San Jose Earthquakes - Cruz Azul exhibition (Saturday, 10/13) pre/in/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 27, 2018.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • A snitch in time saves 9 p-chants
    • In a kingdom of snitches, no snitch stands out.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we already know steps 1-2 don’t work at all. But the rest of the steps seem like they could work, except probably all the fans would get really upset and start booing — booing not just the announcer, and referee, but also the booing the p-chanters.

Plus it might be better if the announcer said that the game was stopped not by the referee, but by the match official. Or by the team itself.

3. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were also p-chants at the Stanford game and unfortunately, I was sitting in front of a group of young people (either college age or in early 20's) who did p-chants in the first half.

I finally got fed up and told them to stop, and they told me they were doing it for the "atmosphere". When I asked why they had to use a homophobic language (I probably used some salty language that I shouldn't have in front of my 6 year old), they came back with "why is it homophobic?". After a while I realized they really didn't know what the p-word meant. There are a lot of articles that go into detail of the origin/meaning of the word and I think a lot of people use the chant without realizing what it really means.

What may help is to educate why the chant is insensitive and shouldn't be used. May be I'm overly optimistic, I think a lot of folks will stop doing this after they read an article like this one https://fusion.tv/story/71932/********-mexico-soccer-chant/

After halftime, the young people behind us stopped the p-chant...

mjlee22 and markmcf8 repped this.
  4. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes should require sensitivity classes for all fans who purchase tickets.

DotMPP and don gagliardi repped this.
  5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You punish the visiting team because it is the only possible way to stop their fans from doing the chant. (And even such punishment might not work). However, my point is that if you are not going to do anything to enforce the rule, then there is no reason to keep making the current announcement. The current announcement doesn't work, and just makes the Quakes look silly and impotent.
    It is my impression that the international anti-racism campaign in soccer has involved punishing teams who are deemed to allow it to happen (I could be wrong about that), and that hasn't totally stopped that activity.
    Venceremos, if you are correct that it is intractable Mexican futbol culture and that it will be in San Jose next season, and if this is a FIFA or US Soccer mandate to stop that behavior, then the Quakes need to decide what they are going to do about it. Ignore it, make the announcement and then ignore it, or make the announcement and enforce it. If they hope to enforce it, then I think they need Almeyda (and any Mexican players they may bring in) to publicly address the issue at games.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Earthshaker has the best proposal. Mock it with a cartoon Pluto on the big screen.

Beerking, DotMPP, nivla and 2 others repped this.
  7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Perhaps a cartoon showing several rows of fans, one of which is a row of silly-looking cartoon chanting Plutos.

However, as an intellectual-property attorney, you know better than most that Disney would be all over the Quakes with a lawsuit immediately for the use of their image! :)

I don't suppose a cartoon "pou - tine" image would work with the Mexican fans, but it might deter a few Canadians...

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not all that surprising considering how long that chant's been used.

Certain words and phrases in pretty much all languages and cultures have been repeated for so long from generation to generation that their actual meanings/origins have eventually been lost through time (though can usually be researched by those who choose to).

After all, check out the origins of these well-known nursery rhymes. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

raindawg repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reasons: Stupidity and Conservatism.

One good thing about having a Euro GM and a Latin Head Coach is that they think the youngsters should be ready to go at seventeen or eighteen years of age, whereas USian GM's and HC's tend to think that twenty-two or twenty-three is still too young to be a starter. It's a disease born of our other major sports where the kids go to college first, and then the pros. Which is not the regular model for fútbol world wide.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

xbhaskarx, Sactown Soccer and JazzyJ repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not.

You may recall that on goal kicks, fans used to chant You S*** A$$&&&&. We stopped that. League wide.

We can stop the P---- chant, and we damned well should.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

11. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS shut down the mostly nerdy, soft US supporter groups. I remember a lot of supporters were actually against the YSA chant, so the task of getting rid of it was an easy one. They will not shut down the much more hardcore, passionate Mexican fans. The chant is deeply rooted in the Mexican soccer culture, all fans, even women and children love it.

Mighty FIFA tried to get them to stop and they couldn't. If you watch El Tri playing or games involving Liga MX teams you will notice it's louder than ever. It was also the loudest chant at Avaya on Saturday. I am not a fan of it, but I would suggest you come to terms with it and accept it during Quakes games starting next year.

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This encapsulates my view. Don't like the p*to chant but find censorship more offensive.

SalinasQuakesFan and Venceremos repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That "you can't stop it, so you might as well accept it" argument has been used to prop up every dictatorship in history...

xbhaskarx, TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe not. Perhaps Disney would be just fine with seeing a headline, "How Disney's Pluto helped drown out homophobic soccer chant".

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fixed your post. :)

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Planet-Pluto.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

we should just throw this up on the jumbotron and imagine we're all simultaneously contemplating the outer reaches of our solar system.

TyffaneeSue, NedZ and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Quakes05 repped this.
  19. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What if the scoreboard person makes a mistake and shows Uranus? Then we will end up with the same problem

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    anal-bum-cover.jpg

Sactown Soccer and Venceremos repped this.
  21. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so great that you went out of your way and comfort zone to educate those students! Good job!