San Jose Earthquakes Hall of Fame - Class of 2019

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Richard and Oby! Both well deserved. Used to crack up watching Oby run onto the field to treat an injured Quake.

Goodsport repped this.
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could Oby still do that today? ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I moved here in 87, so I am not familiar with "Oby", but immediately got a picture in my mind:

[​IMG]

Beerking and Goodsport repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Obey was a good trainer but what about players like Best and Zungul? Shouldn't they deserve a mention?

Beerking repped this.
  6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can take it up with the voters, but both were only on the team for two seasons, which is pretty minimal for a Hall of Fame status. I'd rather see Jeff Agoos, Dwayne DeRosario, and Frank Yallop.

Beerking, Boysinblue and bsman repped this.
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsman repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Goodsport repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They were very important players though and they put the club on a worldwide map. When people think of the NASL Quakes, those players enter everyone’s mind. Pele played three seasons with the Cosmos and his name is synonymous not only with them but with soccer across the USA.

With all do respect to both Obey or his successor Mark Belmont , they weren't really club protagonists, nor did they ever kick a ball. I'm happy for him but I don't recall him trotting out to take care of players. Thinking back to that era,
    I'm sure he did but I don't remember it. Heck I remember John Rowland’s decking Frank Worthington giving him a bloody nose or fans surrounding a referee when trying to leave the Spartan Stadium field but I don’t remember Obey.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George played two years on crappy Quakes teams. While I loved watching him, he didn't do anything special as a Quakes to warrant him on the HOF. Zungal played for the team after the NASL folded. Nobody watched that team and it was barely a professional league. He played all of two seasons. Indoors doesn't count.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but, Falvo's George Best Photo Thread should be in the BigSoccer Hall of Fame.:thumbsup:

don gagliardi and QuakeAttack repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #12 falvo, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    At least Best was one of the greatest players in the world , a household name and is still talked about on a daily basis. Zungul was the last NASL outdoor MVP and was a pure goal scorer. Other than Chinaglia, I can't remember seeing too many goal scorers like him in that era. Best also scored the greatest NASL or MLS goal ever. Former Seattle Sounders midfielder , Adrian Webster was saying the same thing to me just a few months ago. He was definitely the greatest and most famous player the Quakes ever had. They both created excitement and long lasting memories but with all due respect to him, no one ever heard of Dave Obenour.

Heck even Laurie Calloway who represented local soccer teams across four eras, deserves it more that Obie.

13. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We could cheer the Quakes from the "Group W" bench!

bsman repped this.
  14. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Just a quick post regarding when Zungul played for the Quakes. He played for the Earthquakes during the last two seasons of the NASL, not after the league folded. In fact, then owner, Carl Berg, had to get a federal court order against FIFA to allow Zungul to earn his living by playing for the Quakes (true story...the court ruled that FIFA had no standing to disallow any legal US resident from working....Zungul was on the FIFA sh*tlist for not honoring his contract with Hadjuk Split in was then Yugoslavia...he took a vacation to New York, with club permission, then just stayed in the US...legally of course). Zungul was easily one of the best players, arguably the best player (by some), in the history of the Quakes...was good for 20+ goals per season.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Coach Don Popovic told me FIFA didn't show up when they went to the Supreme Court to argue his case. They had no legal right to prevent him from playing, applying his trade and making a living. Not by a US or International law.

After playing 5 + indoor seasons, in one of his first outdoor games in 1983 against the Russian National Champion, Dynamo Minsk , Steve Zungul was still a superior player and ahead of his teammates or opponents. He scored as did Polish International Stan Terlecki who was also banned from Poland and Englishman Godfrey Ingram. Looking back, maybe the game is slower and changed a bit but as Chris Dangerfield says, that was the greatest Quakes team of all time , NASL or MLS.

[​IMG]

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one wanted to play with semantics, they can say that Zungul didn't play for the San Jose Earthquakes but rather for the Golden Bay Earthquakes since for whatever reason that was what the team was renamed to for the NASL's final two seasons. ;)

The team name was thankfully changed back to San Jose Earthquakes once the NASL folded after the 1984 season and the team joined the WSA shortly afterward. :)

-G

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On GM John Carbray & Owner Carl Berg's suggestion, the team was named the Golden Bay Earthquakes.

They were trying to cash in on the indoor soccer boom playing indoors at the in the winter at the Oakland Colosseum Arena and outdoor at Spartan Stadium in San Jose during the spring and summer months.

18. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Yes, I will own up to my error regarding the team moniker. Most of us long term fans never really acknowledged "Golden Bay" as legit anyway. Like Falvo noted, it was merely a marketing gimmick, one that likely made no difference in terms of fan acceptance or attendance. Regardless of the name, they were still the "Earthquakes", playing in the venerable relic, Spartan Stadium, albeit with the postage stamp sized pitch, one of the reasons the home team always had the widely acknowledged home field advantage, even when the teams were not very good. When there was a good team, it was virtually unbeatable at Spartan (there were almost always exceptions to that rule, although the year they tied Dynamo Minsk in the preseason, they did not lose at home until the last game of that season....unfortunately in the playoffs).

falvo repped this.
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-G

QuakeAttack repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're going to keel over when Shea Salinas is inducted. :)

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Awesome day for Obie and his family.

Congratulations on your Earthquakes Hall of fame !

[​IMG]

sj_oldtimer and don gagliardi repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're you there? I have pics from the opposite angle.

falvo repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No....a former NASL player I know was....

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we are considering non players, shouldn't Krazy George get a vote to the Hall of Fame? He has had an affinity with the Quakes and Bay Area soccer since 1974. I believe he was involved with the Quakes, Stompers, Blackhawks for a game or two , the 1994 WC at Stanford and the Clash /Quakes of MLS.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]