eriksson and Afolter on the roster. We still aren't seeing the kids get more playing time.

Right now, I think the best way to watch a Quakes game is with a morphine drip line, or a really large glass of whiskey.

Go ... or forget it

- Mark

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    serenity prayer drinker.png

2in10, DotMPP, SoccerIsOurLife and 3 others repped this.
  20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Maybe the big drum was a good idea if they let us take our aggression out banging on it. A giant punching bag might have been smarter though.

Or even better: a dunk tank and each ticket holder gets to choose which player, coach, or executive gets in the tank.

DotMPP and markmcf8 repped this.
  21. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Eventually, we’re going to catch one of these teams in a trap game, where they aren’t prepared, and we’re up for the game/get a fortuitous goal. It started to happen for a half on Saturday. I’m gonna go against the grain, and call 2-1 quakes, goals from vako and Espinoza

QuakeAttack, markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so 2-1 Quakes, but then what about the second half?

2in10, DasMoots, markmcf8 and 4 others repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

upload_2019-3-18_19-26-32.gif

Beerking repped this.
  24. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    I’m going to petition to the league to have the game stopped after 45 minutes lol

25. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    [​IMG]

mjlee22, markmcf8, Beerking and 3 others repped this.