San Jose Earthquakes - Cruz Azul exhibition (Saturday, 10/13) pre/in/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 27, 2018.

1. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magnus starting? Why? And why risk injury to Wondo in a meaningless game?

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Lots of empty seats tonight along with the dead crowd. Anybody glad they skipped this snorefest?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching on tv. Looks like an away game. Hats off to the Ultras and Quakes fans who are there.

Venceremos and falvo repped this.
  4. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40th minute was that Quakes first shot of the match?

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I hope Baldy has his shit together and we never have to see Eriksson in a Quakes shirt ever again. :mad:

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  6. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How did Fuentes do? I thought this was a 7:30 start and just tuned in

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 0 - 0 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

8. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuentes did ok. wasn't really on the ball that much. First half was a snooze fest, and that’s being nice.

Beerking repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Eriksson sucked more than his usual self.

DotMPP repped this.
  10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not great in my opinion. He was slow to the ball and could not keep up with the opposing players. He made some fairly good decisions with the ball when he did get a hold of it.

Certainly not ready to play at this level. It was FAR different (in a good way) when Flo replaced him in the second half.

11. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 SoccerMan94043, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Wasn't dead... the Cruz Azul, all over the stadium, were very much into it. Second half, when we pulled Quiberg and Fuentes was MUCH better... I think we outplayed them in the second half.

Marie looked pretty good on the right... can either Nick or Marie play left?

TT Added life too when he came in for Wondo.

Odoro needs to be gone... what a waste.

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought Fuentes made a good showing, considering his age and the opponent. He didn't dominate the game but for a first extended look his touch was good and he shows good potential. Certainly, he demonstrated poise.

Every time the announcer warned fans would be ejected for language when there was a goal kick, the objectionable chant just grew louder. The Cruz Azul fans seemed to be laughing at the announcement and the stadium staff just looked impotent with such numbers there.

13. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Calvillo do?

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He looked like he belonged.

DotMPP repped this.
  15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marie looked confident and showed more speed than I remembered. He wasn't afraid to cut inside with the ball when in the attacking third, but, invariable lost the ball to an errant pass or was closed down and lost possession. Still, I liked what I saw.
    Fuentes did not impress, but, no one in the midfield really did in the first half.

We were much better after all the halftime substitutions.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to know. Calvillo should be given every chance to play at this point, no reason not to start him in both the remaining games.

Fuentes on the other hand is 16, just getting him a taste of the professional game in 2018 is good enough, let him spend next season getting regular minutes against grown men in Reno.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We have better records playing teams from foreign leagues than MLS teams this season .

I hate it when we become the away team in these friendly games. But I also love how these fans who think their more famous teams can beat us easily do not get their wish granted.

Is Cruz Azul a better team than us? Certainly yes. Am I impressed by them in this game? No way. We are still not good, but I think we have more scoring chances in this game than Cruz Azul. Also, they got frustrated and started to foul more frequently towards the end of the game.

Sactown Soccer, SJTillIDie and Beerking repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By now, not really sure what FIFA or anyone else for that matter, can or will do about that opposing goalkick chant. It’s pretty much indoctrinated so they should just forget about contesting it.

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it before, and I will say it again, they just need to flash this on the video board on goal kicks.

PLUTO!!!!!
    [​IMG]

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Better get used to it at Avaya every game next season. It will become "tradition".

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s 3 suggestions on stopping the p-chant:
    1. All fans need to take a pledge — that they will report and/or record everyone they see yelling the p-chant. And as we start to report people in real time, and they are ejected from the stadium, the chant will stop.
    2. award someone $10-20 towards a free ticket every time they successfully report someone — other than themselves or their friends — with video evidence.
    3. Oh, oh, and give the better p-catchers a jacket that clearly identifies them in the stands.
    4. Give the p-catchers google glasses!

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it can say on it, "hey, I'm a snitch!"

davez, Beerking and Venceremos repped this.
  23. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    13t3h0.jpg

24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the only method to stop the chant is to enlist the help of the referees and the coach and star player of the opposing team (and this would only work in exhibition games, not meaningful competitions).

1. Every fan entering the stadium is given a piece of paper which explains the chant is not allowed and that ejections will take place, and perhaps "issued" in the visiting team's name. The team can explain that they are guests in the stadium and they expect their fans to behave accordingly in this case.

2. Just before the game stars the video scoreboard will have a video made by the coach and star player saying their own team condemn the chant and expect their true fans to not use the chant.

2. When a kick is taken and the chant is heard the first time, the referee will stop play, the announcer will explain why, and the kick will be retaken.

3. The second time it happens ( I assume the first warning will have no effect) play will stop, and the coach and/or star layers will be given a microphone. They'll announce that fans who use the chant are dishonoring their team and make it impossible for them to play. They can remind the fans about the warning issued at the gate and on the video screen. They should ask fans to ask other fans to cease and desist.

4. The third time play stops and the coach should pull his team from the field for about 5 minutes.. Stadium announcement should be made in Spanish and English about the chant again, explaining that if it happens again, the half will be terminated at that point, and, if it is the second half, the game will be ended by the visiting team and forfeited by the visiting team.

5. The fourth time it happens, carryout the threat in #4.

Do I think this will work or is practical or won't lead to fights inside or outside of the stadium? No, probably not, but nothing less than this will either (unless the visiting team is willing to pull off a star or to cut the number of players on the field by one each time it happens until the game must be forfeited.

DotMPP repped this.
  25. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why punishing the visiting team? Next season, the new set of Quakes fans who will follow Matias and the potential Chivas players that he is bringing, will make the ******** chant a routine for every home game. Like it or not, it is part of the Mexican futbol culture and it should be accepted.

davez repped this.