Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire (Saturday, 5/18) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 18, 2019.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't want to make excuses here, but the conditions affect referees as well, not just the players. There were certainly missed calls, and the missed obstruction is probably the most obvious (but I can't even remember the last time obstruction was called in a game I've watched at any level). You have missed calls. Thankfully, none of them were game altering.

I think from the very beginning of the game, the crew did a good job of making sure the players knew what would be tolerated and what wouldn't. Given the lowered visibility, slippery conditions, things could have gotten out of hand quite easily. They didn't, though, and the calls were fair if not all correct.

TyffaneeSue, Beerking and bsman repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too thought the referee was poor from several assessment aspects, including mechanics and failing to tie his shoelaces properly. I thought he missed or purposefully overlooked quite a few fouls, or as vjle pointed out, called them on the wrong person. Basically he was too far away from play to spot the perpetuators.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well I certainly value your input, MJ! I've never done assessments, and the shoe thing was odd (I guess the pregame for pros doesn't include the obligatory "everyone, double-knot your laces now!" so Shea also lost a boot), but compared to most of the stinkers we seem to get, this crew was excellent.

SoccerMan94043 and mjlee22 repped this.
  4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, we missed the game (in San Diego for a graduation) and I forgot to setup the recording on Univision (it's automatically setup for Comcast Sports Bay Area). Congrats to Wondo and the team!

5. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    on the newer xfinity boxes, you are able to record the team, regardless of the channel. I do this for the quakes and other teams, so at times I will have the English and Spanish channel's broadcast of, say, the USWNT games.

6. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Villareal paid something like 10 Mil for him, so taking 1.5 for him now doesnt seem realistic.

7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, in that @extratime interview of Wondo, he mentioned that Danny Hoesen came up with I think it was a minor hamstring injury at practice. So Wondo didn't know he was starting until the day before the game.